What is the most interesting in Terry Pratchett's books?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
He writes with intelligence and wit, holds a mirror up to life etc etc, and he makes me wet myself laughing :laugh:

Welcome to the site Jane Doe :laugh:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Welcome Jane! :laugh:

I like the way Terry writes about human beings. It doesn't matter if they are trolls, dwarfs, vampires or anything else - they are still recognisably human with all their problems and failures.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
Welcome to the madhouse Jane.

I started reading the books very early on in the series and enjoyed the laugh out loud humour. Over the years, I have grown to appreciate the more satirical and philosophical side to his work.

He also has the ability to satirise taboo subjects (such as sexism, racism, religion, etc) without causing offense. In fact, when I first read TCOM and TLF, I was surprised that I not only found his references to HP Lovecraft's works to be very funny, but that I didn't have to take my literature quite so seriously! (I would have fitted in well with the 'hang anyone who criticizes LoTR' brigade in those days).

Mind you, I think you'll find a diverse range of answers when the others get around to this thread. Terry seems to offer different things to different people.

theoldlibrarian

Lance-Corporal
Dec 30, 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Welcome to the site although I am relatively new myself:) Terry Pratchett has a beautiful understanding of how the universe works. He understands people, geology and quantum maechanics and of course is the one of the greatest satirical writers of all time.

Oct 10, 2009
italy-genova
His books are the funniest things I ever read, he talks with intelligence about life and most of all about people, he writes about intelligent funny brave women, he writes about how bad prejudices are without making too much a fuss out of it, and he touches serious arguments with a wonderful touch! :laugh:
Did I miss anything? :laugh:

and Welcome Jane!!!

Jan 16, 2010
Holderness
The vaulting imagination.
Brilliant observations through the mouths of characters.
The twists on language, literature, history, mythology, fairy stories, customs, aphorisms, science.
Verbal and situation surprises.
Just one example: the name of Death's horse.

User Menu

Newsletter