what did you read as a child ?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 12, 2010
Bristol

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I used to read anything I could get my hands on. That usually included any books that happened to be around the house. There was a lot of Enid Blyton and a truly awful series of books (although I didn't realise it at the time - only when I read one as an adult) about a guardian angel named Wopsy.

I've probably read more 'children's' books as an adult than I ever did as a child.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I read everything as well. Anything anyone bought me, and a lot of my parents books too. Although I stopped doing that for a bit when I found Straw Dogs :eek: I think parents might be more aware of inappropriate content on tinternet, tv and games than they are of books!

One of my favourite authors was Eva Ibbotson. Some of her books I still love to read.

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Agatha Christie from my library. I realised that you could get loads of Agatha Christie books in the massive print versions that you couldn't get in the normal size print. I read them all by the time I was 12.

I won an Agatha Christie competition in my local paper when I was 11. You had to connect the first halves of book titles to the correct second halves. They made a mistake and put the same second half down twice, so I pointed it out to them and told them the correct ending.

I got two tickets to see 10 little Indians at the theatre - which was dead good and I still remember it to this day. :p

Jinx

Lance-Corporal
Jul 27, 2008
Glasgow, UK
The Chronicles of Narnia - All of them but especially A Horse and His Boy.
Got them from my uncle when I was about 6(ish).

Also read a book I really liked at the time about a children's adventure on a river barge. Can't really remember much about it now though.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
I read SciFi of the hard type (A C Clark and that type and not the fantasy stuff) and Astronomy books.... it was very interesting times with new and exciting discoveries being made rapidly.....near the beginning of Space exploration Era.

PS...

If you are not old enough to recall those heady times I would recommend the movie The Dish with Sam Neill in it... the Apollo 11 movie or from Earth to Moon Mini series!

Very exciting times as a child..

I wanted to be an Astronaut!!

I Still do! :laugh:

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup All...

Like so many here: Everything and Anything. I have been trying to collect editions of those books I had from my school libraries, but nowadays they're as rare as Hens teeth.

One of my Ultimate Favourites, 'The Anthology of verse' has been broken up into pieces and the lesser known stuff has been omitted (Weck of the Hesperus, when Horatius held the bridge, etc) Pooh is well, pooh. (AA Milnes !) Jabberwocky's thought more of as the film, and all the Edward Lear, well, where is that ?

I loved (but own now!) stuff like 'Gobbolinos Cat, The adventures of the Little wooden Horse, all the Finn family Moomintrolls, Stig of the Dump, The Moon of Gomrath and that kind of stuff. I didn't like the Famous five, and the like, but loved the Comic strips spoof ('Oh Timmy, you are SO Licky !) But have a few 'Naughty Amelia Jane' originals and the like. Trouble was, when I left school, work Intervened, and more 'Factual' books took over...

The first DW book I actually read was 'The Light Fantastic', and actually bought 4 or 5 DW books to start 'from the beginning' and catch up...

Glad I did though. I can't thank Terry enough for all the Laughs he's given me since... :laugh:

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
I still love the Books of Beatrix Potter.

I read Monica Edwards pony stories, those are still good today, even won one as a school prize. :laugh:

Enid Blyton, Mistletoe Farm series, All the Adventure books, Mallory Towers & Famous Five, Secret 7. Yes re-reading them in later life, they are dreadful. :laugh:

I then graduated to the Bronte's & Jane Austen, mainly because we got them as set books at school.

Discovered Dennis Wheatley after that, then Alister Maclean & Desmond Baggley.
Joyce Stranger & Sci-Fi came later in life.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Tiffany said:
I still love the Books of Beatrix Potter.
I never had Beatrix Potter books as a child but have come to appreciate them as an adult. I have been to her house several times and am collecting the books as they come out for 100th anniversary specials. They only print 100 copies of each book as a special edition for worldwide distribution so I am on the collectors mailing and pre-buy before they as issued.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
mspanners said:
I read SciFi of the hard type (A C Clark and that type and not the fantasy stuff) and Astronomy books.... it was very interesting times with new and exciting discoveries being made rapidly.....near the beginning of Space exploration Era.

PS...

If you are not old enough to recall those heady times I would recommend the movie The Dish with Sam Neill in it... the Apollo 11 movie or from Earth to Moon Mini series!

Very exciting times as a child..

I wanted to be an Astronaut!!

I Still do! :laugh:
I was never into Asimov that much read come Clark and loads of others when I was young but always preferred Lin Carter,L Sprague,J. Vance and earlier etc. but yes exciting times. :)

Just about anything, although I gravitated more towards adventure novels, horror and SF&F. I went through a bit of a period of reading anything about animals, whether they were anthropomorphised, like in Redwall and its sequels, or slightly (though not much) more naturalistic, such as Duncton Wood, Marshworld or Watership Down, as well.

I would say my absolute favourites were The Hobbit and LotR, The Borrible trilogy by Michael de Larrabeitti, The Deptford Mice trilogy, Whitby Witches and Whitby Child by Robin Jarvis, and anything by Diana Wynne Jones, Ursula K. le Guin, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert E. Howard, Fritz Leiber, Michael Moorcock, Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clarke, Robert Westall, Graham Masterton, M.R. James, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle or Douglas Adams.

Antiq

Sergeant
Nov 23, 2010
Ireland
As a child, oh wow.....Jack and Jill, anyone remember that? Beano, tons of Enid Blyton, Hans Anderson, the brothers Grimm, A C Doyle, and, believe it or not, GK Chesterton. I still have his Coloured Lands, the copy I have must be more than 60 years old now.

deldaisy

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
Like I have said before... I am number 11 of 12 kids who never had TV. :laugh: Soooooooooooooo many books. Moving our book collections every three years was a larger operation than moving the furniture. It was always the ideal of the other kids "teach the little ones to read really early and you won't have to read TO them" so I read my first novel at 5. (apparently my parents didn't aprove of that book and it was the ONLY time I ever had a book taken away from me.) We had books on every subject under the sun; everyone had different tastes and they were all there for the reading. I think we had more books than the travelling library van.
Though I do remember with joy a little hard cover children's book called "Bunchy". Loved that book. She was a little girl who lived with her grandmother and had to amuse her self with cotton reels and pegs and things she found around the house (guess I identified with her). She also had a vivid imagination and there were "people who lived in the carpet" Hmmm. Sound familiar?

Maria

Constable
Nov 14, 2010
I know where you're coming from deldaisy. I'm the 5th of 11. :eek: Books gives me more pleasure than TV ever could. The Brothers Grimm. I read these stories I think when I was four. I was given a big hardcover book full of rhymes for Christmas. It was the Matilda rhyme we had to perform when I was about 6 at school. My most vivid memories of reading are the Thelwell books. With the ponies. I know they're picture books, but did they make me laugh! :laugh: I was going to reget them, but they are so expensive now. I can highly recommend them if you want a good giggle.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Hi Maria, I collect all things Thelwell & have all the books, in hb & pb. Not just the pony books. Thelwell was a brilliant cartoonist. He was also a not so bad artist too. I have picked up my collection, mostly cheaply from car boot sales, etc.

User Menu

Newsletter