Tourist Guide to Lancre is nonfiction

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

jjvors

Mar 7, 2010
Peoria, Illinois, USA
I joined this forum to post this.

The book, "Tourist Guide to Lancre" has a Dewy Decimal Number. That means it is registered as a NON-FICTION book in the United States. 823.914

This error is not at a library or regional library level; is this an error within the Library of Congress.

This is one of the funniest things I have ever heard.

I did not see discussion on this topic in this forum.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
theoldlibrarian said:
No, thanks for informing us but 823 refers to British Fiction.
Yeah, out Dewey Decimnal System can be a bit weird at times. You'll find a lot of fiction scattered about with nonfiction numbers like this. It happens quite a lot with anthologies of myths, fairy tales, and other kinds of stories that don't easily classify as being the work of an author.

I suppose that "The Science of Discworld" would also be classified as a nonfiction book as well.

What I really want to know is which library in America has this particular book? I'd love to get my hands on it!

J-I-B

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
raisindot said:
theoldlibrarian said:
No, thanks for informing us but 823 refers to British Fiction.
Yeah, out Dewey Decimnal System can be a bit weird at times. You'll find a lot of fiction scattered about with nonfiction numbers like this. It happens quite a lot with anthologies of myths, fairy tales, and other kinds of stories that don't easily classify as being the work of an author.

I suppose that "The Science of Discworld" would also be classified as a nonfiction book as well.

What I really want to know is which library in America has this particular book? I'd love to get my hands on it!

J-I-B
It's not a book but a fold out map quite easy available from PJSM PRINTS

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I'm not sure why you're asking this. I assume you're looking for a bit more than "Lancre" though? o_O

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Ponder Stibbons said:
I don't know. I seem to remember enjoying Lancre Bleu cheese before i even picked up a TP. I may be wrong of course o_O
Lancre Bleu just means blue cheese i think. But the translator is telling me l'ancre means anchor. I assume l being short for la or le the two French definite articles.

User Menu

Newsletter