The Compleat Discworld Atlas (no spoilers, please)...

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
...or please use the spoiler tag, if you wish to post them. Thank you. :)

At any rate, has anyone read this? I'm currently reading it, and I'm finding it quite good and very funny. It's obviously much more expanded than The Discworld Mapp. (But then, I like history and maps etc.) ;)

What's your take?

I have it but haven't started reading it yet.

I suspect the answer to Tamar's question is "not much". Probably the same amount as, say, the Compleat Ankh-Morpork or Mrs Bradshaw's Handbook. Most of the work is done by the folks at the Discworld Emporium (Isobel, Bernard, Ian and Reb, plus extra artists they hire), and the content may have been discussed with Terry so he possibly contributed some ideas, but probably not very much writing. The Emporium folks have been working on the Atlas for at least 2 years (they started just after the Compleat Ankh-Morpork was done, but before it was released), so its contents were more than likely discussed with Terry.

I know they've decided to cancel the Discworld Bestiary (which was to be the next project after the Atlas) due to Terry's passing, so some of the artwork already done for the bestiary has made it onto Teatowels...

nutthatch

Jan 31, 2016
Flat Map

Does anybody know if it is possible to get a flat version of the folded map that is included with this book.

I want to put it up on my wall but I don't think the folded version will iron out well

From what I recall, the Emporium looked into getting the map produced separately as a poster (at least for Compleat Ankh-Morpork, possibly also the Atlas) as well as the folded version tucked into the back of the book, but the publishers weren't interested or couldn't make it financially viable.

Your best bet is to buy the Atlas, flatten the folded map as carefully as you can, and then get it laminated/framed. It's quite big, so it probably won't be cheap to do either.

nutthatch

Jan 31, 2016
It must start out flat; and then be folded to go in the back of the atlas, so surely its just a case of getting one before its folded and then get them to roll it and stick it in a tube? Presumably its printed in China though like the Atlas itself.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
I’m currently reading the Atlas and is pretty interesting… The map is astonishing! I don’t think I have enough space to put in on the wall, either. XP Despite the fact that I always agreed with Sir Terry about that “You can’t map a sense of humour”, I’m having a great time looking through the Index and finding all the ever mentioned places in Discworld. :mrgreen:

Mx

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yup! 'Nottanife", 'Cangoolie', and my favourite XXXX place, 'Woeealorrasurfa'. :laugh:

Strangely, you could walk from the Ramtops to the Agatean Empire - but it is very, very dangerous. :laugh: Not to mention that
the Dire Straits
are in the way...

I really like the place names in Uberwald, too -
'Porkscratchenz', 'Duschen-Duschen', 'Schnappe'.
Strange that there are only two marked locations in the Tzuman Empire - 'Poxalotl' and the river 'Toxalotl'. Oh! And just southeast of Psuedopolis is a town called
'Baker's Knob'!
:twisted:

(Yes, I know it's juvenile, but...) :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter