Snuff for 12 yr old?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
Yeah, it depends on the kid. I was 13 when I read jurassic park and Crichton's other works at the time. which included ones like Disclosure, Congo, Andromeda strain and sphere. If you think he can handle it, by all means. most kids usually can i think.

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
Another consideration would be whether or not the 12 year old has read other Pratchett. If so, then definitely yes. But I would hesitate to give it to a 12 year old who hadn't read Pratchett because so much in the book depends on knowledge of the previous Vimes books.

If this is a first taste of Pratchett, I would recommend Nation which I think a 12 year old would find fascinating.

chrissyj

Dec 16, 2012
Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! What helpfull insight you have offered :laugh:
I might just start on the other books suggested as he hasn't read any Pratchett yet...
Cheers! And Merry Christmas! :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
A Merry Christmas to you too! :laugh:

As stated - Guards! Guards! is the first of the City Watch sub series, where as Snuff is the latest in the series. Guards! Guards! is a good introduction as it features a naive country boy just arriving in the big city to start a job in the city watch (think police force), so you get to see how thinks work through his eyes. It also has dragons in it. ;)

May 9, 2013
Jason said:
Welcome to the site.

Snuff deals with some adult themes such as murder and decapitation so it depends on the maturity of the 12 year old. It also features a lot of pooh jokes so that might appeal.
I have to agree. A big NO for me.

Loopyc

Lance-Constable
Apr 23, 2013
Norfolk
Harry potter is meant for kids and they can be quite dark - at least all discworld books are humorous and the bad guys come off worse :dance:
'I shall wear midnight' had lots of nasty bits and is for young readers but thinking about it the goblin killing in Snuff maybe a bit much for a new TP reader - as others have said depends on the 12 year old :)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Tonyblack said:
The "His Dark Materials" books by Philip Pullman were written for children and are very dark indeed. It really does depend on the child.
I would not recommend Philip Pullman's books for anyone, children or adult, unless you really enjoy depressing books in which people try their best and fail. I read at least six of them and they were all that way.

Loopyc

Lance-Constable
Apr 23, 2013
Norfolk
Me too :laugh: I found the edge chronicles far creepier , added advantage of reading to children at bed time - you get to discover books you might not think of reading :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Best to let the Kid know about god and all that as early as possible I suppose.
But seriously His dark materials is a great set of books but I'd recommend it to very few twelve years olds.
I have two sets of the books currently lent out to people (one i'll never see again) . On another note his Grimm fairy Tales is a fabulous book with really good insights and backgrounds. Well worth it.
And giving the local catholic priest a copy of Jesus the Goodman and Christ the Scoundral is always good for a laugh :laugh:

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Its still one of my favourites. I think I have 6 different editions as well as John Connollys Book of Lost Things whose events are all based on Grimms .

User Menu

Newsletter