SPOILERS Soul Music Discussion **Spoilers**

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
**Warning**

This thread is for discussing Soul Music in some depth. If you haven’t read the book then read on at your own risk – or, better still, go and read the book and join in the fun.

For those of us that are going to join in the discussion, here are a few guidelines:

Please feel free to make comparisons to other Discworld books, making sure you identify the book and the passage you are referring to. Others may not be as familiar with the book you are referencing, so think before you post.

Sometimes we’ll need to agree to disagree – only Terry knows for sure what he was thinking when he wrote the books and individuals members may have widely different interpretations – so try to keep the discussion friendly.

We may be discussing a book that you don’t much care for – don’t be put off joining in the discussion. If you didn’t care for the book, then that in itself is a good topic for discussion.

Please note: there is no time limit to this discussion. Please feel free to add to it at any time - especially if you've just read the book.

And finally:

Please endeavour to keep the discussion on topic. If necessary I will step in and steer it back to the original topic – so no digressions please!

Soul Music by Terry Pratchett
Originally published 1994

Death has gone missing (again) – He’s trying to “forget” and The Duty is being filled by Susan, his granddaughter, whether she likes it or not.

Meantime a young bard from Llamedos has come to Ankh-Morpork to seek his fortune as a musician. He dies, but the music keeps him alive despite the best efforts of the Musicians Guild, the Assassins Guild and even CMOT Dibber.
-------------------------
I’m never too sure what to make of this one. I used to think it was the ‘music’ version of Moving Pictures – but it’s a much better book than that. Terry has great fun squeezing in musical references and I’m sure we’ll all have fun pointing them out during this discussion --- but the story is a good one as well. It goes some way to tie up some loose ends from Mort and even goes on to inspire some later books.

Best of all, we meet Susan for the first time.

But what did you all think?

Want to write the introduction for the next discussion (Maskerade)? PM me and let me know if you’d like to – first come first served. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Let's talk about some of the gags. :laugh:

This is a book that is bursting with references to music of various types. There are also some 'Welsh' jokes in there.

For example, Buddy comes from Llamedos. If you read that name backwards it's 'sod 'em all'. In the Welsh poet, Dylan Thomas' book, Under Milk Wood, the events take place in a village named 'Llareggrub' - which is 'bugger all' spelled backwards. :laugh:

Imp y Celyn really can be translated as 'bud of the holly' (Buddy Holly)

And Sioni Bod Da (the song that Buddy sings with his harp at the festival) can be translated as 'Johnny be good' (Johnny B Goode by Chuck Berry).

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I have the cartoon version DVD of Soul Music as well. If this is relevent, to the discussion, I'd like to know what others who have it think? I actually liked it.
I thought Susan was exactly as I had imagined her. The actual music was very imaginative too. You couldn't get that with the book. My only but, I didn't think it was that well drawn/painted, in places.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Haven't read SM for yonks so it's good that I had to reread and caught up with all the gags and some of the set pieces that get re-cycled - like Susan standing in her own little space in front of the stage with everyone oblivious to her being there (that was also in Good Omens was it? Or was it in an anthology somewhere or other?) :)

One thing that did strike me though - mainly because I've been working on web graphics for Discworld in the other place a lot lately :rolleyes: are the differences in illustrating Death on The Bike - here's Paul Kidby's as we have Josh's up top already

Now aesthetically it has to be Paul's that's the better rendition since he has the Dean's coat on for starters (best rune pune in the book! :laugh: ) as well as the blue flames - but it lacks the sheer wildness of Josh's much bonier machine and really the best bit of all with the horse's skull... :twisted:

I don't know why I have this downer on Paul's work because he really is an excellent portraitist, but his backgrounds (when he bothers with them) are sterile as hell, so I guess that's why I think Josh's bike's 'better' and more 'Art with Rocks In' and his cover art in general as well. I suppose it's because Josh's covers drew me in from the start back in 1983 so it's a nostalgia thing and so on a gut level his work's more 'Discworld' to me than Paul's - all a matter of taste anyway! :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
People were posting whilst I was writing :laugh:

Elvish - yesh! :laugh: Could see that one coming a mile or more off - gotta lurve Kirsty in those spray-on jeans though! A very dedicated rock chick! :eek:

I saw the cartoon Bike & Death whilst I was googling a decent sized pic of Paul's and I have to say it - it's absolutely pants! :laugh: but as it has songs then maybe it doesn't matter so much. 8)

I can deconstruct Bat out of Hell (anatomically for a start unless the biker's a broken backed zombie :p ) but that just proves what I'm saying - Paul's stuff's great on detail but it's too preppy - it needs to be way dirtier! :twisted:

Josh's has got the 'tone' off pat :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Tiffany, there's a joke in the cartoon that's not in the book, but which I thought hysterical. The band go to Quirm and someone says that Quirm is famous for cheeses. Buddy makes the comment "We're more popular than cheeses!".

