Semi-Perpetual Book-Reading Blog, 2022

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Well, it's about time I've started a new one of these. The old one was getting a touch unwieldy.

For those who haven't read these threads before, I do these book-reading binges every now and then, but I have certain rules...

*I must, at least for a period, review at least one book per week, at least until I get tired of doing so.

*If I have started, but not finished, a book prior to starting this thread, then I may include it, as long as I have not read it all the way through at any stage.

*I must write a review.

*The book has to be relatively substantial. That is, I will not read an individual issue of a comic or manga (though an individual collected volume is fine), or a screenplay, unless said screenplay is accompanied by a making-of book, or a children's picture book. In addition, I will not be reviewing webcomics (unless available in printed form) or fanfiction.

Now, some caveats...

*I will NOT take reading suggestions. Anyone who does so will find themselves being given a very rude answer. However, comments and dissenting opinions (NOT reviews: this is MY review thread) are welcome, as long as they are decent and well-thought out.

*One of the unofficial rules, albeit one I might break (as it is an unofficial rule) is that I don't review two things of the same sort back to back. That is, I don't read two graphic novels back to back, two Doctor Who books back to back...you get the idea. I may break it on rare occasion, depending on circumstances...

Anyway, once I get tired of bingeing, I let it go for at least a month to recharge my batteries, before I start anew. The first review is coming soon...

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 1

The Story of Marvel Studios: The Making of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, by Tara Bennett and Paul Terry.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has become a cinematic success story. I had been curious about the making of the films before, and then, I discovered this mammoth two-volume work detailing the making of the films. But would it live up to the MCU’s hype?

Although movies based on comic books had been filmed and released before, it was the 2008 release of Iron Man that marked the proper debut of Marvel Studios, the film-making wing of Marvel Comics. This marked the beginning of an epic journey that redefined comic book films in the cinema. This is the story of Marvel Studios.

If I had to pick a major issue with this book, it’s that there are so many stories to tell. After all, this book covers the production of over twenty films, and even two large volumes, comprising nearly 500 pages, can only contain so much. And I get the feeling a lot more could have been said.

On the other hand, what it manages to cram in is wonderful. For all that books of this ilk are more style than substance, The Story of Marvel Studios manages to cram in discussions of casting choices, hiring of directors and other staff, shaping stories, and even some behind the scenes dramas I was unaware of. What’s more, it is very well-presented, as many books of this kind are.

Overall, this was an enjoyable book, albeit one that didn’t tell as much of the story of Marvel Studios as I would’ve liked. But hey, it was pretty damn excellent, otherwise…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 2

Persona 5 volume 1, by Hisato Murasaki, from the video game by Atlus.

Persona 5 has been one of those video games that I have enjoyed immensely, a picaresque tale of a group of teenagers rebelling against the status quo of society. But how well would the story translate to a manga? Let’s find out…

Akira Kurusu chose the wrong night to play the white knight. When he tried to save a woman from rape, the man he stopped sued him. Now, Akira has been forced to attend school in Tokyo while on probation, treated with suspicion by adults and peers alike. And while Tokyo is plagued by mysterious accidents and psychotic breaks in its citizens, Akira is plagued by strange dreams of being a prisoner, told by a bizarre man called Igor that he must undergo rehabilitation. And when on the way to school, he is drawn into a bizarre alternate reality, Akira must fight back with his rebellious will…and its manifestation in the power of the Persona…

Part of the problem with initial volumes of manga series like this is that there’s not as much plot progression as one would like, and adapting a video game can be tricky (I did not think much of the first volume of the manga of Persona 3, after all). And having played the game in question, I knew there were quite a few scenes with some character moments left out, in the name of streamlining the story. I’m not convinced I like how the artist has portrayed Morgana in his Metaverse form either, at least so far.

Still, for what it is, this is actually an excellent adaptation of an excellent game. The streamlining of the story does work far more often than not, with scenes added to to give more energy than many cutscenes do, with Akira’s Awakening of his Persona a case in point. I am genuinely astonished at how well the game translated to the manga, and it’s to Murasaki’s credit that they not only avoided messing up, but actually improved a couple of points.

Overall, this first volume of Persona 5’s manga adaptation, while lacking in a few regards, was a surprisingly brilliant work.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 3

How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom volume 2 by Dojyomaru.

The first volume of How a Realist Hero Rebuilt the Kingdom struck me as being a novel take on a genre oversaturated with entries. But can the second volume of this isekai series go from strength to strength? Let’s find out…

After being made the king of Elfrieden, Kazuya Souma’s reforms have brought the kingdom out of financial strife. But two of the influential dukes in charge of the nation’s armed forces intend to rebel, with the inscrutable Georg Carmine believing Kazuya to be an incompetent king, and the hot-headed Castor Vargas fearing what he thinks is Kazuya’s tyranny and believing Carmine to have good reason for rebelling. Aiding this rebellion is the brutal ruler of the Principality of Amidonia, Gaius VII, who intends to use this rebellion as a means of annexing the territory he believes to be rightfully his own. Kazuya has managed to rule by his wits, but can he win a war by them?

After the worldbuilding of the original novel, we’re dropped right into a war. It almost feels like it’s been hastily written, given how fast Kazuya is able to resolve it, even with his smarts. Plus, the twist around Georg does come almost out of nowhere, and I feel that he, along with Castor Vargas and his daughter Carla, have been wasted.

Still, for what it’s worth, this still remains a novel twist on the genre. While using one’s wits to fight is no rarity in the isekai genre, it feels like this series bothers to approach things more intelligently than the norm, and the politics involved have some verisimilitude. What’s more, the characters are, for the most part, quite interesting and entertaining, and it doesn’t fall into the trap of characters being ridiculously OP.

Overall, this volume, while not brilliant, was pretty damn good. I look forward to further volumes in the series…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 4

Persona 5 volume 2, by Hisato Murasaki, from the video game by Atlus.

The first volume of the Persona 5 manga was a promising one. But would the second volume continue the high standards? Or would it fall?

Determined to stop their rapist teacher Kamoshida from expelling them and harming anyone else, Akira Kurusu and Ryuji Sakamoto team up with Morgana to venture into Kamoshida’s Palace. Deep within this twisted mental world lies the core of Kamoshida’s warped desires, a Treasure that, when stolen, will cause Kamoshida to feel remorse. But complications arise when, in their attempt to steal the Treasure, they accidentally bring in Ann Takamaki, a fellow student, and one whom Kamoshida lusts for. And even when she Awakens to the power of a Persona, can they prevail against Kamoshida’s demonic Shadow?

Once more, this story isn’t without its faults. I feel some elements of the game’s story were too streamlined, with Kamoshida’s Palace feeling a mite rushed, and Shido’s brief scene being made even briefer than in the game. In addition, Morgana’s design, at least in the Metaverse, doesn’t quite feel right, losing some of his endearing nature.

Still, I have to admit, making Ann’s Awakening just prior to the clash with Kamoshida was one of the more inspired choices, and the ensuing fight is well-adapted. Indeed, the battles are portrayed with dynamic art that brings across the action well. Character design in general is close to that of the game, and while Morgana’s Metaverse form is a bit dodgy in terms of how its portrayed in the art, his form as a cat in reality has considerable character and personality.

Overall, while not truly stellar, this is a great adaptation of a great game. I hope it continues to be that way…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 5

Doctor Who: The Stones of Blood by David Fisher.

Back in the heyday of Doctor Who novelisations, Terrance Dicks was the one who novelised the majority of the stories. However, recently, a number of novelisations were re-written, so to speak, for the audiobooks, doubtless because of Dicks’ tendency towards beige prose. David Fisher, before he died, wrote new audiobooks of two of his Doctor Who stories, The Stones of Blood and The Androids of Tara, both of which were recently released in print rather than just in audio. But how well would the first of these fare?

The Nine Travellers, a mysterious stone circle in the British countryside, the site of an archaeological investigation by Professor Amelia Rumford and her assistant Vivian Fay, as well as a druidic revival group that seems to have undertaken animal sacrifices to the stones. Into this come the Doctor, Romana, and K9, seeking the next fragment of the Key to Time. But between fanatical would-be druids following the demands of an ancient goddess, the Cailleach, massive stones that drink blood, and the mysteries around Vivian, the Doctor, Romana and K9 have their work cut out for them…

Although Terrance Dicks was notorious for his beige prose, David Fisher’s isn’t much better. More recent novelisations have added some more complexity to the character or story, but I’m not seeing it here. Both Vivian and Rumford show some irritating mild misandry that I was sure wasn’t in the original show. In addition, I had my own issues with the original story when I watched it some time ago, with the move from the mystery around the Nine Travellers and Vivian to the Magaera too jarring a shift, feeling like two disparate stories bolted together.

Still, for what it is, the story is actually an enjoyable one. The concept of the Ogri is a good one, and Vivian, aka Cessair of Diplos, is a fun villain with an intriguing mystery around her. What’s more, we even get a little prologue that shows how she came to establish herself on Earth.

Overall, this was a decent enough novelisation, albeit one that lacked some much-needed substance. A shame, really…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 6

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 11 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

So, here I am with the latest manga volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? And at last, this volume is covering some pivotal events in the story. But would that be done well?

The Japanese schoolgirl-turned-spider monster is in a bind: her nemesis, Demon Lord Ariel, is out for her blood. And while she manages to narrowly avoid being annihilated by Ariel’s magic, she has another problem: the war she inadvertently started has taken a nasty turn, with one of her fellow reincarnations, Shouko Negishi, targeted for death. The good news is, the spider has now gained an evolution into an Arachne, boosting her abilities and giving her a human body to speak with. The bad news is, her opponent is Potimas, an arrogant, ruthless Elf with a robotic body unseen in this world, and who has the ability to cripple his opponents’ Skills…

I have to admit, there’s some small elements of this manga adaptation that I don’t think much of, specifically some character designs. Merazophis, for example, has a design once he is turned into a vampire that looks more intimidating than that he had in the light novels or anime, and really hampers empathy for him, and Gulie’s design, as noted in prior reviews, doesn’t do it for me. What’s more, the volume cuts off at a rather strange point, IMO, though that may be due to the way the chapters of the volumes are compiled.

That being said, this is one of the best volumes of the manga so far. So many key moments and revelations are revealed, and the manga not only does them right, but portrays them well. I actually like the redesign of Kumoko’s Arachne form, making the humanoid body a little more arthropoidal-looking compared to the light novel and anime, though retaining her adorable nature, and the confrontation between Kumoko and Potimas feels great. Hell, we even have more portrayal of Kumoko’s social anxieties.

Overall, this was a damn good volume of the manga adaptation of this series. Time will tell if it continues to be good…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 7

Reincarnated as a Sword volume 1 by Yuu Tanaka.

One of the latest isekai book series to be adapted into an anime series is Reincarnated as a Sword. It was because of this that I decided to give the novels a go. But in an overpopulated genre, can this book stand out?

A young Japanese man is killed by a limo driven by a careless driver, and wakes up, reincarnated as a living sword. Unable to remember his name, he begins getting stronger, only to be trapped thanks to his carelessness. But fortune smiles upon him when a young catgirl slave, Fran, stumbles across him when she, her fellow slaves, and their merchants were set upon by a bear. Thus begins the misadventures of Fran and her new sword, now redubbed ‘Teacher’…

Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. This is filled with more than a few clichés of the genre, to say nothing of the fantasy cliches thrown in too. And, as is often the case with the initial volumes of manga or light novels, the plot here isn’t much to speak off, pushed to the side for what worldbuilding is made.

That being said, Teacher, as he is later named, is an entertaining character, and Fran is utterly adorable, albeit with some disturbing (but not overly so) violent tendencies. So too is their relationship, with Teacher acting as a surrogate father to Fran. In addition, we already have some enjoyable characters in Nell, Garrus and Donadrond.

Overall, while not brilliant, this was a decent start to this series. Maybe it’ll become better later on…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 8

The Rising of the Shield Hero manga volume 3 by Aiya Kyu, from the light novels by Aneko Yusagi.

Once more, I have come to the manga adaptation of The Rising of the Shield Hero. This volume begins an adaptation of the second light novel. But how would it fare?

Naofumi Iwatani and Raphtalia have affirmed their comradely bond, and now knowing he has a stalwart ally, Naofumi begins to lighten up. But the trials and travails of being a Cardinal Hero are never easy, especially when he hatches a Filolial chick. Becoming an impromptu parent once more is not easy, especially when he’s still one of the most despised figures in a fantasy world…and the bird monster turns out to have more surprises in store…

I honestly felt that the second volume of the novels was one of the weaker ones, focusing more on Naofumi’s mercantile misadventures and trying to raise Filo, as well as learning of the other Cardinal Heroes’ folly. This manga, sadly, reflects this, with a lack of real plot progression. Some parts are just glossed over, like the tension between Raphtalia and Filo during the Bioplant incident, the bandit attack on Hickwaal, and I feel it should have been made clearer where exactly Filo kicked Motoyasu.

Still, I have to say, Naofumi still looks more human and less monolithic than he does in the anime, and the expressions in the art, while cartoonish at times, still work well. What’s more, Filo and her interactions with others bring about a refreshing comedic element to the series, one that is much-needed. And we also have the main debut of the Rage Shield, which is actually one of the highlights of this volume.

Overall, while not great, this is a decent adaptation of the series. A shame it couldn’t be more…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 9

The World of Cyberpunk 2077, by Marcin Batylda.

While the Cyberpunk tabletop RPG has been around for some time, the franchise recently gained more notoriety. The Cyberpunk 2077 videogame had high expectations made of it, made as it was by CD Projekt Red of The Witcher fame and with Keanu Reeves playing Johnny Silverhand, but it tanked badly due to a multitude of bugs and other issues. But the patches it gained helped rehabilitate it, as did a recent anime series set prior to the game, Cyberpunk: Edgerunners. How well would this book examining the world of the game go?

Welcome to Night City, where dreams are made, or die fast or slow. Corporations hold all the power, while criminals roam the streets with impunity. Life is cheap, cybernetics and weapons are ubiquitous, and there are many dangers both offline and online. Welcome to the grim world of a different 2077…

I keep saying that books like this are a triumph of style over substance, and that’s certainly the case here. While there is certainly a lot more about the world of the original tabletop RPG as well as the videogame inspired by it that could be said, there was nothing. I feel like there could have been something about notorious figures like Johnny Silverhand, Adam Smasher, and Morgan Blackhand that could have been put in, but no, nothing of the sort.

Still, what is there is densely packed and well-presented. It almost feels like a world bible created for the videogame, with the full effect of the worldbuilding put on display here. Impressively, it’s written as if compiled from the articles of separate reporters and even a couple of characters from the game, and the tone of these characters is captured well, feeling distinct.

While not stellar, this book was pretty enjoyable. Honestly, if they put as much proportionate effort into the game in the first place as they did into the book, Cyberpunk 2077 wouldn’t have tanked as hard, I’m sure…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 10

Persona 5 volume 3, by Hisato Murasaki, from the video game by Atlus.

So, here I am, about to begin the third volume of the Persona 5 manga. But how well would this volume do? Let’s find out…

The Phantom Thieves are not sure how to proceed. A possible new target, artist Ichiryusai Madarame, appears to be nothing more than a benign old man, and his student, Yusuke Kitagawa, an eccentric whose obsession with Ann appears to be about art more than lust. But despite Yusuke’s refusal to believe his teacher and foster father could do any wrong, Akira and his friends travel into Madarame’s Palace to learn the truth. Madarame is little more than an unrepentant plagiarist who steals his students’ artwork and smears their reputations when they leave him. Yusuke may be soon forced to confront this truth about his teacher, but will he grow stronger for it?

Once more, this volume is not without its faults. The streamlining of certain scenes does mean that more than a few key character moments are left out or heavily abridged. In addition, I still think Morgana’s design in the Metaverse doesn’t feel quite right for the most part, though it does work during the final heist scene when lowered from a crane.

However, this volume still makes it where it counts. Yusuke’s attempt to blackmail Ann into posing nude for her is changed into something more like his socially-clueless self would do, and the impact of his Awakening his Persona is made at least as powerful, if not more so, than in the game. The action scenes are well done too, a good feat for an adaptation of a video game when trying to make it exciting in another medium.

