The Science of Discworld and Narrativium

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Instead of a reread of the book I'm listening to the Audible recording of the book, 21years after it was published, on one of the science chapters which I find interesting is about elements and the periodic table of roundworld and discworld compared. I just found why I think the company was named Narrativa, named after or taken from the Discworld's Narrativium element who's properties are: The characteristic feature of Narrativium is that it makes stories hang together. The human mind loves a good dose of narrativium. :mrgreen::mrgreen:

The other point, is of course, is that Terry (perhaps along with Ian and Jack, and probably Rob) also invented the Goddess Narrativia, the goddess of stories - and she became Terry's own personal goddess so that's what they named their company after. There were even some statues of Narrativia made (which a few lucky fans have). It's likely that the element 'narrativium' was invented by them first, but the Goddess soon followed (as is evidenced by how belief works on the Discworld)

User Menu

Newsletter