The Quatermass Book-Reading Blog TP2: The New Number Two

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 19

Fullmetal Alchemist, volume 27 by Hiromu Arakawa

Finally, I have come to the finale of Fullmetal Alchemist. Would it prove a satisfying cap to this series? Without any further ado, let’s read on…

In the wake of Father’s devastating energy wave, few of his opponents remain standing. And even with reinforcements, the Elric brothers and their allies are soon in a bad position. With Ed’s automail disintegrated, Alphonse may have to make the ultimate sacrifice. But will it be enough? Or will Father prevail after all?

Whoa. What a finale. Okay, there’s only one and a bit chapters of the final battle proper out of the three chapters in this volume, but what a finale! It’s a brilliant and satisfying conclusion, with one of Greed’s abilities being used in an unusual way, along with Alphonse making a tear-jerking sacrifice, and Ed making his own surprising sacrifice in return.

Everything is sewn up and tidied up. My only complaint is that this volume is more about tying up the loose ends than the resolution of the battle against Father. But that’s what happens when you get to a finale of such an epic series.

Fullmetal Alchemist’s final volume was an excellent end to an excellent saga. I’m a bit melancholy now it’s over…

****½

FIRST WORDS:

LAST WORDS: (Not recorded due to spoilers)

User Menu

Newsletter