The Witches of Oz

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

polythenegirl

Lance-Corporal
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Did anyone watch this? We recorded it from SyFy and finally got round to watching it this weekend.

I was really aprehensive about it as Wizard of Oz and Return to Oz are childhood favourites of mine, but I was actually really impressed by it!

Anyone else watch it? What did you think?

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BatrickPatrick said:
chris.ph said:
i watched it and enjoyed it+ i enjoyed the looking glass wars as well batrick :laugh:
I enjoyed it, just not as much as I thought I would. :p
I enjoyed The Looking-Glass Wars. Not excellent, but entertaining to have a different version of Wonderland.

But didn't they pretty much do a sequel/revisioning of The Wizard of Oz called Tin Man? (EDIT: Ugh, I hate trying to put a Wiki URL link into this BBS! I had to remove it, as it didn't work!)

And that's leaving out Gregory Maguire's Wicked trilogy.

Quatermass said:
BatrickPatrick said:
chris.ph said:
i watched it and enjoyed it+ i enjoyed the looking glass wars as well batrick :laugh:
I enjoyed it, just not as much as I thought I would. :p
I enjoyed The Looking-Glass Wars. Not excellent, but entertaining to have a different version of Wonderland.

But didn't they pretty much do a sequel/revisioning of The Wizard of Oz called Tin Man? (EDIT: Ugh, I hate trying to put a Wiki URL link into this BBS! I had to remove it, as it didn't work!)

I love the Wicked books, can't wait for the next one.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BatrickPatrick said:
Quatermass said:
Is there a fourth one on the way? o_O

Oh, there is. Hmm. I just wasn't sure where the Wicked series could go after A Lion Among Men.

Quatermass said:
BatrickPatrick said:
Quatermass said:

Oh, there is. Hmm. I just wasn't sure where the Wicked series could go after A Lion Among Men.
I dunno, the fourth one's based around Glinda, and I thought the problem with A Lion Among Men was mostly the Lion's character, so maybe it'll be better?

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BatrickPatrick said:
Quatermass said:
BatrickPatrick said:
Quatermass said:

I dunno, the fourth one's based around Glinda, and I thought the problem with A Lion Among Men was mostly the Lion's character, so maybe it'll be better?
I didn't say anything about its quality. In fact, I thought it an improvement over Son of a Witch (the storyline of Son of a Witch seemed less interesting than Wicked's). But it seemed to resolve quite a bit of the storyline.

Quatermass said:
BatrickPatrick said:
Quatermass said:
BatrickPatrick said:
Quatermass said:

I didn't say anything about its quality. In fact, I thought it an improvement over Son of a Witch (the storyline of Son of a Witch seemed less interesting than Wicked's). But it seemed to resolve quite a bit of the storyline.
Yeah, but that doesn't mean I can't say anything about it's quality. ;)

I preferred Son of a Witch, though it was hella depressing. I found Liir more interesting that Brrr(r? :laugh: ) and given the ending of Son of a Witch I was hoping for more info on Elphaba's progeny, rather than starting on a new character.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BatrickPatrick said:
Yeah, but that doesn't mean I can't say anything about it's quality. ;)

I preferred Son of a Witch, though it was hella depressing. I found Liir more interesting that Brrr(r? :laugh: ) and given the ending of Son of a Witch I was hoping for more info on Elphaba's progeny, rather than starting on a new character.
A fair point. But I found those characters equally interesting (not as interesting as Elphaba herself, though). It was the plotlines that felt different to me, and I found Brrr's misadventures surprisingly more intriguing and entertaining than Liir's adventures. And maybe it was because Son of a Witch was so depressing that I revolted against it a little, though that isn't always the case for me. A Lion Among Men at least reveals something interesting about Yackle.

But I thought you had misconstrued my own post as a comment on the quality rather than the fact that I felt there was nowhere else the story could go. That's all. :)

User Menu

Newsletter