Overall, this was a good instalment of this adaptation. I look forward to more of them…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 11

The Rise of the Dragon, by George RR Martin, Elio M Garcia, and Linda Antonsson.

Although Game of Thrones has ended, George RR Martin is still busy. Aside from adaptations of the Wild Cards books he curates, as well as worldbuilding for the Soulsborne game Elden Ring, he has helped shape a prequel series to Game of Thrones, House of the Dragon, itself inspired by a partial history of the Targaryen dynasty, Fire and Blood. But how well would The Rise of the Dragon, an adaptation of Fire and Blood in encyclopaedic form, fare?

The Targaryen dynasty stretched out over nearly three centuries of Westeros’ history, beginning with Aegon’s conquest. But the Targaryens’ rule has never been without strife. From the brutal Maegor the Cruel to the clash between rival claimants that became known as the Dance of Dragons, this examines the first half of the Targaryen dynasty’s time as the kings of Westeros…

In many regards, this book feels like an attempt to fuse The World of Ice and Fire and Fire and Blood together, and never quite succeeds in capturing the best qualities of either book. A lot of the details mentioned in those books are omitted here, even more than one would expect from an abridgement of either, and so has little new to offer. It also doesn’t have the air of the in-universe document that the prior two works have, which also detracts from it.

Still, the book is pretty good for what it is, with a quite interesting insight into the history of Westeros that neither the original A Song of Ice and Fire books or Game of Thrones offered. There’s no denying that the fictional history of Westeros is brought to life on the pages of this book. It’s also well-presented, with so many illustrations of the various events in the histories described.

Overall, this was a pretty damn good book. But despite that, it’s still nothing new to fans of the franchise…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 12

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime Manga volume 5 by Taiki Kawakami, from the light novels by Fuze.

Once more, I’ve read another volume of the That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime manga. This volume concludes the Orc Lord arc, but how well would it go? Let’s find out…

Despite having brought the Orc Lord to the brink of defeat, Rimuru Tempest’s fight to save the Great Jura Forest has encountered another roadblock. Gelmud, the Majin behind not only the Naming of the Orc Lord, but the destruction of the Kijin’s village, has arrived. But the Kijin’s attempt to seek vengeance gets forestalled when the Orc Lord eats Gelmud, kickstarting his ascension into the mighty Orc Disaster. Can anyone stop this force of destruction before it’s too late?

Honestly, this volume is pretty poor on plot, wrapping up the Orc Lord arc, which I feel has been stretched out over too many volumes in the manga. About half of it is finishing off the Orc Lord/Orc Disaster, and the other half is the aftermath. It just feels like poor pacing for this one.

Still, there’s some great moments. The Kijin attempt to take their revenge on Gelmud, a moment that doesn’t appear to be in the light novels or anime. In addition, Rimuru taking on Geld’s sins is a wonderful emotional moment, even if they do overdo it slightly on the Christian imagery.

Overall, this was a decent, but not great, adaptation of the series, albeit of one of the weaker arcs. Still, there’s more to come…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 13

RWBY: Roman Holiday by EC Myers, from a story by Kerry Shawcross and Eddy Rivas.

I have to admit, my interest in RWBY had waned considerably of late. However, I retained enough to consider giving this book, detailing the backstory of Roman Torchwick and Neopolitan a go. But would I be rewarded?

They couldn’t have come from more different walks of life. Roman Torchwick, a cocky young thief, abandoned by his mother, causing trouble in Mistral. Trivia Vanille, the daughter of a rich family that lacked in love, and whose imaginary friend, Neo, causes more trouble for her than her mutism. And yet, when events conspire to have them meet, it signals the birth of what could be a beautiful relationship…if two rival crime gangs and other forces don’t kill it before it starts…

I have to admit, RWBY hasn’t held my interest that much for some time, due to a bit of dissatisfaction with the direction the show was taking, something that a number of fans feel the same way. And certainly, explaining the backstory of these characters could easily have killed some of the mystique around them. And I think more could have been made of Roman’s backstory, prior to working with Lil’ Miss Malachite.

Still, I have to admit, this story was an excellent one for the most part, one that has you cheering for the good guys. Neo and Roman’s respective backstories make a marked and interesting contrast, with Neo’s past being the most interesting of the two. Seeing her develop from a lonely, abused child into the stylish and cocky illusion user RWBY fans know and love is a sight to behold.

