SPOILERS I Shall Wear Midnight *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
I find that Tony Robinson ones leave too much out, as well as one voice fits all to me not enough variation for the different charactors potrayed.

I have all mine in unabridged versions gave away the only abridged one I had, I did not like it at all.

Jan 15, 2013
Yes, the unabridgedness of the Stephen Briggs versions is why I went for that. ISWM is the only one of his I've listened to. I never had any Discworld audio books at all. The Tony Robinson ones I had were a couple from the Johnny and Truckers series.

I mostly liked Briggs' reading, I'm just left not sure whether the dialogue sounded a certain way because of how it was written, or Briggs' reading. I don't think the posh little voice he gave Tiffany helped, as it made her sound a bit patronising and stern. I know these are elements of her character. I just didn't feel so warm towards the character in this book as previous ones, and thought it might be that it was because of the voice Briggs gave her.

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
For me it was the darkest book in the series, maybe that was projected in the dialog. Wyrd Sisters is read by Celia Imrie
and I'm not so keen on her, with Nigel Planer I can hear Niel in some parts (if you have ever watched the young ones). :mrgreen:

Celia did fine to my mind (and i liked the touch of having Nigel still do Death's voice for her books as well). between Nigel and Stephen I can't take one over the other overall, but I do like certain characters better. I loved Nigel's Death, nanny, Colon, and detritus. But liked Stephen's Igor, Angua and Carrot (to a lesser extent). Both their Vimes and Vetinari's were too similar to call to my ear (discounting very early Vetinari ofcourse.). and I also love Nigel's meek voice. Like when Carrot is scolding the AM and Klatch soldiers in Jingo, or the kids and nobby talking to Death in Hogfather.

I did listen to one Tony book though. A Hat full of sky. One thing I did like about it is the little bit of production they put into it. how the two Miss Level's melded together. and the echo effects on Tiffany when she trying to speak through the hiver. Those little touches added alot.

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Hi all, just finished I shall wear midnight this very eve, lots of tears from me in this book I must say, especially in the final quarter! I feel it was tied together nicely, and what a twist / surprise that the witch on the front cover, with her hand on Tiffany's shoulder (whom I'd assumed was Granny Weatherwax), turned out to be Old Tiffany from the future??!! Wasn't expecting that, although had wondered about the "old tiffany" on the front cover wearing the Hare broach / cape pin, and thinking "Granny weatherax wouldn't wear that"?! :laugh: :laugh:

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Hmm Could be dave, but it DOES look like an older version of Tiffany, also I Just noticed she's wearing Tiffany's colours under her dress (you can see it showing by her collar), plus the hare broach / fastener of the cape is an open and shut case for me. Anyone else interpret it either way I wonder? Would be interesting to hear other peoples opinion too? :think: :think:

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
It's definitely older Tiffany as far as I'm concerned. The hare brooch is a dead give-away. :laugh:

I remember the amount of discussion we all had when we saw the cover before the book came out.

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
I hope an idea can be obtained in August of how far / close away the next book is too! Also In this book I had a huge shock when Tiffany first told Roland she was going to Marry him!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Only to later realise towards the end of the Book it was meant Marry as in Marrying Roland to his bride-to-be Letitia, the way a pastor or priest would! Clever! Hope Tiffany does end up with Preston, they're well suited :)

I first thought it is Esk on the cover (before reading I already knew that Esk will have an appereance in the book), but after I knew about the hare-brooch and after I knew that Tiff meets herself I have been pretty sure that this must be Tiff herself on the cover.

Discworldpadawan said:
I hope an idea can be obtained in August of how far / close away the next book is too! Also In this book I had a huge shock when Tiffany first told Roland she was going to Marry him!! :eek: :eek: :eek: Only to later realise towards the end of the Book it was meant Marry as in Marrying Roland to his bride-to-be Letitia, the way a pastor or priest would! Clever! Hope Tiffany does end up with Preston, they're well suited :)

Yes! This has been one of this wonderful moments at which I had to click my tongue as I realized how it turned out "to marry Roland". Very good! :clap: :clap:

fids

Lance-Corporal
Apr 29, 2011
Hereford
Just re-read this book, loved the way it ended tiff's education and set her on her way. An amazing journey following tiffany through her trials and tribulations to qualify as a witch.

I really hope there's another, so many possibilities

Rob Anybody being lord of the manor, his manor, crivens

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Who's Wee Dug said:
That's a possibility,DWP might find out more at the convention in August. :laugh:
I hadn't realised getting tickets to the convention was like trying to get to the moon on rollerskates!!! Tickets must me valuable as gold dust!!! How often does the convention happen then? An annual thing?

Jan 26, 2014
Wales, UK
Oh dear! That bad? I knew there were tickets involved, but in naivety I also assumed you could just turn up at the door on the day and expect to get in?? I take it this in not the case?? :doh: o_O

User Menu

Newsletter