SPOILERS Snuff *Warning Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Once you've read, this is the place to discuss it. ;)

If you haven't read it, then go no further.
Don't say you weren't warned!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Already, there are spoilers on TV Tropes.

I intend to read them anyway. I don't mind being spoiled, as I like to read anyway what happens. Even knowing what happens, the journey itself is more interesting than the ending. :)

A

Anonymous

Before I say anything: (As i am still waiting till my library gets it) Did I see it correctly that again the premise is not a big coincidence but again orchestrated by vetinari?

EDIT: Scratch that, read tvtropes.... came to the conclusion to NOT read snuff. Sorry, folks, but tvtropes made UA sound interessting...but THIS?! from what I read there and from samples I can as well raid the dvd-rental-store and have a seltzerberger-marathon.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
LilMaibe said:
Before I say anything: (As i am still waiting till my library gets it) Did I see it correctly that again the premise is not a big coincidence but again orchestrated by vetinari?

EDIT: Scratch that, read tvtropes.... came to the conclusion to NOT read snuff. Sorry, folks, but tvtropes made UA sound interessting...but THIS?! from what I read there and from samples I can as well raid the dvd-rental-store and have a seltzerberger-marathon.
Why? o_O

A

Anonymous

Quatermass said:
LilMaibe said:

Why? o_O
Scatalogical 'humour', holier than thou races, holier than thou communities (read and heard a few things by now, book acts as if NO BLEEPING city/country can do anything without AM showing them how to) holier than though characters, etc.

Sorry, but...well, the scene Rob read in sydney (i think it was) actually had me, as I couldn't help but imagining the part after 'and vimes died' as a monty python style animation, which is awesome. But then the other samples, bits and pieces etc came along and lost me again :(
It makes me plain sad (and angry to a degree) to see such things happen to and in the one series that TAUGHT me how to avoid just those things when writing :(

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
LilMaibe said:
Quatermass said:
LilMaibe said:

Why? o_O
Scatalogical 'humour', holier than thou races, holier than thou communities (read and heard a few things by now, book acts as if NO BLEEPING city/country can do anything without AM showing them how to) holier than though characters, etc.

Sorry, but...well, the scene Rob read in sydney (i think it was) actually had me, as I couldn't help but imagining the part after 'and vimes died' as a monty python style animation, which is awesome. But then the other samples, bits and pieces etc came along and lost me again :(
It makes me plain sad (and angry to a degree) to see such things happen to and in the one series that TAUGHT me how to avoid just those things when writing :(
:(

I shouldn't have mentioned TV Tropes.

Anyway, you only have what they wrote about. If anyone can raise scatological humour to a higher form of humour, it'd be Terry Pratchett. :)

A

Anonymous

Quatermass said:
:(

I shouldn't have mentioned TV Tropes.

Anyway, you only have what they wrote about. If anyone can raise scatological humour to a higher form of humour, it'd be Terry Pratchett. :)
Oh, no worries, would have read it sooner or later anyway (I am one of the people that can read a book/watch a movie even if I know the ending).
But frankly, from what I have read (from the book itself too) the attempt to rise it failed.

YMMV though

Oct 14, 2011
First thing I noticed after reading it

M
I
N
O
R

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

Is this the first Discworld Novel that doesn't feature the character Death at all?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
No, I think one of the Tiffany books doesn't have him in. And possibly one of the other books he only appears in someone's imagination. I can't remember which though. o_O

Welcome to the site. :laugh:

Inkmusic

Aug 29, 2011
worshipdubya said:
Is this the first Discworld Novel that doesn't feature the character Death at all?
Yes, I noticed that too! And I thought that it was just me, and I skipped the page he was on, or something. It really detracted from the book, I thought. If he'd had Death in it, it would be perfect.

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
LilMaibe said:
Quatermass said:
LilMaibe said:

Why? o_O

I wouldn't want to comment on a book based on what was said in tvtropes said. As far as I can tell it's reviews aresimply the opinions of various people who may or may not know anything about writing. However, I would have read anything on the site, but when I searched the site for Snuff it said there were no reviews. So I don't know what you're trying to refer to in the part of your post marked "Edit"

Now when Publisher's Weekly gives Snuff it's highest commendation with a "starred review" I would pay attention to that. One really needs to read a Pratchett book several times before commenting, in my opinion, and it makes me quite :devil: to have such an unjustified (I could use stronger words, but I won't) pan from someone who wants to be a writer and who should have better sense and taste.

I will also add that I've only read about half of the book so far, but I am finding it both stylistically and satirically the equal of I Shall Wear Midnight which I consider the best book Pratchett had written.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
swreader said:
LilMaibe said:
Quatermass said:
LilMaibe said:

Why? o_O

I wouldn't want to comment on a book based on what was said in tvtropes said. As far as I can tell it's reviews aresimply the opinions of various people who may or may not know anything about writing. However, I would have read anything on the site, but when I searched the site for Snuff it said there were no reviews. So I don't know what you're trying to refer to in the part of your post marked "Edit"

Now when Publisher's Weekly gives Snuff it's highest commendation with a "starred review" I would pay attention to that. One really needs to read a Pratchett book several times before commenting, in my opinion, and it makes me quite :devil: to have such an unjustified (I could use stronger words, but I won't) pan from someone who wants to be a writer and who should have better sense and taste.

I will also add that I've only read about half of the book so far, but I am finding it both stylistically and satirically the equal of I Shall Wear Midnight which I consider the best book Pratchett had written.
Hey, lay off LilMaibe! :devil: It's my fault she looked at TV Tropes. That's an unfair reaction, swreader!

Personally, looking at TV Tropes only makes me want to read Snuff more.

A

Anonymous

And as said, TVTropes made UA sound good to me back in the day.
On a further note:
Newspapers nowadays don't DARE to say anything negative about an established author. (or at least those reviews are very, very, very rare) So newspaper reviews mean nothing to me.

Frankly, if things continue like that I will write a review bout what I didn't like about UA, as from what I saw Snuff has the same 'problems'

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
I really enjoyed Snuff however I will refrain from commenting further until I have waited a week and read it again so that the scope of the book is firmly in my mind.

However to LilMaibe I suggest reading the book not what others have written about it before making stupid statements about what it is about and what is in it.

User Menu

Newsletter