wearing the lilac?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I clearly remember Sir Terry responding online to a question, saying that readers of Night Watch have his permission to wear the lilac on May 25th. But I don't remember exactly where - it could have been on the old alt-fan-pratchett newsgroup, or its branch group, alt-books-pratchett.
Or maybe elsewhere? Could that have been repeated somewhere, maybe saved in the Internet Archive? I know that some of the archives were purged by some of the corporates.
Did anyone save a copy in a form that is currently accessible? I mentioned it elsewhere and I'd like to be able to back up my statement.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I seem to remember that Terry distanced himself from alt-fan-pratchett after members there told him that what he wrote was NOT what he meant. I think it's great if people wear the Lilac on the Glorious 25th of May. I don't have a saved copy, but I do think it telling that Terry thought he had to distance himself from his fans. :(

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
*reads Tony's comment; imagines own face turning puce with rage at "members there told him that what he wrote was NOT what he meant"*

Don't ever say that to anyone. Especially not someone like STP. :mad: How insulting! :eek:

I've only met STP briefly, but he struck me as a person who knew his own mind, and used his words carefully, and didn't say things unless he meant them.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The incident I recall was when a troll sneaked in and became such a pest that Sir Terry left. At which point the troll vanished.
Later, at worldcon, I met Sir Terry and he asked, and I told him that the troll had vanished as soon as Terry left, and shortly thereafter, pTerry returned.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
I don't recall for sure. There were times when he took breaks because of travel, wanting to concentrate on a book, etc.

User Menu

Newsletter