Raising Steam - before you read it, what did you think might happen?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Water you mean? We've already seen the Ankh-Morpork underground, as long ago as Men at Arms and Thud! :)

Anyway, the title (to me) obviously had strong connotations to steam -- and its natural proponents, goblins. Goblins are traditionally drawn with unusual and spiky haircuts, like fans of a certain musical genre in the 70s. Discworld gets its first steam punk? :)

I also find it interesting that, in the first few pages, we are introduced to Magnus Magnusson, a dwarf who calls himself a "scout". His troop seems all-inclusive, and issues proficiency badges; and indeed, a boy-scout-like association in Morpork is occasionally referenced throughout the book. Might all these be references to Scouting for Trolls? :)

Yes, we never saw the book, but in "A Blink of the Screen", we saw a little piece (which STP called a "squib") entitled The Minutes of the Meeting To Form The Proposed Ankh-Morpork Federation of Scouts (complied by Rufus Drumknott). This hilarious little piece refers to the "possible survival in an urban environment" of said scouts.

Personally, I was looking forward to (and hoping to see) Raising Taxes. There, but for the embuggerance ... :cry:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I agree =Tamar. I think there were indicators in previous books. The idea that Ankh Morpork is described as being built on Ankh Morpork and that anyone with a shovel could tunnel their way to another part of AM. Also in Thud! one of the Dwarf signs sounds rather like the symbol for the London Underground.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
When I read it, I got the impression that the goblins - some, at least - had already learned to build long tunnels, and maybe even some kind of carts were used, because they took to train work so quickly.
I still wish he had found a way to do both, the overland train system and the A-M Underground trains. Did Moist even get a new hat?

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I hadn't picked up the connection to Scouting for Trolls. Good catch, Rath!

I recall a comment somewhere that pTerry couldn't come up with anything funny to write about taxes, so he switched to trains.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I recall a comment somewhere that pTerry couldn't come up with anything funny to write about taxes, so he switched to trains.
Gee, I don't know. I recall Vetinari (in Jingo) talking about getting the maximum amount of milk with the minimum amount of moo. (And all he gets these days is moo).

I've worked in accounting for 17 years, and I agree that most of it is a day-to-day grind. But sometimes, people ask you the stupidest questions. Like (and what I would love to say, if I could, in italics):

- *whiny* "Do I have to pay my invoice?" (No, we just send it to you for fun)

- (When I worked in a company that ran courses) "I didn't want to do the course, so I went to the football instead." (How nice for you, but did you tell anyone? No? Then you still have to pay)

- After telling me their life story for 20 minutes: "Which course should I do -- the one in Sydney or the one in Melbourne?" (I don't care. Pick one)

- (After reading off the screen and telling the customer that her 6 invoices total $105, she says - very condescendingly...) "Are you sure? Did you add it up yourself?" (No, but now I apply the Idiot Tax. Your total is now $120)

- "But I sent you cash in the mail! Why is my invoice not paid?!?" (I don't know where to start)

- "Why is my bill so high?!" ('Cos maths)

- "Why is my bill so low? It wasn't that low last month!" ('Cos maths)

- "F*** OFF, YOU MOTHER-LOVING PIPE-CLEANER!!! I'LL PAY IT WHEN I WANT TO!!!" *slams phone down* (OK, lady. You do you)

- (from when I was working in a hospital) "How do you know my name?! How do you know my number?! You're STALKING me, aren't you?!? ADMIT IT! I'M GONNA SUE YOU!!! I'm gonna take you to the International Court of Human Rights!!!" *slams phone down* (Jesus, lady. Chill. All that because of a bill of an X-ray)

And, my personal favourite (from when I was working in a hospital) ...

- *very angrily* "Why are you messing with my medication?!?!" (Sigh. I work in accounts, lady. I don't have access to your medication. But it sounds like you need more)

Sorry, I know this is long. I need a hug. =(

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter