Question about a perplexing Lords and Ladies footnote

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Once again re-reading (or re-listening, actually) to Lords and Ladies.

At one point Nanny Ogg and Casanunda emerge from a fireplace in a restaurant that was vandalized by elves. The narration is:

"The place looked as though it had been visited by Genghiz Cohen.*"

And the footnote reads something like:

*Hence the term 'wholesale destruction.'

I've always wondered about what he meant here (there's no explanation of it on Lspace). The only conclusion that I can come to is that PTerry is making a Jewish joke here, given that Jewish merchants are often associated with the wholesaling business.

Does this make sense or do you see another interpretation? I can't see why he would choose to be literal in this instance when most of his footnotes are supposed to be puns on in-jokes or some kind.

J-I-B

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
That's pretty much the way I'd always read it. Cohen is mentioned as early as Light Fantastic, although I'm not sure we know his first name at that stage. :)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tesco was started by T. E. Stockwell and Jack Cohen. That might be an obscure reference, but then they often are.

(Edited to show where the name comes from ;) )

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
On Lspace, Pterry mentions that the name "Genghis Cohen" comes from the name of a kosher Chinese restaurant in LA.

But the footnote may also allude to the Tesco founder, although the stereotype of Jewish wholesalers is so widespread that you really don't need to associate it with a given name.

Given that authors from Marlowe to Shakespeare to Dickens have created virulent portrayals of Jews, that Pterry actually created one as a once-legendary warrior rather than a thief or usurer is a bit refreshing.

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
raisindot said:
But the footnote may also allude to the Tesco founder, although the stereotype of Jewish wholesalers is so widespread that you really don't need to associate it with a given name.
True, except that this might be lost on a British audience, or some might think it's just a Jewish joke, and not funny. If it's about one person, then it is funny. But I'm not convinced it is about one person.

User Menu

Newsletter