SPOILERS I Shall Wear Midnight *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
This is the place to post about the book where you can talk openly without fear of giving spoilers. :)

Warning! If you haven't read 'I Shall Wear Midnight' please consider very carefully before you read any more of this thread as it will contain spoilers.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
I haven't finished it yet, but I did feel a bit choked when I realised that what Tiffany was saying to Roland about the death of the old Baron was pretty much the same defence that doctors have to use all the time - I didn't kill him, I just took away his pain and he died happy :(

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
Damn it, Tony! This topic is the equivalent of the allegorical "bid red button" with the sign over it saying "Danger! Do Not Press This Button Under Any Circumstances!"

Must...resist...

:)

J-I-B

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Not much of a spoiler, but, the kelda is definitely brown!

Alright, so that was a very old conversation, but I just wanted to have the last word :p

SPOILER said:
And I think it was lovely (and slighty uncharacteristic ;) ) of Terry to let Tiffany have a happy ending :laugh: And without the massive helpings of sugar that some authors seem to think the readership actually wants for it's favourite characters :rolleyes:

poohcarrot said:
Finished it. A damn fine read, but hardly a children's book, I'd say. :laugh:

You'll never guess who the witch is on the cover. 8)
It was so much darker than Wintersmith, I thought, but I was satisfied with the ending :)

I feel quite lucky that I've kind of grown up with the Tiffany Aching books- when Wee Free Men was published, I was 11 :laugh:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
Finished it last night, I can see why Terry said this is probably the last Tiffany book as it is difficult to see what he does with her next.

I agree with Pooh it's not really a childrens book or even young adult which is it's official category.

I guessed it was Esk a couple of pages before it was revealed, as oddly I had been wondering if she would ever reappear a few months ago.

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Haven't got my book here, but didn't Esk just show up without any introduction? Do you mean the old witch who was watching over Tiffany? Because that wasn't Esk! :laugh:

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
I know who the old witch is, Esk is first introduced as Smith and only later does she reveal her first name and suddenly take us back to Equal Rites. Mind you the throw away line about looking after her son has got potential for a further story.

Not sure I like time travel in Discworld though, with Esk it sort of works because she was really odd to start with and was always seen as something really unusual, but Tiffany ? :rolleyes:

poohcarrot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 13, 2009
NOT The land of the risen Son!!
The thing that annoyed me about Wintersmith was, I thought Tiffany was stupid.
In ISWM she isn't stupid, but when she says to Roland that she will marry him, I thought "Uh oh, being stupid again!"
Very clever how it worked out, and was just a premonition. :laugh:

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
The man's right ;) I hadn't realised it was so old hat!

OK as well about Miss Smith, but I was expecting Esk to show up, and I already knew she was the daughter of the smith, so I missed that it was supposed to be a surprise.

The Mad Collector

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 1, 2010
Ironbridge UK
www.bearsonthesquare.com
OK, it's the way time travel occurs in this book I'm not sure about. It is different from previous examples. I'm going to reread tonight so I may be happier second time round. A second reading often improves my appreciation of the book. I wasn't keen on Unseen Academicals until the fourth reading when it really started to sink in

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I've just this minute finished reading it. :laugh:

It occurred to me that Tiffany's foe in this book was ignorance. Demonising witches and executing them is something that maybe in the past now, but that type of ignorance is still very much with us with such things as racism and homophobia.

I enjoyed this book more (I think) than Unseen Academicals, because in UA there was a lot of ideas but the story didn't flow so well. In this book, we pretty much follow Tiffany and what happens to her - that makes for a better narrative flow. One of the problems with Wintersmith was the way the story went off in different directions as we followed story threads of various characters. ISWM didn't do that at all and I think the story works better for it. :laugh:

Nice to see that Angua has a promotion! ;)

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Tonyblack said:
It occurred to me that Tiffany's foe in this book was ignorance. Demonising witches and executing them is something that maybe in the past now, but that type of ignorance is still very much with us with such things as racism and homophobia.
Did it seem a bit of a cop-out to you that amost all of the ignorance was due to a spell gone wrong? People just are that ignorant, and it might reach fever pitch levels sometimes, but it's always there. Alright so we might not know anyone who wants to execute witches, but any woman will tell you that there are still men (and even women) who think that women just aren't up to the job. And as you say, there is still racism and homophobia. And it doesn't take magic for this to happen, or for it to get out of hand.

But in ISWM, all the bad feeling wasn't the people's fault, and it went away overnight - phew!

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I'm not sure it went away completely - I seem to recall that it was always there, it just took someone to stir it up and the 'mob' mentality would kick in.

In a way the Cunning Man was the personification of hatred through ignorance. Yes he exists on the Discworld and needs to be defeated by Tiffany, but this is Terry using allusion to make a point. Ignorance can be defeated by logic and education - indeed, this is one of the reasons that Tiffany gets the school built - to teach understanding, not just facts.

The more people understand about other people the less they are likely to treat them with suspicion and hatred. I think this is the real message of the book. :)

Addams

Lance-Constable
Jul 16, 2009
I just realized, i haven't really enjoyed a Pratchett's book since Wintersmith.

Making money and Unseen Academical were seriously boring (in my very humble opinion, i'm quite sure a lot of you love those books) and now this one...well...definitely the weakest Tiffany book and even more sad, i didn't laugh or was amused one single time. (again, it's just my opinion)

And really, once again a creature is after the girl ? Really ?

Tiffany got a happy end though, that's a nice touch.

And it's always nice to see Carott and Angua.

Ohh and let's not forget good old Esk.

All in all, some good points but i really can't say that this book interested me. (which really is a pain cause i'm huge fan of the first 3 books)

User Menu

Newsletter