Overall, while not perfect, this was a damn good story about the past of two of RWBY’s more interesting antagonists. A good way to pass the time…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 14

That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime manga volume 6 by Taiki Kawakami, from the light novels by Fuze.

So, now, I have come to the sixth volume of the manga of That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. This volume sees the debut of one of the more interesting characters in Milim Nava. But would this adaptation work out well?

Having defeated the Orc Lord, Rimuru has found himself at the helm of a nation of monsters. After getting that recognised by King Gazel Dwargo of the Kingdom of Dwargon, Rimuru could be forgiven that thinking his problems are now mostly about how to build and administer his fledgling nation. But he didn’t count on a number of Demon Lords taking an interest in the slayer of the Orc Lord. One of them is the oldest, most powerful, and yet most deceptively childlike of the Demon Lords: Milim Nava…

This volume does feel a little transitional to a degree, bridging the gap between story arcs, which does hamper things somewhat. And I’ve made my disquiet towards Milim Nava’s design plain previously. I honestly feel a bit more could’ve been added to this volume as well.

Still, Milim Nava’s character is as endearing as she was in other adaptations. And we finally get some insight into the workings of the Demon Lords, as well as Clayman, whose ambitions have shaped events so far. Plus, we see a few details of Rimuru’s nationbuilding that wasn’t in the anime, and the rest of it does well.

Overall, this was a good volume of this adaptation. I can’t wait for more…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 15

Earthly Delights by Kerry Greenwood.

Some time ago, I read one of the Phryne Fisher books by Australian author Kerry Greenwood. While interesting to some degree, I felt it didn’t do it for me. But she has written another series revolving around baker and unwilling investigator Corinna Chapman. How well would the first book in this franchise do?

Corinna Chapman was an accountant, before she decided baking was a more enjoyable pastime. Owning a bakery amongst a coterie of colourful characters can be a bit of a trial, but it gets worse when a threatening letter is sent to her and her friends, and she saves the life of an overdosing junkie. But these events are more related than one would think…

I’ll be perfectly honest, the plot proper was nothing to write home about. I find it hard to read mystery books at the best of times, and I didn’t quite catch everything that led to the culprit being fingered. The culprit is also one of the more disappointing characters, I have to say, with their motives being rather boring.

Still, this novel manages to be an immensely entertaining work. Greenwood populates this part of Melbourne with many weird and intriguing characters. Chapman’s first-person narration is also charming, showing that she is the reluctant heroine and very human, as well as making many a reference that will appeal to geeks everywhere.

Overall, this was an entertaining book, but not a great mystery story. A shame, that…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 16

Dune: The Graphic Novel, Book 2: Muad’Dib, adapted by Brain Herbert and Kevin J Anderson, from the novel by Frank Herbert.

The first volume of the Dune graphic novel was a good adaptation, but not quite as superlative as I had hoped. How well, then, would the second volume fare? Let’s find out…

Baron Harkonnen has crushed House Atreides, nearly exterminating them all. But Paul and Jessica have fled into the desert, aided and abetted not only by faithful retainer Duncan Idaho, but Liet-Kynes, the ecologist who was supposed to help the Baron and the Emperor wipe them out. As Paul and Jessica contemplate their fugitive lifestyle, seeming about to intersect with the Fremen, Baron Harkonnen has trouble consolidating his gains…

I’ll be honest, in some ways, this part was a disappointment. I really should have remembered that this part of the original book was a transitional one, so it’s more incident than plot. I’m not sure I like how Pardot Kynes’ speech to Liet is truncated, where he points out that Paul joining the Fremen could be disastrous. And some of the designs of the characters still don’t quite sit right with me.

Still, the fact remains that this is a good adaptation of the source material. What’s more, at times the artwork shines in really trippy ways, especially during the Water of Life scene when Jessica imbibes it, giving a needed surreal quality to the sequence. The action scenes and emotional scenes are also done well, staged with an eye to enhance the cinematic qualities of the original novel.

Overall, this was a fairly enjoyable adaptation of a great book. I just wish it was a bit better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 17

Overlord volume 14: The Witch of the Doomed Kingdom by Kugane Maruyama.

While the ninth volume of Overlord could have been considered the culmination of the story in some regards, it continued past this point. But even so, the 14th volume promised not the defeat of Re-Estize, but its annihilation. How well would this be handled?

An unexpected crisis has arisen. An unwitting pawn of Ainz Ooal Gown’s, Lord Phillip Montserrat, was intended to be the easily-controlled leader of a rebellion against Ainz Ooal Gown’s Nation of Darkness in order to facilitate a more peaceful takeover of Re-Estize. But Phillip’s stupidity leads him to going along with a plot to steal a food convoy from the Nation of Darkness. This sets off a war of annihilation, with Ainz intending to raze Re-Estize to the ground, and nobody will be able to stop him…

This volume marks yet another moral nadir for Ainz. It does get a bit hard to root for him, given that he commits genocide against an entire kingdom. Plus, it feels a bit oddly-paced, this story, and I feel more should have been made of the Platinum Dragon Lord and his comrade’s attempts to stymie Ainz and his army.

And yet, the series remains as compelling and entertaining as ever. Despite his new moral nadir, Ainz remains as interesting a character as before, and we finally get some insight into the Platinum Dragon Lord, who only made a brief appearance in the series prior. And as tragic as it is, the fall of Re-Estize marks a culmination of the story that still makes compulsive reading.

For those who are willing to stomach more than a little darkness, this volume of Overlord is a good one, though not the best of them. Here’s hoping the next volumes are better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 18

Demon Slayer: Kimetsu no Yaiba volume 1 by Koyoharu Gotouge.

One of the latest shounen manga crazes to come out of Japan is the series Demon Slayer. Not exactly the most original of titles, and yet, it’s resonated with many fans. But how would I enjoy it?

Tanjiro Kamado is a timid, but intelligent boy with a keen nose living in Taisho Era Japan. But his family is slaughtered by a Demon, and the only other survivor, his little sister Nezuko, is transforming into a Demon herself. When Demon Slayer Giyu Tomioka encounters them, his attempts to slay Nezuko are hampered by Tanjiro…and Nezuko seems to be resisting the worst instincts of Demons. Thus, he reluctantly sends them to Demon Slayer mentor Sakonji Urokodaki for Tanjiro to be trained…

I’ll be perfectly honest, none of this is really that original or new. Hell, this pretty much ticks a list of shounen manga tropes and cliches, and even that feels a bit rushed and not as entertaining. The treatment of Tanjiro seems unnecessarily harsh too, even if his decisions involving Nezuko are questionable.

Still, the series is not without its charm, and both Tanjiro and Nezuko are endearing. The action scenes are well-done as well, and certainly, the franchise has an undeniably interesting style. And it was still entertaining, which was what mattered.

I’m not wholly convinced that this is the next big thing at all. However, it was a decently entertaining, if unoriginal, story…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 19

Encyclopaedia Eorzea: The World of Final Fantasy XIV, by Banri Oda et al.

Final Fantasy remains one of my favourite franchises, and yet, I’ve never played the MMORPG instalments of the franchise for various reasons. Final Fantasy XIV was notorious for its original version being of poor quality. And yet, it redeemed itself with a revamping that has won back old fans and gained new ones. But how would this compilation of lore about the game go?

Hydaelyn has seen many eras come and go, and cultures and empires wax and wane. Many people walk across its many lands, and many myths and legends permeate it. This work, then, purports to unite as much knowledge on Hydaelyn, and in particular, the land of Eorzea, its peoples, history and politics…

To those unfamiliar with the franchise as a whole, let alone MMORPGs, reading this book is a daunting prospect, I am sure. There’s so much in here, many readers could potentially get lost. And that could potentially hobble it.

And yet, I personally was impressed. This book illustrates how complex and deep the worldbuilding of Final Fantasy XIV is, debatably more so than any other instalment in the franchise, and certainly on a par with the best in the genre. I enjoyed all the references to previous instalments in the series, and the book was gorgeously presented.

Overall, this book was absolutely brilliant. A wonderful illustration of the intense worldbuilding done for an MMORPG…

User Menu

Newsletter