The Quatermass Book-Reading Blog TP3: Trilogy of Error

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
*DISCLAIMER*

CLAPTRAP: Greetings, meatbags, from Pandora! My minion Quatermass asked me to say a few words. And here they are: Untz! Untz! Untz!

QUATERMASS: Claptrap, they're here for book reviews, not for your dubstep remix.

CLAPTRAP: WHAAAAT?! But my dubstep mix is AWESOME! And why are these spam wads caring about books, when you can be shooting guns on Pandora?

QUATERMASS: There's more to life than Borderlands, Claptrap, and...

CLAPTRAP: More to life than Borderlands? 0_0 HERESY! KILL THE MEATBAG!

QUATERMASS: Boot to the head. *thwack!*

CLAPTRAP: (stutters)

QUATERMASS: He's got stuck. Again.

CLAPTRAP: W-W-W-W-W-What the hell happened?

QUATERMASS: A glitch. Read the disclaimer, and I'll give you a purple thing.

CLAPTRAP: There was no part of that sentence I didn't like! Ahem! The opinionated opinions expressed in this thread are either solely those of Quatermass, or else based on crap he's found on the internet. They are not the opinions of the Terry Pratchett Forum, its members, the late Terry Pratchett, Transworld Publishers, God (who got shot on Pandora some time ago), and thus are only true, for a given value of true as coloured by a warped and twisted mind. If you don't like it, then there's a nest of skags you can go visit. Thank you. Now, where's my purple?

QUATERMASS: Here.

CLAPTRAP: WTF, dude? This is just a stuffed toy of a purple dinosaur.

QUATERMASS: It's a relic. It enhances your literacy and numeracy significantly. Gearbox had to nerf it. Equip it, Claptrap, and you'll go from a genius to a mega-genius.

CLAPTRAP: I LIKE IT! *speeds away*

QUATERMASS: Heh heh heh...sucker.

So, with all that out of the way, let's get the ball rolling.

It's that time again, for me to start a new book-review blog.

The rules, as mentioned before, are simple:

*I must read, and/or finish, at least one new book that I haven't read each week. A week is defined as being the same named day after the last day I read and reviewed a book, regardless of the time (as long as it is the same day at my time, AEST). That is, if my last book reviewed and read was on a Saturday, my next book must be finished and reviewed by the end of the next Saturday.

*If I have started, but not finished, a book prior to starting this thread, then I may include it, as long as I have not read it all the way through at any stage.

*I must write a review.

*The book has to be relatively substantial. That is, I will not read an individual issue of a comic or manga (though an individual collected volume is fine), or a screenplay, unless said screenplay is accompanied by a making-of book, or a children's picture book. In addition, I will not be reviewing webcomics (unless available in printed form) or fanfiction.

Now, some caveats...

*I will NOT take reading suggestions. Anyone who does so will find themselves being given a very rude answer. However, comments and dissenting opinions (NOT reviews: this is MY review thread) are welcome, as long as they are decent and well-thought out.

*One of the unofficial rules, albeit one I might break (as it is an unofficial rule) is that I don't review two things of the same sort back to back. That is, I don't read two graphic novels back to back, two Doctor Who books back to back...you get the idea. I may break it on rare occasion, depending on circumstances...

*I used to have a very skewed scoring system. A few of you may remember said system when I started a similar thread going back over the Discworld novels, as well as the dispute that followed. After some consideration, I have adopted a new, still skewed but far less so, scoring system based on five stars. The scores are still my business. Dispute with the scoring system at your peril. In this thread, I am Stephen Fry on QI, and you really don't want to be klaxoned. :p

The first book will probably be the first volume of Rat Queens.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 1

Rat Queens volume 1: Sass and Sorcery, by Kurtis J Wiebe and Roc Upchurch

Most of the time, when I look at comics from the library, it’s because I’ve heard of them for some time prior. But occasionally, just occasionally, I find something that intrigues me just from a look at the blurb, the cover, and a quick flick through it. Rat Queens was one of these few. But would this darkly comic fantasy story make good on that first impression?

The town of Palisade is in trouble, its businesses under threat. Not from invaders or monsters, but from mercenary adventurers. And one of the most troublesome is the Rat Queens, an all-female fighting group. There’s Hannah, an elven mage with attitude, Violet, a rebellious dwarven warrior who shaved her beard before it was cool, Dee, a human cleric who refuses to worship her parent’s eldritch abomination of a god, and Betty, a Halfling thief who enjoys drinking, candy, and drugs. As punishment for the damage they have caused, the Rat Queens are sent to purge a goblin cave, only to find an assassin waiting for them. Between half the country wanting them dead, the Rat Queens have their work cut out not only finding out who hired assassins is, but surviving…

As far as story is concerned, Rat Queens’ first volume is more about establishing the world and its characters than any truly meaty story. The story is frankly rather weak and only mildly interesting, and it’s only saved by the fun and humour that this series takes. One can see not only Discworld in the melting pot that made this story, but also webcomics like Looking for Group, and 8-Bit Theater.

The characters are, frankly, more interesting than the story. In particular, Dee (an atheistic cleric who is an atheist because her parents worship a many-tentacled abomination) and Betty (a smidgen, or rather, hobbit or Halfling, thief who is the nicest member of the group, at least when she’s not fighting) are the most interesting, though each of the characters have a story to tell.

Overall, I did enjoy Rat Queens enough that I want to read more of the series. But I hope it does get a bit better…

***½

FIRST WORDS:
...And what we face now is, alarmingly, one of Palisade’s greatest threats!

LAST WORDS: (Not recorded due to spoilers)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 2

Buffy, The Making of a Slayer: The Official Guide
, by Nancy Holder

I have to confess, I’m no fan of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I dunno whether it’s because I’m more of an Anglophile when it comes to speculative fiction TV, or whether I’m just not into horror (even if the series is more of a mild horror comedy-drama). But it is impossible to ignore the impact that the series has had on popular culture, and I was at least interested enough to read a making-of book for the series. But would it get me at all interested in the series?

Buffy, The Making of a Slayer is a book that looks at the genesis and production of the seven television seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It discusses why the stories evolved as they did, choices of casting, and fan reaction. Glossy and informative, it’s meant to be something fans can treasure.

Now, I have to confess, if I was a fan of Buffy, I’d be somewhat disappointed in the book. Its presentation is top-notch, but the information is somewhat insubstantial, even for making-of books. That being said, as I am not a fan, it actually manages to be more enjoyable than that. I enjoyed getting some insight into the creative process, as the emphasis seemed to be more on the story and characters than the production proper.

It’s a somewhat brief book, and like many of its kind, is a triumph of style over substance. I was left hungry for more information. But it was enjoyable enough and informative to a reader who has only a casual interest in the series. And it doesn’t overstay its welcome, which is good.

Overall, Buffy, The Making of a Slayer was an ephemeral but enjoyable read. I have no real desire to watch the series proper, but this was a decent enough insight into it.

FIRST WORDS: ...Joseph Hill “Joss” Whedon was born on June 23, 1964, in New York City.

LAST WORDS: Buffy has become the popular cultural icon Joss had hoped for…and Buffy the Vampire Slayer is the show that legions of fans still need to watch.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 3

Neon Genesis Evangelion volume 14: Setting Off, by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto

After running for far longer than the TV anime series, the manga of Neon Genesis Evangelion has finally reached its long-awaited conclusion. But this also covers some of the more disturbing parts of the movie conclusion to the series, The End of Evangelion. So, how would the conclusion of the manga fare?

Despite the best efforts of NERV, Third Impact has begun. Rei has fused with Lilith, and become a deity. And deep within her is Shinji Ikari, to whom she gives the choice everything rests on. The fate of the world rests on Shinji Ikari’s shoulders, and he has had enough of the suffering that he and humanity have had to endure. Will his choice damn the world? Or will he choose for humanity to have a future? Either way, everything ends. Now.

