Proposal for Statue of Terry in Salisbury

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Sounds good. *thumbs up* :) I like the design, and really like the idea of the Feegles doing something naughty behind Terry's back. :laugh:

Hopefully the Salisbury Council will give permission. I think they'd be mad not to. ;)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Not that I'll ever see it, but why does the statue have to be so frickin' literal? Instead of a wax museum like figure, why not do something more abstract and representational that represents the world he created? Instead of doing a figure, why not show something like his hat and his glasses to represent him, and then create some kind of collage of some of the characters he creating standing on a DW? To people who don't know who Pterry was, that would be far more interesting (and compel many more people to find his books). If an image was needed, just engrave a small portrait of his face somewhere on it.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
One probable reason is the people who don't read PTerry's books or don't read books at all and there are a few, with a statue they can put a name to the face they might have seen on TV regarding his work with Orangutans or Alzheimer's campaigns.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Who's Wee Dug said:
One probable reason is the people who don't read PTerry's books or don't read books at all and there are a few, with a statue they can put a name to the face they might have seen on TV regarding his work with Orangutans or Alzheimer's campaigns.
But the true benefit of a statue is for people who don't know who the person is. How many statues of old soldiers do you walk by every day not paying attention? That's what would happen with your typical "statue of a guy." But make it more abstract, more symbolic, more representative of what he created and that will grab people's attention.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
What the heck? o_O I replied to this yesterday, as well as other topics, but it looks like all my replies are gone? o_O I don't think I broke THAT many forum rules - in fact, I don't think I broke any. :p So what's going on, eh? :(

At any rate, I had a very well-reasoned and well-put mini-rant about Dug's contention that someone might trip over the Feegles at Pterry's feet. But my rant got et. :( C'est la vie, as our Gallic cousins would say. So now, I shall use my Robe and Staff of Post-Mortem Communication +5 to try and resurrect it! :laugh:

I was trying to say that people who do things like trip over a statue have no-one but themselves to blame, and shouldn't sue. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? I tripped over an improperly-laid flagstone on the pavement this morning on the way to work, but did I sue the council? No! I simply righted myself and went on my way to work. :p

But blaming a statue, or the sculptor, or the council, or anyone else for your own misfortune is ridiculous. It reminds me of a story I read once about an ancient Greek statue that was put on trial for murder. I couldn't remember the name of the person in the statue, but Wikipedia came to the rescue:

Theagenes of Thasos (an ancient Greek olympian -Ed.) was renowned for his extraordinary strength and swiftness... he became distinguished in every kind of athletic contest, and gained numerous victories at the Olympian, Pythian, Nemean, and Isthmian games. Altogether he was said to have won 1300 crowns... the popular story among the Thasians was that Heracles (aka Hercules -Ed.) was his father...

A curious story is told by Pausanias about a statue of Theagenes made by Glaucias of Aegina. There was a man on Thasos who had a grudge against Theagenes, and scourged the statue by way of revenge. One night, the statue fell upon this man, killing him.

The statue was put on trial for murder and exiled by being thrown into the sea, but was later recovered, because the Delphic oracle had declared that the country would remain in a period of barrenness until they restored the statue... The statue in Thasos became the focus of a hero cult and was said to have healing properties.
Should we, as a human race, resort to legal proceedings because we injure ourselves by tripping over a statue? Should be be as superstitious (or more so!) than the ancient Greeks? Sigh. :(

But perhaps we can defuse it with humour. Perhaps, if anyone does trip over the Feegles, there could be a little plaque that would read:

"Ahahahahaha!! Ahahahahaha!!! Ahahahahaha!!!!

BEWARE!!!!!

Yrs,

The Opera Ghost"

What do you think of that, eh? ;)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
RathDarkblade said:
Should we, as a human race, resort to legal proceedings because we injure ourselves by tripping over a statue? Should be be as superstitious (or more so!) than the ancient Greeks? Sigh. :(

But perhaps we can defuse it with humour. Perhaps, if anyone does trip over the Feegles, there could be a little plaque that would read:

BEWARE!!!!!

Yrs,

The Opera Ghost"

If you trip over a Feegle, the plaque should be an "answer" from the Feegles, like:

"Crivins, ya clumsy bigjob! Step oona Feegle and y' get a crack in the heed!"

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
RathDarkblade said:
What the heck? o_O I replied to this yesterday, as well as other topics, but it looks like all my replies are gone? o_O I don't think I broke THAT many forum rules - in fact, I don't think I broke any. :p So what's going on, eh? :(
You're not the only one whose posts have gone walkabout Rath. The forum crashed the other day and most of mine had disappeared along with a few others when it came back. Tony is aware but it looks like they are gone forever. :( (Mind you, my reply as to the Scottish and Welsh guys probably did break all sorts of forum rules. :laugh: )

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Penfold said:
RathDarkblade said:
You're not the only one whose posts have gone walkabout Rath. The forum crashed the other day and most of mine had disappeared along with a few others when it came back. Tony is aware but it looks like they are gone forever. :( (Mind you, my reply as to the Scottish and Welsh guys probably did break all sorts of forum rules. :laugh: )
You could always repost it Penner's. :laugh: :mrgreen:

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
raisindot said:
RathDarkblade said:

BEWARE!!!!!

Yrs,

The Opera Ghost"

If you trip over a Feegle, the plaque should be an "answer" from the Feegles, like:

"Crivins, ya clumsy bigjob! Step oona Feegle and y' get a crack in the heed!"
:laugh: Perfect!

I always loved Wee Mad Arthur's cameo in "Feet of Clay":

"Can yer mother sew? Eh, pal? Then get her to stitch this!"
(...followed by a nutting that the two rat catchers wouldn't soon forget) ;)

User Menu

Newsletter