So...is The City Watch going to be a TV show or..?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
So...is The City Watch going to be a TV show or what? It says on TVTropes that Pratchett is working on a live action series but as far as I know nothing has come of it...

and, in an unrelated note Gotham is an awesome show. :3

Jace

Constable
Sep 29, 2014
Well the thing is it was announced a while ago, right? Like 2011? It seems like it's in Development Hell.

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012
think about it like this, most console games take around 5 years or so to be finished and released to the public. i understand tv shows/films arent made the same way of course but it's still something that takes a lot of money and work to get done.

city watch was announced in 2011? thats a measly 3 years, as for troll bridge... what do they prioritise? cause they can only do one thing at a time right? city watch vs troll bridge.

More specifically, Troll Bridge is a fan film - on which not a single person is getting paid*, so work on it is purely a passion project on behalf of hundreds of crew, cast, and post production workers.

The productions being run by Narrativia are progressing, but as with all TV/film projects, they also need financial backing, which is I think mostly where things have stalled since the original announcement. Without a TV station backing such projects never really get off the ground. Quite often you hear of book/comic adaptations being "made into a movie/tv show" and then nothing happens for years, and it's usually because the people with the money aren't prepared to fund it *right now*.

Take for example the American Gods TV show. A few years ago it was announced that it'd be an HBO series (as a follow up to their successful shows True Blood and Game of Thrones) but earlier this year it turns out that deal ended up falling through, but the Starz network decided to fund it instead. The same production company is probably making the show, but it's just partnered with a different TV network (for the financial backing)

*except for the helicopter pilot.

BB08

Lance-Constable
Dec 17, 2016
Does anyone know if there have been updates on this? I Googled it a few weeks ago but couldn't find anything new or conclusive.

I think Terry passing away will have slowed down movement on this (still not used to him being gone) because I imagine he would have contributed heavily to the writing, but there is plenty of material for other writers to work with. I was quite excited about this idea and spent a lot of time musing who would be best to play Vimes.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Daniel was at this years Discworldcon and talked some length on it, nothing has slowed down but Rob is on hand with the Narativia crew, its all unpaid staff working on the film being a fan one. Catch up with it on YouTube or twitter for news updates, he wanted to show it at the Berlin film fest he did not have enough done. Link:.......
http://www.trollbridge.film/single-post ... the-Future

I was commenting about The Watch TV show... might have got some wires crossed :)

Troll Bridge recently announced (as in, last week) that they won't meet their hopeful February release date (this is the link Who's Wee Dug has posted), but they're still close to finishing it next year. There's been updates via newsletter and social media almost every week for the past six months. They've also started doing Facebook Live videos each week (most of which are posted to YouTube later). So plenty of news on the Troll Bridge front.

Just not very much on the Watch front.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
What I'd like to know is... if this ever becomes a TV show, will we Antipodeans ever see it, or will we be forced to wait a year or two before we see it (as usual)? Or (naturally) will we have to hunt down DVDs of it, if they even exist? :(

(I never got to see "The Colour of Magic" until I finally managed to track down a DVD of it. It was the only one in the shop) :(

I'm so SICK of overseas books, games and DVDs being taxed so heavily in this country - an extra 20+ percent - on top of the markup being charged overseas. The fershlugginer "Australia Tax" can kiss my.......... bottom. :devil:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I was under the impression from the DWCon that they had pretty much gone back to the drawing board with this and were going to start it from Guards! Guards! and work their way through the Watch books while adding in the new characters and story lines later. :laugh:

I also think they were aiming for a worldwide release at the time (but that might change as well).

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
It's about damn time. >;) Here's hoping it's a good one - and also that us Antipodeans can actually see the darn thing, rather than endless repeats of US-style reality shows, cooking shows and ordinary-people-with-ordinary-talents-being-judged shows. I'm so darn sick of reality TV. There's never anything worth watching on Aussie TV, it drives you frantic. >:-(

That's why I spend so much of my time online instead ;)

User Menu

Newsletter