This is one of the more disturbing volumes of the manga series in terms of imagery, though that’s not a surprise, given the source material, that of The End of Evangelion. However, unlike that work, the manga’s final volume, believe it or not, has a happy ending of sorts. True, it’s very bittersweet, and what happens next may not be clear, but it’s a damn sight better than Shinji, Asuka, a big rotting head, and “How disgusting.” And it’ll give the fans substantial fanfic fodder.

Everything is brought to a far more satisfying conclusion than any version of Evangelion so far, and while it’s not a very happy ending, it nonetheless ends on a hopeful note. Gendo’s death is somewhat happy, more than he deserves, but it’s a good rebuttal of his nihilistic attitude. There’s even a sad and poignant farewell between two of the main characters, before one of them is seemingly annihilated forever. But on the whole, Evangelion fans will love this volume. There’s even a cute little side-story chapter that seems to give a possible origin to a new character from the Rebuild films, as well as giving insight into Yui and Gendo when they were younger.

Overall, while not perfect, the final volume of the manga of Neon Genesis Evangelion is a fitting end to the best version of the series. And it’s about time that the characters got anything like a happy ending…

FIRST WORDS:
Someone…

LAST WORDS: (Not recorded due to spoilers)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I actually finished this book yesterday, but couldn't be arsed with doing a review at the time, so I finished the book on time, but didn't do the review today. Here it is.

BOOK 4

Weta Digital: 20 Years of Imagination On Screen, by Claire Burgess with Brian Sibley

If there is one special effects company that has risen to prominence over the past little while, it is Weta. The practical effects and prop arm, Weta Worskhop, was founded (under a different name) back in 1987, but you may be surprised to know that Weta Digital has been around since 1993. But it truly rose to prominence with Peter Jackson’s adaptation of The Lord of the Rings, and has since gone from strength to strength. So this book, understandably, is of considerable interest to anyone with more than a passing interest in special effects and how they are made…

Weta Digital: 20 Years of Imagination On Screen looks at the history of Weta Digital, and how it began with Peter Jackson and the already established RT Effects, later to become Weta Workshop. We see how it evolved from digital effects used on Heavenly Creatures, through to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, and beyond. We see how films like Avatar, King Kong, and The Adventures of Tintin benefitted from Weta Digital’s help, with the evolution of digital film-making and digital effects.

Now, most books of this kind are a triumph of style over substance. I have said this before, and probably will again. But while this book doesn’t quite go in-depth into every film mentioned, it nonetheless discusses the trials and tribulations of the digital effects in each one, with a particular emphasis on The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug. It also discusses the history of Weta Digital and its relationship with Peter Jackson, as he changed from a director known mainly for grotesque splatter films to a rather more prominent director.

The book itself is very enjoyable, even if some of the technical terms did go over my head. The presentation is top notch, and my only real complaint is a lack of detail here and there on some points that I thought deserved elaboration. But this is a minor complaint, as are my other quibbles with this book.

Overall, this book was a worthwhile read. One of these days, I will try to get a hold of it from my bookshop.

****½

FIRST WORDS: Weta Digital is one of the world’s premiere visual-effects companies.

LAST WORDS: ‘That means it’s a great time for the visual-effects industry- and an even greater time to be a fan.

Next will be the first volume of Fairy Tail...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 5

Fairy Tail volume 1, by Hiro Mashima

It’s perhaps ironic that, having started this particular book review blog with a comedy fantasy comic series about a rather destructive band of adventurers, I choose a different series that nonetheless explores the same themes. I heard quite a bit about Fairy Tail, a manga series and one of the many shounen or action-adventure types that pop up in Japan like rabbits. But would I like it, finally coming to it?

Lucy is a teenaged wizard with a dream: to join Fairy Tail, one of the most famous and powerful wizarding guilds. Her ambition leads her to meet the eccentric boy Natsu, whose social graces are non-existent, due to being raised by a dragon, but who has a heart of gold. But Lucy is tricked by a wizard claiming to be from Fairy Tail, only to turn out to be a slaver. Natsu helps her, revealing himself to be not only a Fairy Tail member, but a mage of extraordinary power. He brings her to Fairy Tail, and while the reality doesn’t quite meet Lucy’s fangirl expectations, she soon learns that it’s worth her while to stay with the boisterous and violent, but ultimately good-natured guild…

Shounen manga seem to be filled with comedy and over-the-top action, and Fairy Tail has this in spades. The story, as yet, is nothing to speak of, and filled with the usual clichés of shounen manga. There’s plenty of action, but not yet much substance.

And yet, there is an undeniable fun feeling to Fairy Tail. Like Rat Queens, it pokes fun at the destructive nature of many fantasy heroes (the titular guild being notorious in the wizard council for its destructive tendencies), and what it lacks of the latter’s more intelligent examination, it makes up for in sheer entertainment value. In fact, the story intrigues me enough that I intend to follow it.

Overall, Fairy Tail's first volume was an enjoyable enough romp. Not very substantial yet, but certainly entertaining.

***½

FIRST WORDS:
Ultear!

LAST WORDS: Shut up, cat!!!

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 6

Agatha H and the Voice of the Castle, by Phil and Kaja Foglio

I’ve enjoyed the Girl Genius series of webcomics (which ironically started as a series of print comics) for some time now. When the novelizations first started coming out, I thought this was gilding the lily somewhat, given how well the comics were done. But the novels also had details that the comics didn’t quite make clear at times, as well as elucidating the characters’ motives. Finally, the third novelisation in the series, Agatha H and the Voice of the Castle, has been released, and I have managed to get around to reading it…

Agatha Heterodyne has had a very trying time, recently. She only recently learned that she was the heir to the Heterodyne family, the most famous (and infamous) family of mad scientists in Europa, and worse, her mother was none other than the Other, a destroyer and enslaver of Sparks. Recent events have caused the Other to take residence in Agath’s mind, and she is now the mortal enemy of Baron Klaus Wulfenbach, the head of the Wulfenbach Empire and sworn enemy of the Other. Now, Agatha has come back to the seat of Heterodyne power: Mechanicsburg, and Castle Heterodyne, the living residence of the Heterodyne family. But the sentient Castle is badly damaged and almost completely insane. What’s worse, with Baron Wulfenbach badly injured, those who plot against him are making their move, and the most dangerous of these is an impostor claiming to be the Heterodyne girl. Agatha enters the Castle, but inside, between impostors, the vengeful, and an insane castle, she will be hard-pressed to stay alive, let alone claim her legacy…

The story is quite excellent, covering more than the three-volume standard that seemed to be the case with the previous two novels. That being said, it stops partway through one of the volumes, and on a major cliffhanger, which is annoying. Nonetheless, it helps clarify things that sometimes the comic series leaves unsaid or implied, and it’s an enjoyable and humorous story overall. There’s even some foreshadowing of events in the series that are very recent.

The characters are enjoyable, and one of the strengths of the series is the moral ambiguity prevalent. One of the main antagonists, Baron Klaus Wulfenbach, has decent intentions, but is overall opposed to Agatha (albeit for understandable, but misconceived, reasons), while Agatha has to struggle against her own mad scientist legacy. Everything works, if not perfectly, then pretty damn well.

Overall, while not perfect, Agatha H and the Voice of the Castle is a fine novelization of an enjoyable series, one that acts very much as a companion piece to the comic. Here’s to more of them…

****½

FIRST WORDS:
As we passed through the last of the great Iron Gates and approached Mechanicsburg for the first time, the Bishop was struck anew by the grandeur of the surrounding cliffs, the majesty of the encircling mountains, and the awe-inspiring fury of the River Dyne as it roared far beneath the Bridge of Thorns.

LAST WORDS: (Not recorded due to spoilers.)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Ugh, I've missed the deadline for the next review. Well, crap. I'm lacking the motivation to read at the moment, so you'll have to wait for another one of these threads for a while.

User Menu

Newsletter