The Wonderful Wizard Of OZ

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

shelke

Lance-Constable
Jul 8, 2010
Folklore, legends, myths and fairy tales have followed childhood through the ages, for every healthy youngster has a wholesome and instinctive love for stories fantastic, marvelous and manifestly unreal. The winged fairies of Grimm and Andersen have brought more happiness to childish hearts than all other human creations.

Yet the old time fairy tale, having served for generations, may now be classed as "historical" in the children's library; for the time has come for a series of newer "wonder tales" in which the stereotyped genie, dwarf and fairy are eliminated, together with all the horrible and blood-curdling incidents devised by their authors to point a fearsome moral to each tale. Modern education includes morality; therefore the modern child seeks only entertainment in its wonder tales and gladly dispenses with all disagreeable incident.

Having this thought in mind, the story of "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" was written solely to please children of today. It aspires to being a modernized fairy tale, in which the wonderment and joy are retained and the heartaches and nightmares are left out.

L. Frank Baum

Chicago, April, 1900.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Jan Van Quirm said:
I've read the sequel (Return to Oz? I was about 9 I think o_O ) and that was wonderful :laugh:
There was a movie by that name, but it was actually a combination of a couple of the Oz books. There isn't actually a book in the series called 'Return To Oz'. :)

Oz works
Main: List of Oz books

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (1900)
The Marvelous Land of Oz (1904)
Queer Visitors from the Marvelous Land of Oz (1905, comic strip depicting 27 stories)
Ozma of Oz (1907)
Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (1908)
The Road to Oz (1909)
The Emerald City of Oz (1910)
The Patchwork Girl of Oz (1913)
Little Wizard Stories of Oz (1913, collection of 6 short stories)
Tik-Tok of Oz (1914)
The Scarecrow of Oz (1915)
Rinkitink in Oz (1916)
The Lost Princess of Oz (1917)
The Tin Woodman of Oz (1918)
The Magic of Oz (1919, posthumously published)
Glinda of Oz (1920, posthumously published)

Nov 21, 2010
The first book I ever bought, loved it! x

We didn't buy books much in our house so it was a treasured possession. :laugh:

Wrecks

Lance-Constable
Aug 19, 2010
Oklahoma
www.investcomics.com
Jan Van Quirm said:
Wow - that's quite a list! Baum must be one of Terry's heroes! :laugh:

I've seen bits of Return so that's why it stuck as that's much more recent - I know it still had Dorothy and the Scarecrow, Tinman and Lion in it.
Wasn't the Return film a bit more crazy though? And is the book(s) and the film really different from the other?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Wrecks said:
Jan Van Quirm said:

I've seen bits of Return so that's why it stuck as that's much more recent - I know it still had Dorothy and the Scarecrow, Tinman and Lion in it.
Wasn't the Return film a bit more crazy though?
Well in that they had Dorothy carted off to a psychiatric hospital to be given electric shock treatment. And the bad witch in the story used to cut off her enemies heads and wear them in place of her own head. :laugh:

Tonyblack said:
Wrecks said:
Jan Van Quirm said:

Wasn't the Return film a bit more crazy though?
Well in that they had Dorothy carted off to a psychiatric hospital to be given electric shock treatment. And the bad witch in the story used to cut off her enemies heads and wear them in place of her own head. :laugh:
Used to really freak me out when I was little, that bit of the film o_O

Temple_maiden

Lance-Corporal
Dec 31, 2010
I have read the original book, but I had no idea there were so many - I only read the first one. It is very different to the film - there is a lot more in it, the film is heavily abridged.

Ghost

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 6, 2012
Blackcountry
I've got a early edition of the The Marvelous Land of Oz the second book in the series
and I love that book I've read it more times than I could count
the illustrations are wonderful and fun

User Menu

Newsletter