The BBC Watch really belongs here

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Apparently the latest released photo of the BBC show indicates that Vimes plays electric guitar. I must admit, that's a pun that Sir Terry didn't use: the Watch Band.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
I did get a bit annoyed when I got an email for the illustrated Guards Guards which started the book description with now adapted for TV by BBC America.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Other fantasy series? Well, it isn't perfect, but it is still on youtube, so it's at least available: six roughly half-hour episodes.
"Archer's Goon". The actor who plays the goon tries hard, as do the child actors, but they didn't have the budget for the special effects. At least the story is good. It's based on the YA novel by Diana Wynne Jones.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I have a lot, but most of them are anime, and that's not everyone's cuppa. I did buy the first series of His Dark Materials, though, and I intend to watch that some time in the near future.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Pip, I tried playing the second "Witcher" game, but wasn't a fan. :confused: I understand they were recreating the "feel" of a medieval world (e.g. muddy villages, muddy army camps etc.), and I appreciate that. But the entire game passed by without a trace of humour, so ... meh.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
You probably wouldn't like Berserk, then. If Game of Thrones is at 10 of the dark fantasy dial, Berserk turns it up to 11. It says a lot about the series when an undead knight in skeletal armour is actually one of the good guys. That being said, for all the fact that it is VERY horrifically violent, with horrific dismemberments and deaths and even rapes happening within the series on a disturbingly regular basis, there is still an excellent story beneath it.

Hell, the main character Guts is basically a much darker and more brutally pragmatic Vimes as a mercenary, when I think about it. You know at the end of Thud! how Vimes goes berserk, attacking dwarves while reading out segments of Where's My Cow? I used to think the most suitable piece of music for that was Betrayal from Silent Hill 2, which is still an excellent piece of music. But...well, watch this scene from the most recent adaptation of Berserk, listen to the music, and tell me if Ash Crow doesn't suit Vimes going berserk just as much as it suits Guts...

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Pip, I tried playing the second "Witcher" game, but wasn't a fan. :confused: I understand they were recreating the "feel" of a medieval world (e.g. muddy villages, muddy army camps etc.), and I appreciate that. But the entire game passed by without a trace of humour, so ... meh.
Didnt like the game either to be honest but the TV series was very good, and had decent humour

I gather that the Witcher game was first, and the people making the TV series put the humor in.
The books were first (originally in Polish, but they have been translated to English), and the video games were based on the books - although set in the same world after the events of the books (I think). The games were popular enough that a TV show was developed, but Season 1 is based on the contents of the first book (which is a set of vaguely connected short stories - which does seem to be like the TV show).
Note that my knowledge of this is simply by reading articles. I've not read the books nor played the games, just seen the Netflix TV show.

User Menu

Newsletter