Regular Reading or AudioTape

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Werewolf87

Lance-Constable
Mar 22, 2011
I prefer the old-fashioned way myself, as I am one of these people that don't really see the words but have a movie running behind their eyes while reading. Having someone else intonate character voices and moods would disrupt my film. The voice would probably also influence me to give characters a face that doesn't fit.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I usually can't be doing with talking books, as I tend to get distracted too easily and miss huge bits of the story. They have their place though, and if I'm cycling or driving alone I've been known to listen to one.

TwoShotTino

Lance-Corporal
Mar 19, 2011
Aylesbury
I've tried to listen to a few audio books, even ones I didn't have the inclination to sit and read, but as mentioned above I too

1 Make voices up in my head as to how the character should sound(Hard to do when they all originate from the same voice)
2 Tend to miss chunks of the story through concentration
3 Find that (especially with the Discworld series) a lot of the jokes don't come across in audio as well as they do in text

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I prefer a proper book, but I do have a lot of audio books too, cassette & c/d's. Kniting would be a good thing to do when listening, as my late Mother used to do while listening to the radio, but I can't knit. :laugh: :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
I never listen to an audiobook for a book that I haven't previously read.

And I never accept the idea of someone saying they've 'read' a book when all they've done is listen to the audiobook. Two totally different processes. Reading requires the use of abstract thought process that begin with assembling letters into words into sentences into paragraphs into chapters, understanding their literal meaning, and then having an emotional or intellectual reaction.

Audiobook listening skips all the abstract bits and goes straight to the reaction part.

That said, I do enjoy listening to certain audiobooks (particularly the better DW books) when I'm exercising or when I'm on a long car trip. Having read the book first makes the experience far more enjoyable, especially great when a great reader (like Stephen Briggs) voices the characters in ways that make the words you read come alive.

User Menu

Newsletter