Why "The Simpsons" is still worth watching

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
The Simpsons has been running on auto-pilot for at least a decade or more, but every once in a while they do something that totally justifies the show's continued existence.

Getting Thomas Pynchon to do not one but two cameos on the show is one example. Another is the opening 'couch sequence' from the show two weeks ago. Conceived by Banksy, it spoofs that perception that the show and its merchandise are created in Dickinsean sweatshop conditions in Asia and that it's all endorsed by the right wing evil empire known as FOX TV.

To see it and read an interview of how it was done, go to:

http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/ ... y-opening/

If only the episodes themselves were still as good as these isolated bits.

J-I-B

Banksy's

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
raisindot said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
What pope? Where? I saw no pope in that :laugh:
Not from the Banksy clip, you very silly person. From the Vatican newspaper.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/1010 ... s_simpsons

:laugh:

J-I-B
:eek: Oi! It was pooh that started with the pope thingie and forgot to mention where that came from! :rolleyes:
pooh said:
It's worth watching coz the Pope just said Homer was a Catholic and the producers said bollux to him!
Why can't people quote what they mean! :p

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
Jan Van Quirm said:
raisindot said:
Jan Van Quirm said:
What pope? Where? I saw no pope in that :laugh:
Not from the Banksy clip, you very silly person. From the Vatican newspaper.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/reuters/1010 ... s_simpsons

:laugh:

J-I-B
:eek: Oi! It was pooh that started with the pope thingie and forgot to mention where that came from! :rolleyes:
pooh said:
It's worth watching coz the Pope just said Homer was a Catholic and the producers said bollux to him!
Why can't people quote what they mean! :p
My original post was replying to the title of the thread and thought it was obvious to anyone who follows the news what I was talking about. :rolleyes:

Jan Van Quirm

Sergeant-at-Arms
Nov 7, 2008
Dunheved, Kernow
www.janhawke.me.uk
Dearest smartypants - I take very little notice of any mention of the 'pope' word in the news as I have zero interest in deranged hype from the leader of an outdated belief system... o_O

The Simpsons on the other hand are fascinating and as Jeff's post didn't refer to that obscure and unnewsworthy article but to the couch gag featuring apparently enslaved Korean animators it somehow slipped through my radar - inexplicable from your fevered perspective I realise, but true nonetheless :rolleyes:

For an avowed atheist your interest in things religious seems to have reached 'mania' proportions, so please do try and rest in a darkened room and avoid all irritating/stimulating objects such as crucifixes and rosaries or indeed reports on former notable worthies of the hitler youth movement - they're really not at all important in the modern world

User Menu

Newsletter