Radio/Audio Dramas...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Seeing since there is no other applicable thread (or indeed forum), I've decided to create this one. Is there anyone here who listens to audio dramas, either done for radio or done straight to CD/digital media?

I have. Besides listening to all 'phases' of The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I have also listened to the Doctor Who Big Finish audio adventures Terror Firma, The Juggernauts, and The Nightmare Fair, as well as the first part of I, Davros.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
DaveC said:
Just dr who audio books that sometimes come free with the paper. Quite enjoyable. :)

Although I keep meaning to get the original League of Gentlemen radio stuff...
I actually have the CDs of the radio show, but haven't gotten around to listening to them. I also have the other three installments of I, Davros and Doctor Who: Davros as part of the Davros DVD boxset.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
There have also been some excellent radio adaptations of Pratchett books. Sadly, the shortsighted people at the BBC haven't made them available to buy on CD.

The Lord of the Rings BBC adaptation was very good indeed. Radio is an excellent medium for fantasy. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
There have also been some excellent radio adaptations of Pratchett books. Sadly, the shortsighted people at the BBC haven't made them available to buy on CD.

The Lord of the Rings BBC adaptation was very good indeed. Radio is an excellent medium for fantasy. :laugh:
Mainly because of the savings on special effects. :)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Absolutely! But you don't get special effects when you read a book either. :laugh:
Yeah, but a book is a more 'at leisure' thing, while audio drama is more continuous. Plus, a book is less constraining on the imagination than a radio drama.

If I remember correctly, Ian Holm played Frodo in The Lord of the Rings, in the radio adaptation, I mean.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Quatermass said:
If I remember correctly, Ian Holm played Frodo in The Lord of the Rings, in the radio adaptation, I mean.
That's right. :) I'd put up a link to the Wikipedia cast list but as ever, Wiki have screwed up the url address. :rolleyes:

Just Google 'lord of the rings bbc' and you'll get it easily enough. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Tonyblack said:
Quatermass said:
That's right. :) I'd put up a link to the Wikipedia cast list but as ever, Wiki have screwed up the url address. :rolleyes:

Just Google 'lord of the rings bbc' and you'll get it easily enough. :laugh:
I did find it. Interesting cast. David Collings as Legolas, Jack May as Theoden, Stephen Thorne as Treebeard, and Michael Spice as a Nazgul are the names that I noticed particularly. They all seem to be very appropriate choices.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
ramtopsman said:
ive just recently added small gods BBC radio play to my channel its really good
Yes I enbjoyed that one when it was on. The adaptaion of Nation was very good as well.

The Beeb are crazy not to sell these. :rolleyes:

User Menu

Newsletter