Star Wars

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
It's an impressive trailer. But I'm still not quite convinced I want to see it. I'm surprised they got the old cast out to do it...

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Hear, hear!

And apparently Harrison Ford should look younger than the first movie… :character-oldtimer: :doh:

Why is it Hollywood script-writers’ brains are completely dried? I mean… Mad Max? Jurassic Park?? Terminator???? Cinderella?????? :angry-banghead:

I think they should learn to leave old glories alone. What about originality?

Well, I understand why they do it (money,money,money) and I’m sure the movies will be impressive… But it’s still irritating!

Mx

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Mixa said:
Hear, hear!

And apparently Harrison Ford should look younger than the first movie… :character-oldtimer: :doh:

Mx
This new star wars film is set some 30-odd years after return of the jedi and the "original" trilogy Mixa, so Harrison ford and everyone else is 30 yrs older :)

My guess is that the figure with the robotic hand, by the fire with R2 is Luke. Nice to see they've kept friends all this time! ;)

Jan 23, 2014
Mixa said:
Hear, hear!

Why is it Hollywood script-writers’ brains are completely dried? I mean… Mad Max? Jurassic Park?? Terminator???? Cinderella?????? :angry-banghead:

Mx
I can't actually remember the last time Hollywood had an original idea.......

Nov 15, 2011
Aust.
Mixa said:
Hear, hear!I think they should learn to leave old glories alone. What about originality?
A fair and accurate point which I would normally concede but it's Star Wars innit.

With regards to Ep 1-3, I'm prepared to forgive and forget, bury the hatchet, let bygones be bygones, it's all water under the bridge etc, etc, etc.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
mirandashell said:
Mixa said:
Hear, hear!

Mx
Good point. Hollywood's biggest hits have always been stories that have already been told and re-told again and again. Just think of the biggest Hollywood hits of the 50s: Spartacus. Cleopatra. The Ten Commandments. Originality? ;)

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Discworldpadawan said:
Mixa said:
Hear, hear!

Mx
This new star wars film is set some 30-odd years after return of the jedi and the "original" trilogy Mixa, so Harrison ford and everyone else is 30 yrs older :)
Oops! I heard it wrong, then… :doh: Anyway, my point is old glories should make for new talents, don’t you think?

Mx

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
RathDarkblade said:
mirandashell said:
Mixa said:
Hear, hear!

Mx
Good point. Hollywood's biggest hits have always been stories that have already been told and re-told again and again. Just think of the biggest Hollywood hits of the 50s: Spartacus. Cleopatra. The Ten Commandments. Originality? ;)
Actually, not quite true. The highest-grossing Hollywood movies, adjusted for inflation, are:

1. Gone with the WInd (based on an original lousy novel)
2. Avatar (based on an original, if not particularly groundreaking concept)
3. Star Wars (borrowing heavily from 30s space serials, but still an original story)
4. Titanic (yes, there were several Titanic-based films before it, but it isn't a remake of any of them)
5. The Sound of Music (treacly goo, but still based an original musical)
6. E.T. (a truly original treatment of the aliens coming to Earth story)
7. The Ten Commandments (yeah, a remake)
8. Doctor Zhivago (original movie based on a book)
9. Jaws (a truly original concept)
10. Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (based on fairy tales, but with an original spin)

User Menu

Newsletter