This is a reference to John Lennon's comment in an interview that the Beatles were "more popular than Jesus" - a comment that was NOT well received in America. :laugh:

I wish that joke had made it into the book as I think it's great! :laugh:

Jun 22, 2010
I do love Soul Music, since I am very much into rock music. Plus Susan is a great character.
One thing though: I read somewhere that "Pathway to Paradise" was allegedly "Stairway to Heaven", but I have to admit that I though more of "Highway to Hell", because of the alliteration I guess... What do you think?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
solemn_eyed said:
I do love Soul Music, since I am very much into rock music. Plus Susan is a great character.
One thing though: I read somewhere that "Pathway to Paradise" was allegedly "Stairway to Heaven", but I have to admit that I though more of "Highway to Hell", because of the alliteration I guess... What do you think?
I've always thought it was a reference to Stairway to Heaven. I think the guitar solo in there has inspired a lot of people to take up the electric guitar - and end up playing the solo really, really badly. :laugh:

Jun 22, 2010
Tonyblack said:
I've always thought it was a reference to Stairway to Heaven. I think the guitar solo in there has inspired a lot of people to take up the electric guitar - and end up playing the solo really, really badly. :laugh:
The same can be said about Highway to Hell, though, which also has a very recognisable riff. Maybe I should try and butcher Stairway on my acoustic one day. So far I've been only guilty of playing Highway to Hell badly on drums :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
The Pathway to Paradise gag is Stairway I think - it was in Wayne's World 1 - the music shop where Wayne went to drool over his unattainable Stratocaster? Anyway - they had a sign in that shop saying Absolutely no Stairway to Heaven! Or words to that effect... :laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
< I suppose it's because Josh's covers drew me in from the start back in 1983 so it's a nostalgia thing and so on a gut level his work's more 'Discworld' to me than Paul's - all a matter of taste anyway! >
Josh did a lot more covers than discworld ones,He did some SF ones other fantasy ones, early Robert Rankin ones, and some for Tom Holt. :)

Jul 25, 2008
Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A.
I must admit that I liked this book more this time--and even more as I'm now on the 3rd reading. Terry really outdid himself (I suspect) in humorous & modified allusions to various rock music groups. Some I got, and since Tony and I do a quiz that has a day of "music" which tends to be heavy on Rock and Heavy Metal, I picked up more this time than before. Nonetheless, I think this is still one of Terry's weaker books in that he still gives in to "look how clever I am at making an allusion" even when it gets in the way of, or substitutes for, the real theme(s) & development of the novel. (Sorry Pooh! You and I have to agree to disagree on this point, as I know you love this type of humor. Even Tony likes that aspect.) So though I'll may join in with a few of these IDs, basically I find them tedious. The fact that (as Tony explained) there is a British singer called Cliff Richards, which makes the joke about Cliff taking a name that, as Glod comments, "Can[t see anyone lasting long in this business with a name like Cliff," doesn't add much, but it doesn't impede things either. Tony thinks the dog with the Canting Crew isn't Gaspode, but I rather think he is, even if he never speaks in this book. He can explain why he thinks the dog is there.

But what I find interesting in this book is that Terry is beginning at this time to write the more serious novels which characterize his later work. I think that the DEATH figure has more complexity than I realized at first, though I still find his sudden abandonment of his responsibilities a bit puzzling, and the whole Klatchian Foreign Legion section gets very old very fast. But one of the very significant allusive strands in Soul Music is a continuation of the learning experiences of Reaper Man. It is, I am sure, Azrael - god of all deaths--who asks "So you're a rebel , little Death? Against what?" DEATH ignores the question since he can't think of a "snappy answer," but instead goes out to do the job before him, taking care of humanity. And incidentally--he has saved MUSIC, I think. That particular kind of music will never again be in a disc world novel, but MUSIC itself will make itself felt in other worlds because, unlike humans, it never dies.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter