STICKY Sad News for us all.

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Toothy

City Watch
Jul 26, 2008
England
I'm still trying to come to terms with the fact that Terry is no longer with us.

Thank you to the friend who, 9 years ago, persuaded me to give those odd fantasy books a go. I was immediately hooked - who wouldn't be? Terry's skilful stories brought me to the forums and conventions where I've met some fabulous people and made some amazing friends. The world of Terry Pratchett has made my life all the richer.

It's a sad day, but I'm pleased that Terry didn't become lost inside his illness as he had dreaded but was able to go with the dignity for which he so staunchly campaigned. He will be forever missed, but leaves a wonderful legacy of books and friends - a never-ending ripple.

RIP, dear Terry. X

David Brown

Lance-Corporal
Jul 4, 2011
West Sussex
Sorry if someone has already said this, but let us celebrate the talent that was, rejoice in what he has left us, and think of those close to him in their time of loss.

hattie

Constable
Jul 31, 2011
Austria
I am so jealous of my Grandpa. He'll get to meet Terry Pratchett now...
There'll be a lot of carousing and cheerful valkyries :)

I raise my glass to a wonderful man and fantastic author!

Heard the news yesterday and have been longing to return to my safe heaven with you guys where I know there are people feeling the same.

I will be ever grateful for my friend who some years ago lent me a copy of Small Gods. It's probably been one of the best things that ever happened to me. I have found shelter in a world I could only access via the pages of some dogy paperbacks, but it was all the more real.
Discworld has changed my life. I have met some truly amazing people, made new friends, went to places I never thought I would visit and it also changed my view on the world. I feel I would be a lesser person if I hadn't got to know it all... and it all started with this:

"Now let's consider the tortoise and the eagle."

RIP, Sir Terry. And thank you for everything.

Wyrdskein

Lance-Constable
Sep 9, 2014
Kent (UK)
This is probably true for many, so excuse if it seems like I'm just talking about myself; but when I look back on my life, I will remember things and people that made me who I am, and helped me through - like folk rock music, Warhammer fantasy, Bruce Dickinson - those things which represent a certain kind of 'Britishness' that permeates our characters. Terry Pratchett was at the top of this list (I'm sure for many) - eccentric, excessively creative and completely brilliant. He is part of our landscape, and always will be.

That's all.

Nov 21, 2010
It makes me smile when I think that there are people out there and people yet to be born that when they discover his books will have all those great characters and stories to experience for the first time. That's pretty awesome.

JamesW

Lance-Constable
Nov 13, 2014
Bristol, England
spideygirl2 said:
It makes me smile when I think that there are people out there and people yet to be born that when they discover his books will have all those great characters and stories to experience for the first time. That's pretty awesome.
Well said Spideygirl.

Nov 25, 2010
London UK
www.youtube.com
RIP Sir Terry Prachett.

Thanks.

.... I was just going to leave the post at that but it doesn't seem enough... let me just say that my own assessment of the talent that is now lost to us puts him right up there with Tolkein, Wells, Shakespear, Dickens.

...Douglas Adams, Iain Banks, Sir Terry... the Gods are cheating.

Batty

Sergeant
Feb 17, 2009
East Anglia
I feel like a part of me is missing, but however awful I feel, it cannot be a drop in the Ankh to how his friends and family are feeling.
R.I.P. Terry. Your words will live on.

raisindot

Sergeant-at-Arms
Oct 1, 2009
Boston, MA USA
In Cat's Cradle, Kurt Vonnegut coined the term "Wampeter" as "an object around which the lives of many otherwise unrelated people may revolve."

Looking at all the people who have joined this forum and considering the thousands who have attended various DW events over the years, I don't think there could be more satisfaction Pterry must have felt during his life (well, in addition to the millions of pounds he made over the years) than knowing that he was a Grand Wampeter around whom the loyaly and passions of so many devoted fans revolved.

MrsWizzard

Lance-Corporal
Aug 30, 2009
United States
I first found Terry Pratchett nine years ago when I was just a kid. Reading absolutely bored me. Then a friend of the family recommended Terry Pratchett to me. I was much much less than excited. After ten pages into The Color of Magic (American here, don't mind the missing "u" :p ) everything had changed. It was like no book I'd ever read, and his writings got me through some very dark times in my life. Nine years later I study literature and teach it to kids as a profession. That all came from Mr. Pratchett. Who I am today, who I still want to be, my talents, and inevitably my wit were all born from the journey he's taken me on that started with a raggedy coward of a wizzard, a little naive tourist with a magic picture box, and a box on hundreds of little legs that eats people. Terry Pratchett became such a fundamental part of my life that losing him feels like I've lost a very dear old friend. I don't cry when someone famous passes much because there's always a disconnect between them and me that inhibits that particular little "sad" part of my brain. But all of us knew Mr. Pratchett like a mate and, from what I've read not having met him myself, he projected that same feeling of camaraderie in person, and because of that I haven't stopped crying for very long since I woke up to the very sad news yesterday morning.

My deepest condolences go out to his family and his friends. There will come a day when his memory brings you more laughter than tears, because his spirit is forever here in our Roundworld in his books, so his magic will always and forever be afoot. And my deepest gratitude goes to Mr. Pratchett himself for providing me with an escape into a world that made me both laugh and think, and for igniting the spark in me that burned through the world until I got where I am today.

From the pit of my heart and with the most profound sincerity, thank you, Mr. Pratchett. Make sure you teach him how the little horses move before you go on.

- Michelle

User Menu

Newsletter