Saving Luke

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Apr 29, 2009
London
I was going to start this off in the Where's My Cow thread, but I got a bit carried away, so thought I'd start a new thread, because I knew it would ruin the Where's My Cow thread.

I know you are all going to kill me, but I bought WMC, read it with a touch of Chardonnay assisting. ;)

Loved it, and GAVE it to my friend, Mary, to read. She reads all my TP books.

I told her to keep it for her grandson, Luke. He was around ten or eleven at the time (he's now nearly 14, and what that kid is going through at the moment would make parents shudder).
He LOVED it, and made every visitor to his house sit down and read it as soon as they came in! :laugh:

Luke has a problem with reading/writing, but his maths is amazingly good.

His school has promised a "scribe" whenever he does an exam, and have not provided one for the last few months.

According to Mary, when he has a scribe, his results are in the 90%s. When he doesn't have a scribe, his marks are well down. o_O

I told Mary to keep my copy of Eric, as I thought it was a nice, easy, entrance into Discoworld, and she told me that although it took a time (or should that be Toook? ;) ) for him to get through it, he really enjoyed it.

The poor kid is living with his Bi-Polar mum, who stopped taking her meds about 8 months ago, steals his cash gifts to buy herself pot to smoke (and expects Granny to pay the bills), and yet he is, amazingly, still very, very grounded.

Most other kids in his position would be in gangs, selling/doing drugs, or running round with knives in their pockets by now.

Her son (his father), who is not blameless in this scenario, needs a real kick up the crunchie.

This week, he was seeking help from the NHS ( :rolleyes: ) to get the mother sectioned, but they really won't help unless you happen to be holding a gun to somebody else's head.

Neither of Luke's parents have given him any pocket money for 2 years. The mother seems to think that Granny/Grandpa will pay for everything.

The mother's parents/siblings disown her every now and then (mostly when they have rows on Facebook), and her entire family is a nightmare, from what I can understand.

Mary told me the other week that Luke likes Manga (I've no idea, except that it's Japanese comics), so I went onto Amazon, and bought a "How to Draw Manga" book, which had great reviews on Amazon.

He was thrilled - living with Granny at the time, coz mum said he was a ... well let's not go there.... (at times she chucks his stuff out of his room into the communal bins - XBoxes and everything) :eek: - and he danced round the room. :laugh:

Now it's half term, and he's back at Mummy's and half the time she's asleep.

It's no wonder that the cold Mary had last week has left the poor woman coughing her lungs up.

RIGHT.

I've got that off "my" chest, but I would just like to point out that although I sometimes give my TP books away, it's in a REAL good cause.

[sighs smiley]

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
poor little sod :cry: i feel ver sorry for him, my parents spent an awful lot of time with me getting me thru my dyslexia when i was his age and younger and i cant really imagine wot he has to cope with at his age

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
That is so tragic. That's abuse as much as him being physically hurt. :( I'm glad he has some good things in his life and that he obviously takes such joy from simple kindnesses. :(

User Menu

Newsletter