The Octavo (Roundworld Edition)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
May 13, 2010
Bristol
www.specularium.org
Both I and many of the people who I have worked with in magical groups over the last 25 years have derived great joy and inspiration from Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels.

Terry has obviously researched magical traditions rather thoroughly for many of his magical themes, and we have actually borrowed back some of what he has created. For example the idea of 'Octarine' has become important in Chaos magic, to describe the colour in which you naturally tend to visualise spells and sigils with your eyes shut.

I have almost finished writing a Roundworld Octavo, it just awaits a bit of editorial input and some illustrations from my friends in Arcanorium College (an online invisible college). Its basically a book of alternative cosmology, quantum physics and practical magic (which doesn't work half as well here as it does on Discworld, in fact it only works one forty-eighth as well here according to my exceptionally precise calculations) ;)

I have used quite a number of Discworld ideas about magic to illustrate how contemporary Roundworld magicians try to think about their subject.

The book should come out in the Autumn of 2010 from my publishers Mandrake of Oxford.

Anyway, The reason that I'm writing is that I'd really like Terry Pratchett to have a look at the Roundworld Octavo, and maybe, just maybe, pass a comment on it before publication.

He's a real literary hero to me and I'd be thrilled if he agreed to take a look at it.

However I have little idea of how to contact him, I imagine that he has a very full mailbox.

Regards, Peter J Carroll.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter