Worlds Greatest Detective (The Vote)

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Who is the Worlds Greatest Detective?

• Hercule Poirot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lord Peter Wimsey

• Miss Marple

• Morse

• Sam Vimes

• Sherlock Holmes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
The nominations are over and the top six most nominated are now up for voting! There are six nominees for the title, three of which were tied with the same number of nominations, and three others way out in front on the preliminaries. The list is in alphabetical order and does not reflect the number of nominations. I'm going to leave the poll open until the end of October and then declare the eventual winner.

Feel free to try and influence any opinions as to why your favourite is best.

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
To be honest, I meant to say we weren't allowed to nominate Sam Vimes but forgot and felt I had to stick with it. Being a Terry Pratchett Forum, I reckon the outcome will be a foregone conclusion but I hope I might be pleasantly surprised.

When the voting is concluded, Tony, I might list all of the nominees together with the amount of nominations received - it was all rather close (other than the three notable exceptions). ;)

I voted for Sherlock Holmes on the strength of his longevity, as well as the various portrayals in film and TV, rather than the literary ability of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
It has to be Lord Peter, both for the literary skill of Sayers and the plot development, Holmes just suddenly goes well this clay is only found over there so it has to be the gardener, you never get involved in the stories because the clues are hidden. Christie was prolific and great at plots but poor at writing so that detracts from Poirot and Marple. Colin Dexters Morse is a close second but the TV series is much better than the books so I have to discount him as in the original he is not the great detective of the TV series. As for Sam Vimes well as he would undoubtably say himself he is a policeman not a detective. He distrusts clues instinctively, more a Jack Regan from the Sweeney than a Morse for those John Thaw fans out there.

Tiffany

Sergeant
Oct 13, 2008
Devon
Penfold said:
To be honest, I meant to say we weren't allowed to nominate Sam Vimes but forgot and felt I had to stick with it. Being a Terry Pratchett Forum, I reckon the outcome will be a foregone conclusion but I hope I might be pleasantly surprised.

When the voting is concluded, Tony, I might list all of the nominees together with the amount of nominations received - it was all rather close (other than the three notable exceptions). ;)

I voted for Sherlock Holmes on the strength of his longevity, as well as the various portrayals in film and TV, rather than the literary ability of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
I agreed with Penfold & he put it much better than I could too. Holmes for me.

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup All...

NONE of the Above !

Kojak is.

'Naaaah, Who loves you Baby' is the greatest, ever !

User Menu

Newsletter