RIP Dame Beryl Bainbridge

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've just had an odd experience. I was going through my bookshelves and found a copy of a Beryl Bainbridge book that I didn't realise I had (Winter Garden) and thought I'd Google her books to find out what this one was about (she's one of my favourite authors). I found a Wiki on her and discovered to my dismay that she died on Friday 2nd July this year - two days ago. :(

Wikipedia said:
Dame Beryl Margaret Bainbridge, DBE (21 November 1934 – 2 July 2010) was an English novelist.

Bainbridge won the Whitbread Awards prize for best novel in 1977 and 1996; she was nominated five times for the Booker Prize. She was described in 2007 as "a national treasure". In 2008, The Times newspaper named Bainbridge among their list of "The 50 greatest British writers since 1945".
If you haven't read her books, I'd urge you to do so. They are marvellously comic while at the same time being intensely tragic.

She puts the reader into the story as an observer and allows you to see what the protagonists are blind to - often with hysterical consequences. Her book 'Young Adolf' for example tells the fictionalised story of a 23 year old Hitler going to Liverpool to stay with his half brother Alois and Bridget his Irish wife. This story is actually based on fact - Adolf Hitler did indeed live in Liverpool.

Anyway, Beryl Bainbridge will be sadly missed.

R.I.P. Dame Beryl :(

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
I was talking to Tony about Beryl (his finding a book he didn't know he had) and found the article/obituary he has a link to in his last post. It's really an essay about her life and works--2 pages and extemely well written. I'm going to have to read some of her novels now.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I saw her talking at a conference years ago when I was still at school, and she was so charming and funny it made me go out and find some of her books.

RIP Beryl :(

User Menu

Newsletter