Thinking fourth dimmensionally

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
I was watching back to the future part three the other night and it helped me notice something fundamentally wrong with nearly all time travel movies.

The whole concept of the same space in a different time is all wrong,the train tracks wouldn't be in the same space at all because the earth is constantly turning.Think about it,even travelling a few hours in time would dump you at some far flung corner of the earth.Apart from that the earth is moving around the sun as well as being in a rotating spiral arm of a galaxy that's moving at how many millions of miles an hour away from the centre of the universe. (Pauses for breath) if you don't believe me just listen to monty python's song which explains it better than me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buqtdpuZxvk

Therefore what would actually happen every time Marty or the doc makes a jump in time they would find themselves in the middle of deep space and would quickly suffocate.

Feel free to point out anything else that doesn't quite add up in Back to the Future here.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
We are all travelling in time all the time. It's just that we travel relative to standard time.

The HG Wells time machine might work because he stays stationary and and time accelerates around him. :)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Which is why the TARDIS is better than a DeLorean (as much as I love Back to the Future).

I was gonna meet Christopher Lloyd at the Supanova Expo in Brisbane, but he pulled out at the last minute. :( A shame, I really wanted to meet him.

unseenu

Lance-Corporal
Feb 19, 2010
Hull,uk
rainsdot said:
Are you trying to say that......time travel isn't PLAUSIBLE?????????????????

Just what kinda Luddite er yuh anyway?
Time travel is plenty plausible,just not at it its shown in back to the future.Steven hawking says that if time travel is ever going to get invented why haven't we been visited by tourists from the future,I'm convinced we have.Why else would that lady I saw in france be wearing a brooch that said 'Leisure Time Travel-Liverpool'?

Getting back to back to the future can anyone rationalise the whole photographs/newspapers changing concept? I certainly can't

PS I am not a Luddite my sleep glands are in full working order(sorry for the really obscure doctor who reference)

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Thats why its called science FICTION!!!!!

Its like the Bible..... you have to have FAITH that the author knows what he is talking about... so suspend reality and just go with it ;)

Actually unseenu.... I used to collect science fiction short stories... there WAS one based on your exact theory.... he argued all the same facts out with his other scientist mates because they HAD just invented the technology... he kept saying what YOU are saying... but you knowhow it goes.... HE had to try it.... on his own in the middle of the night.... And that microsecond before he died... he realised he had timetravelled into rock :eek: or something like that .... fade to black.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I once came up with an idea for a book that had some religious nut from the future going back in time to try to meet Jesus. When he got there he couldn't find him and realised that he was going to have to be Jesus himself or history would be damaged.

I was telling someone about this idea and they said - Michael Moorcock, Behold The Man. It turns out that Michael Moorcock stole my idea, travelled back in time to the 60s and published MY BOOK!!!! :devil: ;)

And he won an award for it. :rolleyes:

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
meerkat said:
Totally unfair, Tony. Go back in time and sue him!
He can't...... in order to go back in time to steal something you would have to ensure it would be someone who would NOT be alive WHEN time travel was possible... because then he could go back in time to thwart you......

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
deldaisy said:
meerkat said:
He can't...... in order to go back in time to steal something you would have to ensure it would be someone who would NOT be alive WHEN time travel was possible... because then he could go back in time to thwart you......
Uh, hasn't anyone read The Restaurant at the End of the Universe? Retro-lawsuits are the way to go. :)

Jan 2, 2011
Delsbo, Sweden
Quatermass said:
deldaisy said:
meerkat said:
Uh, hasn't anyone read The Restaurant at the End of the Universe? Retro-lawsuits are the way to go. :)

I have, mum bought me the box set.

User Menu

Newsletter