Mark Reads Discworld

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.
Aug 1, 2015
I find it funny because he is always censoring other bad words but adds in swears where they aren't needed. Poor Mark, at least he seems to have picked up on it now.

I definitely agree that he should listen to the audiobooks. There's a few characters with some interesting speech habits (Tulip and Inigo Skimmer, mainly), and I think Stephen Briggs did a great job of bringing them to life.

barrie

Lance-Constable
Jul 25, 2008
Shoreham By Sea
www.etsy.com
Penfold said:
=Tamar said:
Mark has started reading The Truth. It's taking him a long time to learn that Mr Tulip is really not being censored by the publisher - Tulip really is just saying "-ing".
To be honest, I filled in the blanks when I first read it but he should know by now that Terry doesn't really do profanities in his books.
There are a couple in "strata" but it was early days then.
And in conversation Terry was rather colourful (especially when it was a one to one) Almost made me blush a couple of times.

Back on track, Ive never liked the audio books, they ruin the story in my head. The radio plays are Ok to a point but I know that Dibbler speaks like wot I do and no-one will convince me otherwise. :laugh:

Penfold

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 29, 2009
Worthing
www.lenbrookphotography.com
poindexter said:
I find it funny because he is always censoring other bad words but adds in swears where they aren't needed. Poor Mark, at least he seems to have picked up on it now.

I definitely agree that he should listen to the audiobooks. There's a few characters with some interesting speech habits (Tulip and Inigo Skimmer, mainly), and I think Stephen Briggs did a great job of bringing them to life.
I spoke to Mark about this at the last UK Convention, patricularly the word "bitch" as applied to a female dog. It turns out that a proportion of his followers (non-DW ones, tbh) object to the word and ask him not to use it. I get the impression that this also applies to some of the other censored words that he uses as well and he goes along with it since they are the ones paying his wages, so to speak.

I'm not sure that hearing the audible books would help Mark much, tbh, since the idea of him reading is to do so without any foreknowledge and everything coming at him for the very first time. He is getting used to the idea that very little Terry puts in to a book isn't put in there by accident though.

On a side note, I only just got the Goodmountain - Guttenberg reference when listening to this. :oops:

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The Truth is the book that came out on both sides of the Atlantic at once, from different editors each working from manuscript. I compared the two first editions line by line and was astounded at the number of changes one editor or the other had made. In many cases it made no difference (Otto's accent, for instance), so there was no need to have made the change. On the other hand, in some cases it made a significant difference - whole paragraphs were revised, information was lost (at least once to a typesetting error, because the truncated sentence also lacked the closing quote marks), and the meaning of some statements was changed in subtle ways that I think were important. I've been posting the ones I think are important as they come along.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
The current system is that when Mark reads a Science of Discworld book, it is interwoven with a regular Discworld book. This helps people who don't enjoy the science chapters. AHFOS will end this week and TSOD2 will begin. Shortly thereafter, the other book he's reading will end and GP will begin. Right now he's also reading TSALF but that's only in two parts.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
Why do I find it so hard to concentrate on the science portions of these books? I like science - it interests me and I genuinely want to learn more. But . . . when I read the books, my mind would wander off while still reading, meaning that I'd go pages without actually taking anything in. I thought it might be easier listening to someone reading it - but no. I don't think Jack and Ian are bad communicators. In fact I generally think they are very good at it. Is it just me?

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
No, not just you. I think it depends on what kind of science it is.

I found it hard to concentrate on the science when read to me by someone else, actually. I liked the original "Science of Discworld" because I like astronomy. I liked number 3 because I enjoy evolution. As for #2 and #4... I could take them or leave them. What's your view?

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
My oh my. Mark is becoming - not exactly prepared, but far more wary, as he gains experience with Discworld. He's now most of the way through The Science of Discworld 2 (the Globe) (which I just realized is a pun, referring to both the Globe Theatre and the globe of the planet Roundworld), and also most of the way through Going Postal.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Well, we're on Thud now. And it's all Discworld, all the time. I could keep up more easily when it was only two or three times a week, but now it's five days a week, no breaks. I don't know what people do who have actual lives.

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
Yeah, I have waaaaaay too many things to do than to watch Mark Reads Discworld. I'm looking for a new job, writing my own book, and performing in four concerts in the next 2 weeks.

Gah! I need to call up employers, edit my book, and rehearse my music. That's all done. Which is why I'm here. ;)

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
=Tamar said:
Well, we're on Thud now. And it's all Discworld, all the time. I could keep up more easily when it was only two or three times a week, but now it's five days a week, no breaks. I don't know what people do who have actual lives.
One of my Sunday highlights is listening to Mark do the videos of the week. I then watch them with his written commentaries during the week. It's been great to see him warming up to Terry's writing and being amazed by Terry's pure writing skills.

=Tamar

Lieutenant
May 20, 2012
Mark just announced that he will be cutting back to only three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), beginning December 31.
This is not just for Discworld, this is for all readings. His writing career is taking up more time, and, I have to assume, is beginning to pay enough that he can afford to focus on it.

Tonyblack

Super Moderator
City Watch
Jul 25, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
=Tamar said:
Mark just announced that he will be cutting back to only three days a week (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday), beginning December 31.
This is not just for Discworld, this is for all readings. His writing career is taking up more time, and, I have to assume, is beginning to pay enough that he can afford to focus on it.
That's fair enough. I see he is starting Wintersmith next week. I'm really enjoying his reading of Thud! at the moment.

User Menu

Newsletter