Unfilmable Books

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
BobtheDrog said:
I've always thought American gods would never work
Tv series is on the way but it wouldn't work as a single film. Not sure on the series either. Anansai Boys would be a lot more straight forward.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Tonyblack said:
Small Gods would be difficult. Not that you couldn't film what actually happens, it's more a case of not being able to film the conclusions. I don't think the satire would come across. o_O
I rather suspect that Unseen Academicals will suffer from this problem as well. I really hope I'm proved wrong.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Penfold said:
Tonyblack said:
Small Gods would be difficult. Not that you couldn't film what actually happens, it's more a case of not being able to film the conclusions. I don't think the satire would come across. o_O
I rather suspect that Unseen Academicals will suffer from this problem as well. I really hope I'm proved wrong.
Most of Terrys work would prove difficult i think. Colour of magic was done terribly and probably shouldn't have been touched :rolleyes:

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
pip said:
She looked very odd when i was watching Gormhenghast recently. (another unfilmable i think)
Oh nooooo, that was awesome! A visual feast, I loved it. Must get it on disc, actually.

Unfilmable, Twilight. The movie proves my point.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Antiq said:
pip said:
She looked very odd when i was watching Gormhenghast recently. (another unfilmable i think)
Oh nooooo, that was awesome! A visual feast, I loved it. Must get it on disc, actually.

Is that unfilmable or unwatchable? ;)

I've got Gormenghast on BBC Video, I really ought to get it on DVD as I haven't got a video player now. :laugh:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
pip said:
Penfold said:
Tonyblack said:
Most of Terrys work would prove difficult i think. Colour of magic was done terribly and probably shouldn't have been touched :rolleyes:
It was not! The Colour of Magic wasn't the best possible adaptation, but I enjoyed it!

Oh, and Antiq? Twilight technically wasn't unfilmable. It's more of a case of 'shouldn't film', like Atlas Shrugged, though I will admit that the book was merely mediocre rather than abysmal.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
Antiq said:
pip said:

I have the DVD , actuallly quite like the series but it doesn't even break the surface at all of the books and completely ignores the third book. Basically it was impossible to get the whole lot on film. BAsicallyits a highly diluted version while still entertaining.

By the by the whole series is only five euro from Play at the Moment -
http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/9640...e=0&searchstring=gormhenghast&urlrefer=search

Well worth a look for the making of . :laugh:

Oct 19, 2011
Seeing as I have a tendancy to dislikeand viently criticize film versions of books I like, I'm tempted to say every book I own. Although, being serious, probably The City Of Dreaming Books by Walter Moers. Not because it's overly wierd ( alright, it is wierd but that's beside the point) but it's about a talking dinosaur so everyone would assume it's for kids and not watch it.

And that would be tragic.

Another unfilmable book: the dictionary :laugh:

Also, I agree with whoever mentioned The City and The City

User Menu

Newsletter