SPOILERS I Shall Wear Midnight *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Sep 10, 2010
Tokyo
I felt that the Cunning Man just wasn't really made scary enough, or said another way, it seemed to obvious each time he showed up after the first time that she'd get away. The whole Hare thing seemed a little contrived. I loved the Wintersmith and can re-read it anytime again and again, it's not as predictable (thank god I've got short memory).

So those are the negative thoughts, but I certainly didn't come away with any bad feeling over all. Infact as I've mentioned on the other thread, I actually cried over the last sentence ( I was a little drunk at the time). I love the whole concept of the sound of words.

I get scared when I see main characters of other stories showing up. Get a bad feeling that TP is doing his last round as it were and saying goodbye to them... but hell, I am a morbid old soul.

sheilaj

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
I thought this book was very sad..
When my grandmother died i went to sit with her in hospital on the same day. She asked after all the family, where they were and what they were doing. This was quite specific and not just were they alright. Then she said she was tired and wanted to sleep and told me to go for a walk in the sunshine. I saw her settle and left. she went quietly to sleep and died in her sleep. I have always believed that she had decided to do that and her questions were placing us for her with our lives going on.

This book had much the same feeling for me. We see familiar beloved characters behaving characteristically, we are given a sense that the Discworld will continue, and in which direction) by the introduction of Amber, Preston and Letitia. It felt very strongly like goodbye.....

Well that's that off me chest...
I thought that the Cunning Man was genuinely frightening and am glad that TP doesn't write horror as I could never read it. I think that Stephen King is a totally brilliant writer but his books give me nightmares!

Brilliant to see Wee Mad Arthur as the first police MacFeegle. I wonder if TP planned it or if he looked at WMA one day and realised "hey you're a MacFeegle?"

I am glad the hare story turned out to be a real truth and not a mystical one.

I think its a bit key that Tiffany's way of taking away the pain involves the active co operation of the patient and doesn't shorten the patient's life, ...having said that I absolutely support the concept of proactive pain relief for people in this world, even at the expense of shortening the life provided there is overt agreement by the patient or their advocate.

and yes...very heavy for a children's book!

Turtles4Ever

Lance-Constable
Jun 6, 2010
Well, I finished ISWM last night and am unsure about it. For about the first 3/4 of the book I thought it was rather excellent - it had a definite 'edge' to it and was an incredibly addictive read. It was after we found out about Letitia being a Witch and the lifting the of the 'curse' that she had put on Tiffany when it all started to go downhill for me. It just became ....... well, less interesting. And, as I had expected, the duchess lost her vile bite.

Then again, it might just have been a change of mood on my behalf. I must read it again. :)

Interesting narrative style to the story as well - the way it was told reminded me a bit of Nation (not a great book I'm afraid). During the first few pages there was a distinct lack of 'contractions' in the narrative - for example, 'was not' used instead of 'wasn't', 'cannot' instead of 'can't', etc. This seemed to diminish as the book progressed and I couldn't help but wonder if it was deliberate or some 'failing' with the speech-based software that Terry now uses.

So, on the first reading, ISWM wasn't Terry's best, but it was, on the whole, very good for the most part.

sheilaj

Lance-Constable
Jul 27, 2008
TheCunningMan said:
I felt that the Cunning Man just wasn't really made scary enough, or said another way, it seemed to obvious each time he showed up after the first time that she'd get away. The whole Hare thing seemed a little contrived. I loved the Wintersmith and can re-read it anytime again and again, it's not as predictable (thank god I've got short memory).

So those are the negative thoughts, but I certainly didn't come away with any bad feeling over all. Infact as I've mentioned on the other thread, I actually cried over the last sentence ( I was a little drunk at the time). I love the whole concept of the sound of words.

I get scared when I see main characters of other stories showing up. Get a bad feeling that TP is doing his last round as it were and saying goodbye to them... but hell, I am a morbid old soul.
Its interesting that you felt that too...

Verns

Lance-Corporal
Jun 19, 2010
London
I love Tiffany Aching and thought this was a cracking finale to her story. As others have already said, this was a story about the power of education to eradicate ignorance and prejudice, but wrapped up in a fairy story so that the allegory was never too heavy.

I didn't realise the mysterious time-travelling witch was Esk, nor did I figure out who was helping Tiffany behind the scenes. I'm not entirely sure what 'old' Tiffany did to help 'young' Tiffany (other than fan the flames) so I'm not convinced that part worked. I'll have to read it again (natch) but I'd have liked to have known more about what happened when Amber went home to her parents, and how Preston tracked down the odious nurse.

So, for me, there were a couple of gaps in the narrative. Maybe these were intentional - Esk's son, Amber and Letitia have potential in future yarns - or maybe I just like novels to be wrapped up neatly.

The other aspect of the book I loved was Tiffany's realisation that her relationship with Roland had been built on the attraction of two lonely people who didn't really have much in common other than a frying-pan. But in Preston, with his love of words and quick understanding, she found her soul-mate. Sniff.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It struck me that after Amber's ordeal, she was quite literally 'away with the fairies'.*

*To any Feegles reading this - I promise I'm not calling you fairies - HONEST!!! ;)

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
sheilaj said:
TheCunningMan said:

Its interesting that you felt that too...

I felt this too. I did like the end though.

Really enjoyed it. And I must say I am sorry that I won't ever spend any new time in the presence of Tiff and the Feegles agin.

Echo the worries from other postsers about Saying bye to major characters. But surely even if that was in Terrys thoughts he would want to give Granny Weatherwax and Vimes better send offs that their parts in this book?

The rat

Lance-Corporal
Apr 18, 2009
Bad Blintz
Oh, where to begin on this book. First, best book in a long time! Best suspense and character building. I thought UU was the best, and it is for humor, and that ole discworldian feel. I liked ISWM simply because I could not put it down easily at any point. Even when he DW fans complain the lack of chapters so we can say, "Okay Chapter 6. I'll stop here for tonight and go to sleep." Nope, not a chance with this one. I was trying to read this morning falling asleep and he book hit me in the face about 6 times before I grudgingly put it aside, but when I woke up enough it wasn't long until it was back in my hands!

Second, Feegles! I liked that they were more social (if you really want a social feegle) and allowing Tiffany a little more leeway for help and not seem so mysterious and off standing with her people on the Chalk. Wee Mad Arthur finding his true home and the clearing up of his muddled background from previous books is great. Always thought he was more feegleish than gnomeish.

Third and most important as stated earlier in this thread was what Tiffany was fighting against was pure ignorance in all its form. Written, art, people and deed. It was subtle but when it struck me was when Tiff was looking at the tapestry. A simple picture taken in the wrong context can lead to a big misunderstanding.

What I also liked was Preston. Roland was right thinking that he does love Tiff, but he doesn't have the mind or patients to deal with it. He would need all his thinking to rule his country and trying to understand a simple conversation with a wife like Tiff would be too much, but what he is getting in Letita (sp?) is not going to be much better, but maybe being in close quarters and being trained along side Roland might help. I see Letita being more of a kitchen witch then a social witch like Tiff. Preston is definitely more along Tiff's understanding on life and love and how the real world works. I do see him and her having a long and happy life, even if they don't get married, they will have an 'understanding' and might 'make their own entertainment'.

I like that Angua is now a Captain, long over due in my opinion and with the complaints that people had with her being made captain out of a Watch book, Cherry was made a sergeant in between books as well. I always thought of Angua a Captain since Monsterous Regiment.

When the Watchmen yell, “they go the Sarge” when that person is thrown out of the King’s Head was it Colon? I thought it was by the size of the person and helmet?

Boffo! I loved that the masks of the evil wicked witches was from real life, and her son trying to tune a fart kept me laughing!

So much more I want to discuss, but too many thoughts right now. Best book ever in the Discworld, but maybe I am saying that since I just finished it. Must read again when it is availibe for the nook. This will give me time to digest it and go in with fresh eyes.

Oh, yes. (see too many thoughts) I kind of thought after the meeting with Esk and he time travel I looked at the cover and picture and thought it was but the hare necklace was throwing me off. I thought the horse would have been there! But I was right in my surmise!

polythenegirl

Lance-Corporal
Sep 6, 2010
Nottingham, UK
Woo Hoo! First proper post (other than intros and weather lol) so go easy on me!

I have to say although I enjoyed it I was not that impiressed with it. I think it was too fairytale like and had a happilly ever after ending which is really unlike TP IMO. Not such a fan of it, but then I'm not a fan of the Tiffany Aching books anyways (except for the wee free men characters). They seem to be written for the younger readers of Discworld and don't raise enough of a satiricial comparision to real life for me. I found some of the language and the way it was written almost condescending at times.

10luluff

Jul 10, 2010
i shall wear midnight

just finished iswm i loved it i was giggeling on nearly every page terry craks me up,i was delighted by the return of esk i often wonderd what became of her.and i was extatic when granny wetherwax and nanny ogg came for the wedding and funeral,even though they wenrnt a big part of the story there 2 of my favorite charactors and it was nice to know they are still knocking about somewhere and we may hear about them in the future[which is a comfort,to me anyway]i thought the mysteryous old woman in black was granny aching but obviously it was tiffany hooray we know she got there in the end 5 stars from me. ps my spelling is akin to rob anybodys sorry :oops:

am reading small gods now its the only one i dont remember propely.

:laugh:

TXWRX

Lance-Constable
Apr 29, 2010
Started the book last week and am very much enjoying it but i've skimmed over the rest of the thread, will come back properly when i've finished it!

Seem to be enjoying it more than unseen academicals, although it might just be that i'm in a better frame of mind, need to give it another go i reckon

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
I think the narrative flows better than Unseen Academicals. ISWM pretty much follows Tiffany and what she does. UA tended to jump around to various characters, which could be a little jarring at times. :)

User Menu

Newsletter