SPOILERS I Shall Wear Midnight *Spoilers*

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

pip

Sergeant-at-Arms
Sep 3, 2010
KILDARE
MrBaloo said:
Tonyblack said:
It really is a very good book! I need to read it again soon. Welcome to the site, MrBaloo! :laugh:
Why, thank you much-
DO like the Firefly quote in your signature, I must say. . .

MrBaloo
Welcome mr Baloo.

well if you're a fan of Firefly have a look in the tv /films section . we had a great thread going on firefly and other Whedon tv programs.
One or two of the regulars are fans :laugh:

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
The Mad Collector said:
Just ordered the Stephen Briggs discs. I wasn't a big fan of the book when I read it but sometimes Stephen can get me to see it a different way just by the fact he is reading to me. I get a different emphasis than just reading it myself
I agree with you there. I just rejoined Audible for the 15th trial run(always do it to get my freebie book then cancel. Aren't I a turd?) but I may stick with it for a month just to get Briggs's version of this. It's the perfect book for Briggs, because he gets to revisit the characters he does exceptionally well (Vimes, Carrot, the Feagles, Tiffany), those he does okay (Granny, Nanny), and some of the characters we've never heard him voice yet.

Om(nomnom)

Lance-Constable
Jun 8, 2011
Hi there, :)

I'm new here. I'm a big Discworld Fan and have read most of the regular books several times.

I just finished ISWM and overall really liked it.
It felt a bit jumpy and rushed sometimes and threats and dangerous or unfair situations seemed always to be resolved almost immediately and all too quickly for my tastes, but I blame all that on the fact that it was written with younger readers in mind. That said, it really is a entertaining, but also deep book that makes you think about the world and yourself and aside from the obvious agenda for example how you deal with the voices of envy and jealousy in your own head.

But what I generally really like about the Tiffany Aching stories and why I can relate to them so much is that they remind me of the time when I did community service (Zivildienst) and did (and sometimes struggled with) things like wipe those who cannot wipe, lifting people way more heavy than myself in and out of bed, dealing with domestic violence, dementia, death, misery and what else happens behind closed doors usually.
And yes, even though I did see horrible things and was quite desperate at times, I'm quite proud and even glad about it. Also the people that actually do this for a living an not just a year like me have my utmost respect. It is really one of the most challenging and important jobs that I know and it can wear you down quickly if you are not careful, both bodily and emotional.
So I have always read those books as a nod of respect and appreciation from Terry to those people, giving them a bit a of a place in the spotlight.

Thud! and the fifth Elephant being among my favourite Discworld books I'm now eagerly awaiting the paperback release of Snuff. :)

A

Anonymous

For me I have gone for the non-signed edition just to complete my paperback set, however I do plan in future to get a signed copy to add to my collection. This novel is said to be the last in the Tiffany Aching series, which started with the Wee Free Men and has so far spread across 4 novels. I love the Feegles and Paul Kidby for me has got their image spot on in his artwork. The novels themselves have been really good and well worth a read for people knew to Discworld. What I also like about the books is we have been treated to cameos from Granny Weatherwax, one of my fav Discworld Characters of all times. I am still hoping that Sir Terry writes another witches novel with Granny as lead character some time in the future

Jul 27, 2008
Stirlingshire, Scotland
Mr.Hazey said:
For me I have gone for the non-signed edition just to complete my paperback set, however I do plan in future to get a signed copy to add to my collection. This novel is said to be the last in the Tiffany Aching series, which started with the Wee Free Men and has so far spread across 4 novels. I love the Feegles and Paul Kidby for me has got their image spot on in his artwork. The novels themselves have been really good and well worth a read for people knew to Discworld. What I also like about the books is we have been treated to cameos from Granny Weatherwax, one of my fav Discworld Characters of all times. I am still hoping that Sir Terry writes another witches novel with Granny as lead character some time in the future
You can get one here.
PJSM Prints http://www.paulkidby.com/
I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT
SIGNED BY TERRY PRATCHETT
SIGNED PAPERBACK £10.00
they do the signed hardback as well.

Om(nomnom)

Lance-Constable
Jun 8, 2011
Do you think Amber might be in any way related to Simon? (of Equal Rites)
Even with Esk perhaps? Not very likely, in hindsight, because why should they leave her with a Dad like that, and Esk doesn't say anything in that direction, too, but at least it seemed possible to me for a while, since both Amber and Simon share an extraordinary talent of understanding and it is pointed out specifically. (Could be a hint at Preston, though, too or simply a device to explain how Esk obtained the knowledge of timetraveling.

A

Anonymous

Who's Wee Dug said:
Mr.Hazey said:
You can get one here.
PJSM Prints http://www.paulkidby.com/
I SHALL WEAR MIDNIGHT
SIGNED BY TERRY PRATCHETT
SIGNED PAPERBACK £10.00
they do the signed hardback as well.
Yep well aware of the site, having been using it for a good number of years........

Alrik Fassbauer

Lance-Constable
Jun 24, 2011
Germany
Hello, everyone,

I have read it through yesterday during the whole day (yesterday was a kind of holy day here in Germany, so I had lots of time). I finished it around 1:30 local time in the night.

Apart from it being a very, very, very good book (as usual), my main criticism is twofold :

- Too dark in general, especially at the beginning

- Tiffany aching seems to have grown an unpleasant tendency towards becoming a "Mary Sue". At the end of the book, she is so powerful she could easily surpass Granny Weatherwax when she becomes older

There are few minor points in general, thing I've noticed, but aren't really "right" or "wrong", just that I - peronally, that is - found them a bit annoying :

- Okay, this is a book about a girl becoming a with. A series of 4 books now, to be exact. But - how about bos ? They usually look rather incompetent in the books - if they are written about at all. Preston is the only positive example I can think of. It's basically a "women's world".

- This leads me to my next point : The book portraits the witches as very powerful problem-solving entities, so to say. What about wizards ? They aren't usually portraied as "problem-siolving", rather than "chaos-evoking" individuals (with a stzrong tendency towards everything that smells like food) [sorry f this sounds weird, but I have a real-life tendency to adapt the style of authors if I've read their books for too long, must have something to do with being an HSP, I guess].

- And this leads me to the next point : Wh isn't there a male equivalent to Eskarina ? A man who does witching ... This could be interesting ... And when I thought of it, the thought popped into my mind that "he would be a shaman, then. Because what shamans do is nothing but witching, only that it's the male side".

- And my very last point : The book is about ... well, pride, too. In a way. The pride of the witches, in this case, to be exact.
This ghas led me to the thought of "what about people with inferiority complexes ?" - It's because I'm suffering such feelings on one side - my "intellectual side", so to say, but not at all when I'm doing something manually, like repairing bikes or cooking, for example. Now, what I mean is, to show the world from the perspective of a prson who has deep inferiority complexes and perhaps even depressions. The world looks different, then. - And I think - since this series is about a girl growing up and learning about the "adlt world" - this theme coul be there, too. Because mental illnesses like that aren't that easy to spot ... And much harder to heal ...

- Ahem, this wasn't *really* my last point, because my last point is something that developed in my memory just this morning : In my stories I often write about the theme of healing. It's my favourite theme.
This morning, in my head there evolved a scene of the Cunning Man - becoming "healed" - in one way or another.

And my scene goes like this (it's a mere fragment right now) :
The Cunning Man is standing on one side.
The witch (not Tiffan Aching in this case) is standing on the other side.
Next to her is a priest of the original church the former Cunning Man belonged to.
And th priest says to the Cunning Man : "we don't do that anymore. [Killing witches and such.]"
The Cunning Man does not know what to do, because all he once believed iis shattered - in one second. He realizes that al he has done so far was wrong.
And then - he cries. He breaks down to his knees and cries. And becaue he cries, his eyes return.
And THEN - he can be healed. - And return to the land of the dead, where he belongs to (but refused to go to, without his wife).
And his wife - is the witch. Who - this is a possibility, not the scene as it is in my head - dies together with him at this momen.
And finally - this couple is reunited and they both return to the land of the dead, the Ultimate Healing in this case (in my opinion).
And in the background there are one or two other witches. Who go back to where they had come from, in company with the priest.
One of them could be Tiffany Aching. As a kind of spectator, not being allowed to interfere here.

This is the scene as it evolved in my head (with the last details as I riote it down here - that's the way I always do it when I write my own short stories).

And that's the end, then.

Alrik

P.S. : Thanks for this forum ! I'll be going to look around here more often in the future ! :)

Alrik Fassbauer said:
- And this leads me to the next point : Wh isn't there a male equivalent to Eskarina ? A man who does witching ... This could be interesting ... And when I thought of it, the thought popped into my mind that "he would be a shaman, then. Because what shamans do is nothing but witching, only that it's the male side".
Welcome Alrik! :laugh:

Some very good pooints there. I especially agree the above point, it would've been cool to have that explored at some point.

Enjoy the forum!

User Menu

Newsletter