Sam Vimes

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Dec 31, 2008
Japan
Hi Danny

Here are the books in chronological order:

Guards Guards
Men at arms
Feet of clay
Jingo
Fifth elephant
Night watch
Thud

He also makes cameo appearence is Monstrous regiment and The Truth.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
When I say "cameo", I mean he's not one of the central characters in the book.

I'm re-reading Going Postal at the moment but don't recall him appearing in the book, whereas I do remember Carrot and Angua appearing. But I could be wrong, as usual. :laugh:

WARNING! CONTROVESY AHEAD!

As for "Where's my cow?", I could forget that very easily, because I wasn't very impressed by it. If you'll excuse the puns, I thought it was a "cash cow", designed to "milk" Discworld fans.

I would also class Discworld stamps, the Unseen University leather bound editions, and probably (but I hope I'm wrong) the forthcoming football trading cards, as similar. Fair enough, because Discworld is a business designed to make money and if people want to buy these items, good luck to them. I personally would like Sir Pterry to earn as much money as he possible can, but it doesn't mean I approve of, or would buy everything Discworld-ly.

(waits to be shot down in flames and burnt as a heretic)

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
Why would anyone shoot you down in flames? I think everyone is welcome and entitled to an opinion of their own. I kind of like Where's My Cow. Shows you something about my maturity maybe. :)

Also since the assorted Discworld related books have been brought up I am looking to purchase all three Discworld Companions if anyone has them and are selling.

Dec 31, 2008
Japan
I'm not complaining about all Discworld related products, mainly the ones I mentioned. The Discworld companions are very useful, likewise the diaries.

I bet that before Christmas, some of the football trading cards will be selling on ebay for $50 each.

(If I'd posted that comment about the stamps on the CA site I would have been lynched!) :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome to the site Danny! :laugh:

Vimes part in The Truth is interesting because we see him very much from someone else's point of view.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
I very much liked Vimes in the Truth as well.

Brace yourselves if you are sitting on a chair with poor back support... ;)

I agree with Pooh on the merchandising front, but maybe not entirely for the same reason. I have a mildish problem with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and so I purposely don't look at the stamps or other 'collectibles' else I'd be a lot poorer than I already am. The housemate 'discovered' Pins long before Stanley graced the page (1993 in Orlando in fact - I loath Disney with a passion sometimes...) and has spent a small fortune on them - that's also eBay though - don't start me on that. :x Ditto the Lego figures as well which is why I haven't really posted in that thread :rolleyes:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Where's My Cow is a book you might read once or twice, but apart from that it's a book to own as part of a Pratchett collection. It's like 'Wit and Wisdom' - bless her heart, Sharlene got me a copy and it's part of my collection, but it's not something I'm likely to read. I'd rather read the books. :laugh:

Beth

Lance-Corporal
Aug 18, 2009
Godalming, Surrey
www.bethworlds.com
Agreed on Wit and Wisdom. Good to have but I don't enjoy reading it.

I have a mildish problem with OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and so I purposely don't look at the stamps or other 'collectibles' else I'd be a lot poorer than I already am.
Me too! :eek:

I haven't read Where's My Cow but I still want to read it ... I agree slightly with Pooh :eek: ! But doesn't stop me from wanting to buy it ... like Jan I get a bit obsessive over certain things. :laugh: ! I don't want everything Discworldy either - but I'd like a Nightwatch pyjama set to wear in bed ... :twisted:

poohbcarrot said:
WARNING! CONTROVESY AHEAD!

As for "Where's my cow?", I could forget that very easily, because I wasn't very impressed by it. If you'll excuse the puns, I thought it was a "cash cow", designed to "milk" Discworld fans.
I found that the best book for my sons first pratchett XD though i myself do not read it as i would Men at arms or Thud! But hey, it gets my son to sleep (conviniantly, every 6 o clock, without fail... XD)

Book of the Month

Good Omens

"Pratchett’s wackiness collaborates with Gaiman’s morbid humour; the result is a humanist delight to be savoured and read again and again."

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter