The Seventh Doctor

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
Okay, so I just say Remembrance of the Daleks and I think I have a new favorite Doctor. I thought I'd list why.

1.) His clothes. Okay, yeah, mayb question marks aren't that subtle but hey, after 900 years who wants to be subtle? I like his little umbrella and...okay, dumb reason to like a Doctor and I get that they may have been trying too hard but, hey, it works.

2.) The umbrella. Seriously, I like how he fiddles with it!

3.) After seeing the tenth and eleventh Doctor it's refreshing to see a Doctor who doesn't constantly expound on how fabulous humanity is. Show don't tell works wonders for this Doctor and it's nice to see someone take a few light-hearted pokes at humanity.

4.) His companion uses an metal Baseball bat. WIN.

5.) He's kind of a prick and acts a little like an upset old man. Believe it or not the actor (Sylvester McCoy) pulls this off well.

I don't know, I just think it's a little sad that the last three Doctors seem so similar to one another (the Tenth and Eleventh act like the Ninth at times). Though, to be fair, I have yet to see the other Doctors and I still need to see more than one Sylvester McCoy story.

Also, I realize how weird it is that I don't automatically gravitate to the first Doctor I see (The Ninth).

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Good someone else who likes Sylvester McCoy. His first 2 series are pretty awful but ironically the last series before Doctor Who was killed off, presumably forever at the time, was brilliant. I never saw McCoy as the Doctor when it was originally broadcast as I wasn't living in the UK at the time so have enjoyed finding just how good the man most people regard as the worst Doctor of all time really was when he was allowed to play it as he wanted.

If you like McCoy you will probably like Doctor number 2, Patrick Troughton. Very little is left and what there is only exists in black and white which I know a lot of people born after 1970 have a problem with :rolleyes: but give it a go you may well have a new favourite Doctor afterwards :)

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
Well I've heard that the Seventh Doctor is the darkest and, in a way, he is. Keep in mind, though, that is Remembrance of the Daleks The Doctor had few choices.

1.) Take the planet-destroying device with him in the TARDIS and risk the Daleks getting it someday.

2.) Try and destroy it or make it useless, risking the Daleks fixing it someday.

3.) Turn the device into what basically amounts to a bomb that will explode as soon as the Daleks try to use it.

Also keep in mind that, while the Doctor may be against killing an entire species, when it comes to the Daleks and when it comes to the Daleks getting a device that they WILL DEFINITELY USE to try and destroy all other life, he makes an exception (like he did during the Time War). Hell, he even WARNS the Daleks, one last time, that they should not use the device (albeit in the angriest way possible).

Now, keep in mind, though, that I've only seen Remembrance of the Daleks and if the Seventh Doctor does this with every alien species (when he has another alternative) then I can see why people wouldn't like him.

But, hey, why can't one version of the Doctor be more serious?

Beyond Birthday

Lance-Corporal
Nov 11, 2010
He kind of comes off as a scolding parent, doesn't he? With Ace, at least. I guess the reason why people don't like him as much is because he is more of a Jerk with a Heart of Gold than the Douglas Adams-esque weird, intelligent guy that says whimsical things.

But, you know, The Doctor can be a serious character as long as he still retains a bit of whimsy. It's not like the Seventh Doctor acts like The Punisher or anything.

My only real problem with the Seventh so far is that he doesn't act nice enough. It makes it harder to believe anyone would travel with him when he complains and criticizes so much (again, keep in mind that I've only seen one story with him).

Does he show some, I don't know, kindness after Remembrance or does he always criticize people all the time? I would be fine with that if he didn't with his companion.

EDIT: watching The Happiness Patrol. He doesn't criticize people all the time like in Remembrance so, yes, he is a fantastic all-around Doctor. No complaints, he does act nice enough XP So, wait, why exactly don't people like him? I thought Who fans hated the Sixth Doctor.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
He's my favourite Doctor, with David Tennant and Tom Baker close behind. Keep in mind that he's my favourite when he becomes a devious little sod. The Curse of Fenric was surely his best story...

User Menu

Newsletter