Who else...?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It sounds like a typical example of Magical Thinking, that Humans are prone to make. In which case, it's exactly the sort of observation Sir Terry would make. :)

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Rincewind was never concerned about being happy or not--all he cared about was being safe and having a potato available. That sentiment of that comic strip, which I'm sure had absolutely no influence on Pterry in any way, is far more applicable to Vimes, particularly in The Fifth Elephant and Thud!, when he considers his unlikely meteoric rise in status and always worries about when the checks will need to be cashed in.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
I'm not so sure, Raisindot. Just think of the time during Eric, when Eric briefly becomes the Emperor of the Tezumen Kingdom, and Rincewind leaves him enthroned in the firelight. Everything is going right, which is why -- for Rincewind -- everything is going wrong. ;) (Just one scene later, he finds Ponce Da Quirm in the prisoner pit. One scene after that, he -- and Eric, and Ponce -- are tied to a slab on top of the pyramid ... and Eric whines: "I want my mum!") ;)

On occasion, everything does go right for Rincewind. For instance, at the start of Interesting Times, he is on an idyllic deserted island, trying to drink the milk out of a coconut, when some beautiful Amazons find him and offer him all his earthly desires (to which, of course, he replies "Can I have them mashed?") ... and then the wizards whisk him away to Ankh-Morpork.

Ridcully even remarks "Good grief!", Charlie Brown's catchphrase ... (and let's not forget, Ridcully is also known as Ridcully The Brown) ............... but saying "Good grief!" is completely understandable, because Rincewind had just gobbled down three of CMOT Dibbler's sausages-inna-bun*. (Without paying. And he is still upright. And happy). ;)

Or maybe I'm making too much of this ... but it's still fun. :)

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
It's the human tendency to ignore all the times something bad happened when we were already unhappy, because the contrast is less.

Latest posts

User Menu

Newsletter