The worst witch

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
Did anyone else read the worst witch series by Jill Murphy as a child?

This was probably my first encounter with classic broomstick riding,pointy hat wearing witches,maybe even my first fantasy book of any kind.

I hear that its been getting a lot of bad press in reviews lately because of its similarity to Harry Potter,there are people who are convinced it is a cheap rip off of Rowling when in actual fact the first book was written in the 1970's,therefore it predates Harry Potter by quite a long while.

Someone else who has been accused of ripping off HP is TP himself.Apparently somebody asked him whether he stole the idea of unseen university from Hogwarts to which he replied, "Yes,of course I used a time machine", :laugh: :laugh:

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
unseenu said:
Did anyone else read the worst witch series by Jill Murphy as a child?This was probably my first encounter with classic broomstick riding,pointy hat wearing witches,maybe even my first fantasy book of any kind.

I hear that its been getting a lot of bad press in reviews lately because of its similarity to Harry Potter,there are people who are convinced it is a cheap rip off of Rowling when in actual fact the first book was written in the 1970's,therefore it predates Harry Potter by quite a long while.

Someone else who has been accused of ripping off HP is TP himself.Apparently somebody asked him whether he stole the idea of unseen university from Hogwarts to which he replied, "Yes,of course I used a time machine", :laugh: :laugh:
It was also a children's TV series. I watched it & thought it very good.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Worst_Witch_(TV_series)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think there were actually two series, Tiff. One back in the 80s and one just a few years back. A lot of the newer one was filmed at Castell Coch in Cardiff. :laugh:

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Think I only saw the first series, Tony, it would have been on when my kids were young. :laugh:

PS Thanks for deleting my double post, if it was you. LOL It wouldn't let me do it. Ruddy p.c. wouldn't let me post it at first, then posted twice.

Kneazle1

Lance-Constable
Jun 30, 2011
Plymouth UK
I loved the Worst Witch books although there were only three when I was reading them! I still have my extremely 'well loved' copies plus the fourth one in the series bought when I was much older :oops: I watched the first TV Series too.

Someone tried to tell me that Harry Potter was a rip off of Ursula Le Guin's Sparrowhawk books once :rolleyes: Still have my copies of those too..

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Re:

Kneazle1 said:
I loved the Worst Witch books [...] Someone tried to tell me that Harry Potter was a rip off of Ursula Le Guin's Sparrowhawk books once :rolleyes:
People who haven't been reading fantasy for the last 60+ years are not aware of the long, long tradition of magic schools.
I have a list of magic schools in fantasy that goes back to the fifteenth century.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
The first Harry Potter book is very similar to the earlier book' The Secret of Platform 11 1/2' by Eva Ibbotson. She has said she is flattered (to be fair, HP is a better book).

Unseen University is a pune on the Invisible College, later the Royal Society. But it's more like Oxbridge than a magical school anyway!

Alanz

Sergeant
Oct 18, 2012
I remember the Worst witch being on TV, I've never read the books though, I thought the Harry Potter books were ace :laugh:

octarinefire

Lance-Constable
Feb 25, 2013
I remember the Worst Witch film with Diana Rigg and Tim Curry from the 1980s ... loved it as a child and thought the TV series from more recent years wasn't as good but since it's been a long, long time since I've seen the film the chances are it may not be as good as I remember lol

Freebie

Lance-Constable
Feb 10, 2014
England
Ooh, yes! My sister and I had a few of the books when we were younger. I enjoyed them - good fun concept! It does sadden me those people accusing her off ripping off J.K. Rowling as has been mentioned! Very ignorant - you only need to look at the details inside the book to see some are from the '70s; otherwise online sites give you the original published year information!

I used to watch the late '90s CITV series. That was pretty good and they cast Mildred very well. Some of the characters didn't seem to fit so well, like her friend, Maud, who was too bossy or sarcastic.

Slantaholic

Lance-Corporal
Jun 1, 2013
UK
www.fanfiction.net
Read the books, watched some of the TV series...
The only thing I remember from the TV series is that big blonde strapping girl, yet from the books, I remember most of them, including Ms Snape, "Miss Hardbroom".

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter