WHATS YOUR FAVOURITE SCENES IN DISCWORLD NOVELS !!!

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
PRESENTLY READING MASKERADE AND THIS SCENE I LIKED AND CAN SEE IT CLEARLY IN MY MINDS EYE !!!

"Greebo sat on top of the kitchen cupboard and watched the performance with interest.
"Use the ladle, why don't you?"said a scene shifter
"It won't reach! Walter!"
"Yes Mrs Clamp?"
"Give me that broom!"
"Yes Mrs Clamp!"
Greebo looked up at the high ceiling, to which was affixed a sort of thin, ten-pointed star.
In the middle of it was a pair of very frightened eyes.
"Plunge it into boiling water", said Mrs Clamp "that's what it said in the cookbook. It never said "watch out, It'll grip the sides of the pot and spring straight up in the air"-
She flailed around with the broom-handle.
The squid shrank back.
:laugh:

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
That is a very good scene granny playing cripple mr onion !! still not sure how to play it with friends yet :laugh:

love the greebo and vampire bat scene :laugh:

"Vampires have risen from the dead, the grave and the crypt, but have never managed it from the cat."

I like the one in Interesting Times when Rincewind is trying to break out of his cell.

It dawned on him that he was working on the wall that led to Twoflower's cell. Taking several thousend years to break into an adjointing cell could well be thought a waste of time.
He started on a different wall. Scratch... scratch...
There was a terrible scream.
Scratchscratchscratch-
I mean, I can see it as if it was happening right in front of me. It's sooo Rincewind. ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I loved the scene where Death is The Hogfather in the department store. I laugh out loud every time. The TV version just didn't do it justice.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Oh, I can't just post one. Here are my favorites, in not necessarily descending order.

[WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD]

1. Vimes's final confrontation with Wolfgang near the end of The Fifth Elephant

2. Moist, after going through the epiphany of seeing Mr. Fusspot make a buzzing appearance in the courtoom, finally freeing himself to admit his past in Making Money

3. Vimes confronting the city dwarfs after the attack on his home in Thud!

4. Granny's final confrontation with the Magpyrs near the end of Carpe Jugulum

5. Tiffany Aching's final confrontation with the Elf Queen in Wee Free Men

6. Lobsang's appearance before the Abbot near the end of Thief of Time where he chooses to become a sweeper instead of a monk and is reprimanded by Lu Tze for his smugness

7. Mr. Tulip's first "art appraisal" in the home of Lord De Worde near the beginning of "The Truth."

8. The restaurant scene in "Going Postal" when Moist, upon meeting Reacher Gilt for the first time, realizes that he is in the presence of a master

9. The scene in Hogfather where Death and Albert reprimand the king for demanding gratitude from the peasant to whom they've given food that he doesn't want

10. The final confrontation between Vimes and Carcer (and Vimes' subsequent conversation with Vetinari) in "Night Watch."

J-I-B

I like the scenes halfway through a book where it seems like everything is going the protagonist's way. It usually comes with a mental success montage. Like the golems delivering mail, hobos selling newspapers, and clicks being popular. Money rolling in is also part of it.
It just gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Toooooooooo Many to mention........ it is like opening a box of chocolates and finding they are all your favorite ones!!!!

BUT if I had to choose one then it is the fight when Carrot and Nobby are on patrol the first time and Carrot finds the door open and Nobby was going to rob the shop............... and they eventually end up in the Drum and Vimes and Colon...... eventually....... arrive to rescue Carrot after He has won the battle!

Cracks Me up every time! :laugh:

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
HERE IS ANOTHER I ADORED

There was a commotion coming from the dragon house.
Vimes entered, and shut the door behind him.
He rested the crossbow against the door.
The yammering and squeaking increased. little gouts of flame puffed above the thick walls of the hatching pens.
Vimes leaned over the nearest one.
He picked up a newly hatched dragonette and tickled it under the chin.
As it flamed excitedly he lit his cigar and savoured the smoke.
He blew a smoke ring at the figure hanging from the ceiling. "Good Morning " he said.
The figure twisted frantically. By an amazing feat of muscle control it had managed to catch a foot around the beam as it fell, but couldn't quite pull itself up.
Dropping was not to be thought of. A dozen baby dragons were underneath it, jumping up and down excitedly and flaming.

:)

Addams

Lance-Constable
Jul 16, 2009
Hmm, i would say the whole discussion and stuff between Tiffany Aching and the Wintersmith really was damn good, well written and even touching.

At the end of the 5th elephant, the little conversation between Carrot and Angua.

And of course when Death and Miss Flitworth dances in my personal favorite Pratchett book, Reaper Man.

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
One cameo (is that the right word?) that also sticks in the mind is the scene when Vimes uses the Dragon to stop the riot at the sanctuary - rip off from Dirty Harry - 'Are you feeling lucky?'

Not word for word with Dirty Harry but near enough for me!

:laugh:

Ever since then I have visualised Vimes as a middle aged Clint Eastwood!

:eek:

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
:laugh: Yea............... The Watch are my fav people from the books...... any other bits borrowed from the movies in terry's books................ I think Good Omens is loosely based on The Omen, any others?

Aug 12, 2010
Bristol
not quite a scene but I find this amusing :

"I,after hearing evidence from a number of experts, including Mrs Slipdry the midwife,
certify that the balance of probability is that the bearer of this document,
C.W.St john Nobbs,
is a human being.
Signed, Lord Vetinari"

aww poor nobby , bless his holey boots :)

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Yep Moving Pictures was just a wall to wall parody of early Hollywood... I am glad Gaspode made it through in the end as I think I read somewhere He was going to be killed off in the book but Terry was talked round into keeping Him alive.............. is this true? :eek:

Aug 29, 2008
Bridgwater Somerset
Yes poor Nobby, as a lad beaten by His Father and left to fend on the streets....... lucky for Him He meet Vimes in Night Watch or He would have probably ended up in a gutter or somewhere else equally unsavory!

Gaspode is the Dog equal of Nobby, dumped in the River in a sack with a Brick for a Mother......... BUT He had His chance to move into a nice clean Family friendly home and did a runner as soon as He could!

Living rough with the down and outs suits Him fine....as long as a sausage is visible in the near future ............. :laugh:

User Menu

Newsletter