STICKY Sad News for us all.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Mixa

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2014
Barcelona, Catalonia
Last Saturday my grandfather died and during his ceremony it was recited a beautiful poem by David Harkins I thought it couldn’t be more perfect for this occasion either. It goes like this…

He is gone

You can shed tears that he is gone
Or you can smile because he has lived

You can close your eyes and pray that he will come back
Or you can open your eyes and see all that he has left

Your heart can be empty because you can’t see him
Or you can be full of the love that you shared

You can turn your back on tomorrow and live yesterday
Or you can be happy for tomorrow because of yesterday

You can remember him and only that he is gone
Or you can cherish his memory and let it live on

You can cry and close your mind, be empty and turn your back
Or you can do what he would want: smile, open your eyes, love and go on.

Thank you, Sir Terry, for all these incredible years.

Remember guys: let’s smile, open our eyes, love and keep partying in his honour. ;)

Mx

Nov 21, 2010

feanor

Lance-Corporal
May 24, 2009
Ayup All...

What a sad occasion to come back and visit on. I loved Pterrys writing. So many characters to cheer for, so many to Boo and hiss at, and of course, Rincewind and death. TBH, I think Death will be glad to leave him to walk that desert alone eventually because of all the Questions I suspect Pterry has got lined up for him. And I have to say that I'm truly envious of those of you who knew him personally, or met and stood at the bar with him. It had been a Bucket list thing of mine to go to a convention and vex him mightily ! As well as his stories, what I love about his writing is his deep well of put-downs and Quotes that I employ against my enemies who can't work out if I'm insulting them or not... Such fine words. Along with the stories which are all that matters. My life has been infinitely richened by Pterry, and I thank him for it.

I extend my Consolations to his family at his loss, But I beg to offer as a member of a backward old religion that extends the possibility of starting somewhere else when this life finishes to everyone, the hope that he is, indeed, Tripping the light Fantastic at this very moment. The colour of Magic...

Dotsie

Sergeant-at-Arms
Jul 28, 2008
Such a huge shock. I was pretending it wasn't going to happen.

RIP Pterry. You have given me much joy, and many new friends.

Oct 13, 2008
Devon
On the death today of Sir Terry Pratchett....

People of Discworld now do mourn,
None ever will die, no one be born,
On Turtles track, on Elephants back,
A'Tuin fades as light goes black.
New novels will never now live,
Yet he had so much more to give.

RIP Sir Terry.

My thoughts are with his Family & Friends. Such a sad time for all of us here too.

Australis

Lance-Constable
Oct 22, 2011
Gutted.

In so many ways he changed my life, made me see the world a different way, a better way. How can you say thanks for that?

He'll be very sorely missed.

Damn.

Grumpy

Lance-Constable
Feb 18, 2011
A very sad time for the whole writing world. Rest in Peace good sir, as we all know his books will live for centuries to come.

Jack Remillard

Lance-Corporal
Oct 27, 2009
I'm so sad today. Thank you, Terry, for the many hundreds of thousands of words you gave us all. Your books helped shape my view of the world.

My condolences to his family and friends.

User Menu

Newsletter