The Bromeliad Trilogy

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
I’ve been looking through the forum and I have found almost nothing referring to it so I decided to open a new topic to talk about the great…

Bromeliad Trilogy

This story happens in our world but the protagonists are a small species through which Pratchett reflects our society, our beliefs, our fears… And it’s incredibly fun! :mrgreen:

My favourite part is Truckers, but the idea of the three is fantastic! Every time I think of these books I start laughing to myself, especially when I remember the scene where…

…the nomes break out of the Store driving the truck and everything blows up behind them… You can imagine it perfectly: their faces, the face of the security guard LOL! XD

But overall the reflexion and the criticism are up there. Highly recommendable! :clap:

Oh! By the way! I found a clip in Youtube about an animated series of Truckers from the 1990… Enjoy this piece of television history! ;)

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
They've just released the 90s series on DVD. Worth grabbing. Loved the books as well . such an enjoyable read :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Such a shame they didn't make the other books into a film. It would be nice to think that the TV series got lots of kiddies (and adults) checking out the books. I loved the books. :laugh:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
I think the books are brilliant, the DVD less so as the episodes are really short so about a quarter of the time is taken up with titles and recapping the previous episode. Even skipping through these it can be quite frustrating to watch the whole thing in one go. I believe a version was made (or at least was going to be made) which was stitched together to make is a continuous story but this isn't available anywhere.

The Ladybird book of the animation is very good as well

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Thank you for answering, pip, Tonyblack and The Mad Collector! ;)

Maybe you won’t remember a lot about the books, but what is your favourite part of the trilogy? Which one surprised you the most?

For people who haven’t read the books, don’t be surprised about the frog on a leaf I put at the end of the post. It has a related meaning with the novels:

Along the story, Pratchett talks about the Bromeliad flower and its inhabitants, small frogs that spend their whole lives inside of it without even asking themselves what lies beyond. What a fine criticism to our own lives, isn’t it?
:handgestures-thumbupright:

Mx

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
My favourite bit is the description of the Bromeliad. It was quite a beautifully written concept. :laugh:
Also loved them figuring out the Truck controls. Classic

simmonds91

Lance-Corporal
Oct 29, 2012
Im currently reading the bromeliad trilogy. I love the books but I haven't ever watched the tv series, I doubt I ever will either, the nomes on that dvd cover scare the hell out of me. (so does your avatar mixa...)
I don't really have a favourite part of the books to be honest, it's all good.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Mixa said:
What??[/b][/size] Why oh why does my avatar scares you?

I think it may be the "uncanny valley" effect. Something that is almost perfectly human-looking, yet still just barely not human, is frightening, compared to something that is clearly non-human.

A similar effect is that a mechanical "animal", such as a dinosaur, that moves in big, repetitive movements is less frightening than one that is almost still but moves very slightly every so often.

We evolved to be alert to things that aren't quite right.

=Tamar

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
=Tamar said:
I think it may be the "uncanny valley" effect. Something that is almost perfectly human-looking, yet still just barely not human, is frightening, compared to something that is clearly non-human.
=Tamar
Hahaha! :laugh: This is unbelievable! I've been more than six years with this elf-avatar in a Catalan literary forum for all ages with 15.837 members and no-one has ever been scared to death. Well, I suppose there's always a first time for everything. Anyway the result is 3 thumbs up (Mad, Who's Wee Dug, Tony) against 2 thumbs down (simmonds91, =Tamar). :teasing-neener: ;)

simmonds91 said:
my favourite character is the "thing".
Yeah, the Thing is great! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Sister Jennifer said:
I absolutely love The Bromeliad trilogy. Maybe my favourite of all TP's books. They're beautifully written.
Perhaps they are not my favourite ones, but I agree. They are marvellous!

Would you recommend them to start reading Terry Pratchett?

Mx

P.S. Hey Tony! I've had to look up that expresion on Wikipedia. It is really interesting! :mrgreen:

Tonyblack said:
Hear Hear!

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Mixa said:
=Tamar said:
=Tamar
Hahaha! :laugh: This is unbelievable! I've been more than six years with this elf-avatar in a Catalan literary forum for all ages with 15.837 members and no-one has ever been scared to death. Well, I suppose there's always a first time for everything. Anyway the result is 3 thumbs up (Mad, Who's Wee Dug, Tony) against 2 thumbs down (simmonds91, =Tamar). :teasing-neener: ;)

P.S. Hey Tony! I've had to look up that expresion on Wikipedia. It is really interesting! :mrgreen:

Tonyblack said:
Hear Hear!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
The Thing is a really interesting and useful literary device. It allows the Nomes to learn about themselves and to explain the world around them. But it doesn't give the whole thing away straight off - because it is "thinking". So while that is going on, the Nomes try to do things for themselves, with hilarious results.

In many ways I think the Toad in the Tiffany books serves a similar purpose and a literary device.

Slantaholic

Lance-Corporal
Jun 1, 2013
UK
www.fanfiction.net
Mixa wrote:
Hahaha! :laugh: This is unbelievable! I've been more than six years with this elf-avatar in a Catalan literary forum for all ages with 15.837 members and no-one has ever been scared to death. Well, I suppose there's always a first time for everything. Anyway the result is 3 thumbs up (Mad, Who's Wee Dug, Tony) against 2 thumbs down (simmonds91, =Tamar).

I think your avatar Mixa is a little uneven - she looks like she's glancing down at something with the right eye a little cross-eyed - is this why people find her freaky?

User Menu

Newsletter