Question on Hardback and softback books.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
I was in WHSmith the other day and i saw a softback copy of UA. Now, my hardcover version is 400 pages, but this softback was nearly 500. So iwas wondering, is there more in the softback version of UA, or are the softbacks always longer and i haven't noticed before. Thanks in advance.

Joe

joemcf

Constable
Apr 12, 2010
Bothwell, Scotland
I suppose but i still think they could. It wouldn't bee too hard, and i've always noticed on the hardbacks that the text seemed quite big. Oh well. Didn't really matter. Was just wondering and trying to get back into the forum again. I forgot to reread The fifth elephant but i will hopefully be able to join in with the next discussion.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
If it was the same size it would have cost you more, the size of a normal paperback in the UK is called a B3, if the editon is the same size of the hardback but with paper covers it is a B2 or referred to as a trade paperback in the UK.

hope that answers your question. ;) :)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
To make things more complicated, there's also 'trade-paper' size and now 'airport size' - which I think is basically a hardback with soft covers. :)

What is with Discworld books having a MASSIVE font that makes each book like 2 inches thick? If they made the font smaller, it'd be more convenient to carry around.

I think there are 3 kinds of book:

Hardcover - the one with the cardboard covers that the publishers release first in order to make the most profit.
Trade paperback/that floppy one - the high end paperback with the large pages, smooth white nonrecycled paper, and doesn't bend the spine when you open it halfway.
Massmarket paperback - the tiny 500 page, 2inch thick brick with grey-ish recycled paper that has a spine crease everytime you open it. It's the cheapest one.

User Menu

Newsletter