The Unadulterated Cat.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
At the same time I bought Going Postal DVD's I also bought this...

A must for cat lovers, I am more of a dog person myself, but I found it very amusing.. :laugh:

And I got a Discworld calendar also. :laugh: :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm pretty sure I mentioned this elsewhere on the board. I got a copy for Sharlene, who loved it. It's not available in the US and Sharlene was trying to get her friend at Harper Collins to get them to publish it there. :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes, you can get it from Amazon in the USA, but it's imported. They don't do an American version like the do the other books. :)

I must say that I love this Russian version.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Actually, it's neither. It's a collection of anecdotes about what Terry calls 'Real Cats'. Anyone who has ever been owned by a cat will recognise what he's saying.

Here's a description from Wikipedia:

The Unadulterated Cat by Terry Pratchett, illustrated by Gray Jolliffe, is a book written to promote what Pratchett terms the 'Real Cat', a cat who urinates in the flowerbeds, rips up the furniture, and eats frogs, mice and sundry other small animals. The opposite of the Real Cat is the 'Fizzy Keg Cat', a well-behaved and bland kind, as seen on cat food advertisements. It was first published 1989 by Gollancz.
There are sections in there such as Cat Games. His description of Cat Chess is hysterical. :laugh:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
:laugh: My favourite is the 'getting your cat to take a tablet' bit - you've probably already read that as it's one of those memo style things that goes around on office email - the one where you get progressively more mauled and the cat keeps spitting it out gags. Lesser versions of Terry's original - I nearly suffocated when I 1st read it :laugh:

chris.ph

Sergeant-at-Arms
Aug 12, 2008
swansea south wales
i first saw that on a great dane forum im a member of, as an afterword it says how to give a tablet to a dane(or any dog basically) it said " wrap tablet in a sausage and throw in the general direction of the dog" :laugh:

Temple_maiden

Lance-Corporal
Dec 31, 2010
Aha - I have this book. Must re-read it sometime.

I have a laudable collection of Cat Haiku though - maybe a poetry thread is in order . . .

*wanders off vaguely in search of a Creative Writing section*

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I see now it was Tony who found the poetry thread, many thanks, Tony.
Love the cover on the Russian version of UC.

Cat's are dreadful to give tablets to, you can't fool them at all, but our dog was a sucker, throw it to her & say sweetie & she had caught & swallowed it before she realised what it really was, worked every time. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter