Why Are The US Discworld Book Covers Absolute Pants?

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
No not too Nanny-like. She's not 'cuddly' enough - but she IS wearing red shoes so she can't be Esme :laugh:

Looking at that in comparison with the Dutch/hardback picture I think he was playing around with angles and perspectives in that as it's behind Nanny and Casa on the hardback and behind the Erlking in the UK paperback view - definitely different palettes though which is why it looked so odd in Sjoerd's first pic of the hardback but then the 2nd one#s colouration is closer to the paperbacks?

Sorry fussy - layout editor talking here :laugh:

kakaze

Lance-Corporal
Jun 3, 2009
Tonyblack said:
kakaze said:
And why should you be angry at the cover artist for drawing four eyes when the character in the book has four eyes? I was more annoyed with Pratchett for getting a little carried away making Twoflower seem strange and exotic.
It was a misunderstanding apparently. Terry meant that Twoflower was wearing glasses - no one in A-M had seen them before so that's how they described Twoflower. Josh took Terry literally and drew him with four actual eyes. :laugh:

Annotations on LSpace said:
- [p. 16/16] "[...] found himself looking up into a face with four eyes in it."

On the covers of the first two Discworld books, Josh Kirby actually drew Twoflower with four physical eyes. Consensus on alt.fan.pratchett has it that Terry was trying to get across the fact that Twoflower was wearing glasses ('four-eyes' being a common insult thrown at bespectacled folks), but that Josh Kirby simply triggered on the literal text and went off in a direction of his own. Whether this action essentially shows Kirby's interpretative genius (the KirbyFan explanation) or his inability to get the joke / read very carefully (the NonKirbyFan explanation) is a matter still under discussion.
Well, I can certainly relate to Kirby if this is the case. When I read the book, I read it with Twoflower having four eyes. And this joke isn't used anywhere else (I'm sure there's cases of glasses being used elsewhere, aren't there? I'm sure the headmistress in Thief of Time had glasses because I remember that she tied her face to her own chest with them.) except with twoflower. Isn't there another reference to him having 4 eyes in Interesting Times?

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Yes, people certainly have glasses in later books - and false teeth and iconographs, but they don't seem to have existed in A-M before Twoflower visited there.. :)

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Well Cohen and his troll teeth din-chewers were right back in Light Fantastic so not that much more 'innovative' than 'speccy 4-eyes' so far as A-M's concerned and right back at the very beginning more or less.

I rather like that Josh K took the literal approach with Twoflower and gave him 4 eyes, even if he did make rather a spectacle of himself... :oops: Seriously though I think it's could've been a missed opportunity that Terry didn't go with the weird and how wonderful to have double the visual opportunities!

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
To me the US covers lack imagination and zeal. It seems that they give a VERY brief idea of what the book is about and a brief look at the UK covers and copy them. Sort of like that agme that kids play at camp. Put a uch of items on a tray take the cover off for a count of five and them place it abck and try to remember what was on the tray.

Sort of like Burtha in Small Gods when he was in Vorbis outer chamber.

It looks like the artist boss said, "LOOK NOW!" (Flashes the UK cover proof then hides it behind his/her back) "Okay, copy that as best you can!"

Whittle! Complete whittle!

Is there anyone who can contact the US editor and have the explain to us why she whittle is produced!

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Tonyblack said:
Exp. Date said:
Is there anyone who can contact the US editor and have the explain to us why she whittle is produced!
There's nothing stopping you as a consumer contacting Harper Collins, Doug. It might be worth a shot. :)
Actually I am waiting for the US Con to voice my opinion in person about this very topic, and also why there are variencies on the voices that Stephen Briggs does between the UK/ US recording.

Such as King of the Golden River in The Truth his voice is deep and 'cockney' in the UK version and in Making Money he is whiney and proper almost. Threw me for a loop. It's always the small things that grab your attention.

GrayGriffin

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2009
Taiwan
Hmm...I get my books from the library, so I just have to go with what I get...however, the ones there seem to have just a plain cover with a single picture on it and don't look like any of the ones in this thread. The exceptions are the Tiffany Aching books and the Maurice story. Also, looking at U.S. v.s U.K. covers for Hat Full of Sky, I wonder which one the library has. It looks a lot like the US version, but the Feegles are less neon blue.

GrayGriffin

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2009
Taiwan
I have no idea about the beer...no one in our family drinks beer. Anyways, I don't really care what the covers looks like, as long as the story is intact. I also have to say that I don't really like the "full illustration" covers because they look too busy.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Exp. Date said:
Tonyblack said:
Exp. Date said:
There's nothing stopping you as a consumer contacting Harper Collins, Doug. It might be worth a shot. :)
Actually I am waiting for the US Con to voice my opinion in person about this very topic, and also why there are variencies on the voices that Stephen Briggs does between the UK/ US recording.

Such as King of the Golden River in The Truth his voice is deep and 'cockney' in the UK version and in Making Money he is whiney and proper almost. Threw me for a loop. It's always the small things that grab your attention.
It depends on what edition of the audio book you have the Isis one (unabridged) or the abridged Harper Collins one different readers.

User Menu

Newsletter