The Lady and the Reaper

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Well - having watched it for about 3 times as long as its supposed to last (my 'hi-speed' broadband is pathetic :devil: ) with a roughly 5 second break every - 5 seconds :eek: I can say that's chock full of heavy-handed parables that would have convinced me Terry's absolutely right and medical 'advances' have gone too far down the Frankenstein path if I hadn't already signed up to it :laugh:

Nice poodle, great doctor (was so glad the Lady socked him one) but several points off for doing a too long 'look how clever we are at this animation thingie' effect with the reflections. A little pussy-cat with big slitty eyes voiced by Antonio Banderas can get away with that. Little old Ladies looking at old man romantic photos can't. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
That was a very interesting short. Whether you agree with the politics or not, it will stir up some discussion.

Having kept up with Pratchett's own health issues the past few years, I am well aware of where he sides on this issue.

Cheers.

Fizz

Lance-Corporal
Mar 16, 2010
Ontario, Canada
www.whitesnails.com
I think the humour was necessary. It is a fairly heavy political message and one that is controversial to say the least.

So to help balance out that suicide/euthanasia it adds some levity, makes the ending bearable for some who might otherwise disagree with the message.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Doughnut Jimmy said:
Fizz said:
suicide/euthanasia
Isn't she already dead though so it's neither of those just interfering doctors dragging her back to life?
Disclaimer - I haven't rewatched it so may well be wrong
Yes, she'd made her peace with the world and was quite ready to move on. I think the message in there is more about people not being given the choice - that just because medicine can keep someone alive, it should. :)

Jan 1, 2010
I just see it as common sense - someone has come to the end of their life and should be allowed to die in their own time not be dragged back just because we can

btw I like the signature Tony

Jun 17, 2010
In just a space of 7 minutes of actual story, it manages to pack a touching scene and numerous totally hilarious chases. The plot is effectively presented without the use of any dialogs. The initial scene is powerful, and I feel sorry for the old lady at once even it is just a minute into the short. The rest of the animation is so imaginative, every second of it is so much fun.

User Menu

Newsletter