Things you laughed yourself sick over

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

OrangeEyebrows

Lance-Constable
Aug 4, 2012
Terry Pratchett is the only author I can think of, other than Wodehouse, who can make me laugh, out loud and uproariously, with a single line - sometimes a single word. Even the late, great Douglas Adams, as much as I admired him, couldn't do it.

My username represents a time when I laughed until my stomach hurt [Spoilers! for Men at Arms]:

DON'T ARSK US ABOUT:
rocks
troll's with sticks
All sorts of dragons
Mrs Cake
Huje green things with teeth
Any kinds of black dogs with orange eyebrows
Rains of spaniel's
fog.
Mrs Cake

It's a silly, simple thing. As with most subtle humour, analysing it would probably break it, but I lost it at "Any kinds of black dogs with orange eyebrows" and really lost it when I got to the second "Mrs Cake".

Another one that really made me lose it was from [Spoilers! for A Hat Full of Sky]:

"Come Quick!" she yelled. "He willnae tak' a drink. I think he's deid!"

I'm sure we all love Terry Pratchett's humour. But when has he really tickled you? Which lines made you laugh out loud? Trust me - I'm a black dog with orange eyebrows.

Nov 25, 2010
London UK
www.youtube.com
Nobby whirling (or being whirled by) a morningstar in Guards Guards! - simple slapstick really but I couldn't get the image out of my head

and Nobby again, his reaction to being told he could be the next Patrician in I forget

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I can't control myself when I read about Death being the Hogfather in the department store. Or when the Feegles see Death, and one tries to headbutt him. Happy days!

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Light Fantastic said:
The old man had a large white horse tethered to a withered tree in a snow-filled gully some way from the circles. It was sleek, glossy and the general effect of a superb battle charger was only very slightly spoiled by the haemorrhoid ring tied to the saddle.
I nearly stopped breathing I laughed so much :laugh:

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
In the Wee Free Men when Tifany was trying to get the names correct Not as big as medium Jock but bigger than Wee Jock Jock put a big grin on my face, in fact quite a lot of the Feegles replies like how did you get into a nut,wis bit difficult when ye're a wee bitte pished. :laugh: I had better stop there before I fill a page. :mrgreen:

Catch-up

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 26, 2008
Michigan, U.S.A.
Nearly anything the Feegles say! Reading Wee Free Men aloud to the girls provided a lot of entertainment as I tried to do a Feegle accent (which I was told sometimes went French) and tried not to laugh at the same time.

Jan 13, 2012
South florida, US
www.youtube.com
raisindot said:
Om-the-Tortoise ineffectually cursing people (who can't hear him) in the early parts of Small Gods always makes me giggle. Also whenever someone says, "There's good eating on one of those."
Have to agree with this. Particularly "May your genitals sprout wings and fly away" :laugh:

Also the Dragon Dirty Harry bit in guards guards. when it started i was like, "please let him say it, please let him say it" so when he did i couldn't contain myself.

And Granny telling lilith "When you left, I, had to be the GOOD one."

OrangeEyebrows

Lance-Constable
Aug 4, 2012
Oh! Dibbler's feng shui, telling William to put the lid down on the privy so the dragon of unhappiness doesn't fly up his bottom. And his protests that he wasn't to know there really was a dragon of unhappiness. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
raptornx01 said:
Particularly "May your genitals sprout wings and fly away" :laugh:
There's a kind of double-bounce on that one, because there really is an ancient god-form like that... look up "herms".

User Menu

Newsletter