Semi-Perpetual Book-Reading Blog, 2022

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 40

Mashle: Magic and Muscle volume 1, by Hajime Komoto.

The Harry Potter franchise has become one of the most famous and popular fantasy franchises in the world. So it’s hardly a surprise that there are series that are pastiches and parodies out there. Mashle certainly posits to be a somewhat strange take on a very familiar world, but would it be any good?

In a country where those born without magic are deported or murdered, Mash Burnedead is an anomaly. Adopted by a kindly old man living out in the woods, Mash has been engaged in a rigorous training routine to ensure he is strong enough to take on anyone wanting him dead. But exposure to a corrupt police officer leads Mash to being forced to attend Easton Magic Academy, to become a Divine Visionary. But can Mash do so without an ounce of magical power?

This is pretty much a blatant parody of the Potterverse, and not necessarily for the better. It feels like a Potterverse fanfic, and a fairly mediocre one at that. The artwork is also rather underwhelming for a manga, at times feeling very roughly drawn.

Yet this manga was entertaining enough. The author clearly has fun poking fun at many elements of the Potterverse, many of which deserved some parodying, and Mash’s tendency to brute-force his way through problems is reminiscent of similar gags in One-Punch Man. I just wish there was more to it.

Overall, Mashle was disappointing, but was still decently entertaining despite its mediocrity…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 41

Hidden Figures: The Untold Story of the African-American Women Who Helped Win the Space Race, by Margot Lee Shetterly.

Sometimes, history doesn’t acknowledge those who should have been acknowledged. In some cases, it is due to them being mundane, in others, it is history being written by the winners, and in yet other cases, xenophobia rears its ugly head. I had heard of the Hidden Figures film, so I thought, why not read the book it was based on?

The Space Race ended with NASA putting Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin on the Moon. But getting there, and indeed to all steps of the Space Race and the aeronautical engineering feats before then, required many calculations. These calculations, long before electronics were used, were the work of human computers, many of whom were female, and many of those were African-American. This, then, is the untold story of these unsung heroines, whose devotion to their work and their determination to make it through a prejudiced society paralleled the rise of the Civil Rights Movement…

I have to admit, I expected a little more of a story. Not that there isn’t one in this book, but it felt a touch dry in trying to bring the wonderful and yet confronting stories of these women to light. A little more could have been made to make the prose a little more palatable. Plus, reading about the prejudices in US society at the time is still uncomfortable to read, and I feel more could have been told of the story.

Yet this is still quite an enjoyable one. It’s a real eye-opener as to how many African-American women broke the mould of the time and provided excellent work using their intelligence, at a time when both misogyny and racism was rampant. And it was also interesting to see how it paralleled changing attitudes towards race as the decades went on, despite the more darker areas elucidated in this work and Lovecraft Country.

Overall, this was a good look at an unseen corner of history. It’s an acknowledgement long-awaited, in the end, of people who have done so much, for so little…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 42

Fist of the North Star volume 1, by Buronson.

There are many iconic manga and anime series from the 80s. One of the most iconic is Fist of the North Star, which could be best described as Mad Max with martial arts. But how would it fare nowadays?

In the 1990s, the world was consumed by nuclear war. Decades later, the survivors live in a harsh world, where brutal gangs and armies subjugate and exploit the populace. Yet there is at least one who would oppose them, the taciturn martial artist Kenshiro, master of the lethal Hokuto Shinken, the martial art also known as the Fist of the North Star. But even if he can fight off his foes, can he find who he is looking for in this wasteland?

To be perfectly honest, there’s no real plot, and it feels like any actual plot got killed off with Kenshiro’s love interest Yuria partway through this volume. It’s quite violent action that isn’t to everyone’s taste, which can basically be summed up as Kenshiro takes down violent goons in a post-apocalyptic world, rinse and repeat. A good series this does not make.

This isn’t to say it’s all bad. Kenshiro, despite his brutality towards his enemies, seems to be a decent person, and his techniques are all interesting. And there’s something satisfying and cathartic about watching the bad guys explode messily like squeezed pimples. Unfortunately, that seems like there’s all there is to it.

Fist of the North Star’s first volume was entertaining, true, but it’s not at all substantial. A shame, that…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 43

Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Visual Dictionary, by Michael Witwer.

I came to the Legend of Drizzt relatively late in life, but I had to admit, this fantasy series set in the Forgotten Realms arm of the Dungeons & Dragons franchise entranced me. So, naturally, when a visual dictionary of this series came along, I wanted to read it. But would it prove to be a good read?

Drizzt Do’urden, the unlikely Udadrow hero from Menzoberranzan, has led a storied life, filled with many friends and foes alike. One of the legendary Companions of the Hall, his dark heritage has nonetheless not stopped from becoming a hero. This book, then, is about his life, his times, and those he has known…

I’ll be perfectly honest, I was disappointed somewhat. I feel that more could have been made about Drizzt’s adventures and those around him. Instead, we got padding of lore from the wider franchise, stuff that shouldn’t really be that necessary to anyone with at least a passing interest in the franchise. Meanwhile, Drizzt’s adventures and those of his friends were glossed over to some degree.

That being said, this book wasn’t that bad. It’s well-presented, and there’s still quite a good amount of information, particularly for the neophyte to the series. And not all of the wider lore of the franchise given is padding. Some of it works well to give context to Drizzt’s adventures.

Overall, this book, while a little disappointing and filled with some padding with unnecessary lore from the wider franchise, is nonetheless a good celebration of Drizzt Do’urden and his adventures. A shame it wasn’t more, though…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 44

Elden Ring: The Road to the Erdtree volume 1, by Nikiichi Tobita.

Elden Ring, when it released last year, became one of the most acclaimed video games of that year, and indeed, of all time. Then again, despite its punishing difficulty, it had a deep, rich, if vague lore (partly written by George RR Martin, at least for the backstory), beautiful graphics, and exciting gameplay. So when I heard there was an official parody manga floating around, I had to wonder, was it as golden as the Elden Ring itself? Or should it be chucked into a pool of Scarlet Rot?

Long ago, the Elden Ring, the fundamental force of the Lands Between and its Golden Order, was shattered. Queen Marika, the chief of the gods of the Lands Between, disappeared, and her progeny warred for fragments of the Elden Ring. Now, centuries later, the Tarnished, outcasts of the Golden Order, have been summoned to return, to seek the fragments of the Elden Ring, and repair it anew. Melina, a mysterious spirit, has found herself drawn unwittingly to a most extraordinary Tarnished, later dubbed Aseo. Aseo has no memory, no wits, no strength, and certainly no pants. And yet, he may be the best hope these blighted lands may have. Marika help them all…

I’ll be perfectly honest, quite a few times, the humour gets more than a little cringey. The running gag of Aseo having the Flasks stuck to his derriere got old the first time it was used. And there’s also the fact that a lot of the humour would go over the heads of non-fans of the game. Not to mention there are times when the art style gets a bit overly creepy.

Yet for all that, I found myself enjoying this lovely slice of cracky humour. A highlight was Blaidd and Darriwil engaging in what is basically a simping battle towards Ranni, and the thought of Morgott/Margit being helpful was both hilarious and heartwarming. Plus, the artwork works surprisingly well with the comedy, more often than not.

Overall, while there were some bum notes, this first volume of an Elden Ring parody manga was enjoyable. Hopefully, the next volume will be even better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 45

The Art and Making of Hogwarts Legacy, by Jody Revenson and Michael Owen.

Video game adaptations of the Potterverse have been spotty at times. And yet, earlier this year, in spite of the controversy around JK Rowling, a new game, Hogwarts Legacy, was released. The game itself was excellent, but how would a making-of book fare?

Set a century before the Harry Potter books proper, Hogwarts Legacy promised to be a game allowing players to have their own story in and around Hogwarts. This, then, is the story of how such a game was created. From wondrous creatures to wizards both dark and light, and locals in and around Hogwarts, we see the creative process and decisions being made for this game…

As is too often the case with books like these, this book was more style than substance. There could have been a little bit more in-depth look at the design and writing process, and how this version of Victorian Hogwarts and its environs was created. Instead, having played some of the game myself, I found this book somewhat underwhelming and disappointing.

Still, this book is well-presented, as is often the case with books like this. There’s quite a few lovely images showing concept art as well as some CGI imagery. And there’s still plenty of anecdotes about the production of the game that offer a good insight into said creation.

While not bad, this making-of book was somewhat disappointing in the lack of realised potential. A shame, that…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 46

Batman ‘89, by Sam Hamm.

The 1989 Tim Burton Batman film and its sequel, Batman Returns, proved to be a turning point in comic book films. Dark and elegant, they also combined the more operatic elements of the comic books with a grounded nature. So when a continuation of these two films, ignoring the Schumacher films, came out, well, I thought I’d give it a go…

Batman’s fight against the criminal element of Gotham continues, but his reputation is still in tatters, not helped by thugs donning his looks and going to war against what they believe to be the criminal element. What’s worse is that District Attorney Harvey Dent, desperate to get a handle on Gotham’s crime, has decided to take on Batman himself. Meanwhile, a new vigilante, Winston Drake, is making his own moves against crime, in a crusade that may prove to be better than Batman’s. But when tragedy befalls Dent, he will start down a dark path, one that will change Gotham forever…

I’ll be perfectly honest, this comic doesn’t quite feel the same way as the Tim Burton Batman films does. There’s not enough of the humour and macabre elegance those films were noted for, and so it doesn’t feel like a natural evolution. Plus, the way some characters were treated (like Catwoman) feel a bit like a betrayal of their characters.

Yet on the whole, Sam Hamm (who actually penned the screenplay of the first film and devised at least part of the story of Batman Returns) does a damn good job. We get to see how Billy Dee Williams’ take on Harvey Dent may have become Two-Face, as well as a black Robin in Winston Drake. We have a deconstruction of Batman’s mission, but with some hope for the future coming along.

Overall, this graphic novel was a good take on what might have been for the Batman films had Burton not left. Not perfect by any means, but a damn good story regardless…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 47

Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World volume 1, by Shinta Fuji.

I enjoy works that subvert the tropes and trappings of prior works. So hearing about Apparently, Disillusioned Adventurers Will Save the World intrigued me. But would my curiosity be rewarded?

A quartet of strangers meet in a bar in an adventurers’ guild, each seeking solace for their problems. Nick, kicked out of his party after accusations of theft, when in reality, he was too competent. Tiana, a prodigy mage betrayed by her fiancée and noble family. Zem, a priest wrongly accused of seducing a child. And Karan, a Dragonian warrior left for dead by her former party. This ragtag group of outcasts will form an unlikely bond, but will it be enough to save their souls?

As is often the case with initial books in series like this, the first volume doesn’t have much plot, beyond setting up the characters and future storylines. And in some ways, it feels like a ripoff of similar stories, albeit in the isekai genre, like Rising of the Shield Hero. That, and a couple of the vices of the main characters seem a touch on the nose.

Yet for all that, the main characters are actually quite sympathetic, charming and endearing despite their past traumas and vices. There’s also plenty of decent humour, with very little of the cringey sexual humour that plagues a lot of these Japanese novels. What’s more, there’s an unexpected addition of a Fusion-like power from Dragonball Z that, while a bit naff, is still novel in fantasy of this type anyway.

Overall, while lacking in plot, this book more than made up for it in character. I look forward to future volumes…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
So, here we go again, starting off another book-reading binge...

BOOK 48

Overlord volumes 15 & 16: The Half-Elf Demigod by Kugane Maruyama.

At long last, the next story arc of Overlord has arrived. But how would these, the latest volumes of this dark isekai series, fare? Let’s find out…

Worn out after his annihilation of the Re-Estize Kingdom, Ainz Ooal Gown decides he needs a break. Curious about the Elf Country, he decides to take Aura and Mare, hoping to have them make friends and grow as people. But Elf Country is a warzone, with the Slane Theocracy’s forces fighting against the forces fielded by the vile and hedonistic Elf King, Decem Hougan. And the Theocracy are about to field their trump card, the Half-Elven warrior Antilene Heran Fouche, aka No-Death, No-Life, a woman seeking revenge on Decem Hougan for what he did to her mother…

For a story arc played out over two volumes, the plot feels a bit thin on the ground, and I felt, with some editing, could have been done over a single volume. The discussion of Dark Elf politics gets dismissed quickly in order for Ainz to go after the Elf King. And I feel a bit of a disservice was done to Antilene and Decem Hougan too.

Still, the Overlord series’ signature mixture of dark fantasy and humour is still present. We even get a battle, after some time, where Ainz actually has to make an effort, fighting against Decem Hougan. The fact that he also attacks Decem to protect Aura and Mare show that there’s still some humanity left in Ainz. And No-Death, No-Life finally gets some proper characterisation.

Overall, while it could have been better, these volumes of Overlord were very enjoyable. Hopefully, that will continue…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 49

Handyman Saitou in Another World volume 1, by Kazutomo Ichitomo.

Yet another isekai series I had heard of was Handyman Saitou in Another World. I thought it was a light novel, but was surprised to find it was a manga. But how would this fare?

Meet Saitou, a Japanese handyman who, despite his intelligence, is stuck in a dead-end job of being a handyman, dealing with a brutal boss and ungrateful customers. Yet a fatal encounter with a truck leads him to be transported to another world. And his skills stand in him good stead with an adventurer party. But between proud warrior Raelza, greedy fairy Lanfanpan, and a senile and lecherous wizard called Morlock, has Saitou got a chance of standing out in his party?

Well, there’s not really any plot whatsoever. Instead, it’s a series of comedy sketches, a sort of bizarre take on slice-of-life along with satirising elements of fantasy worlds and the isekai genre. And some of the gags are too cheap or too cringy, relying on cheap sexual comedy rather than just satire.

Yet the comic strips have some rather pointed remarks to make about fantasy tropes, and it also has a lot of heart. Saitou, despite his skills being undervalued in our world, turns out to be a great help in a fantasy world without being overpowered like a lot of isekai protagonists end up being. And there’s some genuinely funny gags.

Overall, while severely lacking in plot and with a few too many cringey jokes. Handyman Saitou in Another World does manage to be at least somewhat entertaining, and has a good heart. A shame it wasn’t a little better…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 50

Doctor Who: Planet of the Ood by Keith Temple.

Yet another swathe of novelisations from the new series of Doctor Who have been released. The first I managed to obtain was Planet of the Ood. How would the novelisation compare to the televised story?

In the 42nd Century, the Ood are the ubiquitous servants of humanity. But there is a dark secret behind their servitude. The Doctor has taken Donna to the Ood homeworld, the Ood-Sphere, and they soon realise something is very wrong. Ood are rebelling, even descending into rabid rages, and the vicious CEO of Ood Operations, Klineman Halpern, intends to put an end to these incidents. Can the Doctor and Donna get to the bottom of this, and right a centuries-old wrong?

Adapting a single fifty-minute episode means that there isn’t much in the way of plot to elaborate on. Indeed, I thought there were a few other ways that could have been used to great effect, but weren’t. Things like more on Dr Ryder’s true allegiances being foreshadowed a bit more, more background on Solana and Kess, and so on.

Still, this novel expands in many ways both expected and unexpected. A few scenes I know where removed from the original episode (thanks to being shown as special features on the DVD) are included, like a scene showing Halpern’s petty cruelty towards humans as well as Ood. More is made of the Ood’s own POV during many scenes, and we also have a surprising link to Whoniverse continuity to explain why the Ood were adopted as servants (supposedly as a result of the events of The Robots of Death).

Overall, this was an excellent novelisation of this story. Not quite perfect, but it still gets close…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 51

Deadpool Samurai volume 1, by Sanshiro Kasama.

I have to admit, I’ve enjoyed the character of Deadpool for some time. So, when I stumbled across this manga spinoff, I felt like it was worth a go. But was it, in the end?

Deadpool, the Merc with a Mouth, has been retained by the Avengers to head to Japan and form a new unit. Of course, recruiting members with their own quirks, like the belligerent Sakura Spider, or an idol bonded with a symbiote, is part of the problem. Then again, so too are familiar foes like Loki and HYDRA, as well as less familiar ones. But Deadpool is ready, with his sword, his ability to break the fourth wall, and the fact that he just can’t shut up…

Now, as mentioned in prior reviews, initial manga volumes like this often don’t have much in the way of plot, and this one is little exception. What’s more, I feel the character of Sakura Spider is an annoying tsundere, a character archetype I generally don’t like. And the melding between shounen manga story styles and the dark comedy of Deadpool can be a little jarring at times, as is Loki basically acting as a yandere towards Deadpool.

Still, much of the draw of such a series would be Deadpool’s fourth wall-breaking humour as well as the oodles of dark comedy. Certainly, the way Deadpool himself takes the mickey out of shounen manga tropes and characters is hilarious. And I have to admit, not only were the cameos of some other Marvel characters well done, but I also enjoyed the idol character of Neiro and ‘Kage’, the symbiote she is bound to.

Overall, while thin on plot and with a few dodgy elements, this Marvel manga spinoff was hilarious and enjoyable. Maybe more of it may be a good thing…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 52

Skeleton Knight in Another World volume 2, by Ennki Hakari.

So, here I am, returning to Skeleton Knight in Another World, in the light novels at least. But how would they fare? Let’s find out…

Having made an alliance, Arc, a video game player now transported to a fantasy world in his skeletal avatar, and Ariane, a Dark Elf seeking out her enslaved people, head to her home. Soon, they embark on a new expedition to save enslaved Elves. In doing so, Arc inadvertently foils a plot to assassinate Princess Yuriarna of the Rhoden Kingdom. But when he and Ariane are approached by Chiyome, the young Beastgirl ninja he encountered on an earlier raid, things are about to get even more complicated…

I admit, there’s not much to the plot here, beyond Arc interfering inadvertently in the fate of the lands he is in. And there’s not that much to truly distinguish it from the usual clichés of an isekai power trip. The same fantasy and overpowered protagonist tropes being shovelled in with gleeful abandon.

Yet despite that, this series has its charms. Arc’s straightforward good nature is a refreshing change from the darker isekai heroes, and as his spar with Ariane’s mother shows, just because he is powerful doesn’t mean he is invincible, especially with his lack of skills. Ariane is a delight, as is Chiyome. And Arc inadvertently causing waves despite his desire to stay below the radar is hilarious and heartening.

Overall, this was an entertaining book, if more than a little thin on plot. A shame, that…

Last edited:

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 53

So I’m a Spider, So What? manga volume 12 by Asahiro Kakashi, from the light novels by Okina Baba.

So, here I am, reading the next manga volume of So I’m a Spider, So What? But after reaching a turning point in the original story, would it maintain a high standard? Let’s find out…

After the clash with Potimas has ended, the former schoolgirl-turned-Arachne monster known as ‘White’ has teamed up with Demon Lord Ariel, as well as the infant vampire Sophia and her butler-turned fledgling Merazophis. The trials and travails of travelling in such a motley group are bad enough, especially with White’s lack of communication skills. But when Güliedistodiez arrives with shocking news, White will have to clean up the mess she made…in the form of her parallel minds, who have decided to wipe out humanity…

The volume is a bit short to have any real appreciable story. In addition, I’ve made my feelings about the designs of certain characters clear already, with them not feeling right. In other words, something of a letdown after the high-water mark of the prior volume.

And yet, this volume is still pretty good. It clarifies some elements of the original novel that weren’t as clear, and there’s some wonderful moments portrayed here, albeit in a dark way at times. The artwork is also quite good for the most part, showing things in both comical and disturbing manners.

Overall, this was a good adaptation of one of my favourite novel series. A shame it wasn’t better, though…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 54

Final Fantasy XV Official Works, by Square Enix.

I have to admit, I felt some trepidation at playing Final Fantasy XV, as the last non-MMORPG instalment of the franchise I had played, the thirteenth game, alienated me. But I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the story and gameplay. So, of course, I would read the companion book about its story and creation…

Final Fantasy XV is the story of Noctis ‘Noct’ Lucis Caelum, Crown Prince of Lucis, and his adventures with his three friends and sworn shields as he puts the world of Eos to rights and stymies the ambitions of the Niflheim Empire. This book is about their story, the rich characters that populate Eos, and the creation of the game they star in. From concept art to interviews, this book details the genesis of the game and its DLC and offshoots…

As I have often stated before, books like this are triumphs of style over substance. Certainly, I feel that a good chunk that dealt only with concept art could have been abbreviated somewhat, and more about the creation process outside of interviews with the staff thrown in. That, and more character and plot analysis.

Still, what is there is excellent. The book is very well-presented, as I have come to expect from making-of books of this stripe. What is there of the story and character analysis is excellent, showcasing the worldbuilding that went into this game. In addition, the interviews are quite insightful.

Overall, this was a damned good book. I wish it had a touch more substance to it, but otherwise, it was a good read…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 55

One Piece East Blue 7-8-9 by Eiichiro Oda.

It’s been years since I bothered to read One Piece. In fact, I stopped reading after the first six volumes. But with the live action adaptation on its way, I thought it was past time that I tried to get back to this bizarre fantasy pirate series. But would absence make the heart fonder?

At the restaurant ship Baratie, the fight against Don Krieg and his crew escalates even further, with Krieg and his crew willing to use every dirty trick in the book against the Baratie’s crew, and its main defenders, Luffy and Sanji. And even if Luffy and Sanji prevail, they still have to deal with Nami stealing their ship and fleeing. The truth behind Nami’s mission will come out, and it’s tied to the cruel Fishman pirate Arlong…

I have to admit, One Piece was one of my least favourite manga series. Part of the reason is that Monkey D Luffy, the main character, has an IQ below room temperature. Another part is how bloody bizarre the series is. Plus, I feel the fight against Krieg and his minions is drawn out way too much.

Yet it feels like this series is truly beginning to hit its stride with these volumes. The emotions involved in the flashbacks to Sanji and Nami’s past are palpable, and the point where Nami finally gives in and accepts Luffy’s help is wonderfully charged with feelings. And many of the characters are larger than life and easy to love, or to love to hate.

Overall, this volume improved my impression of One Piece. Let’s hope that continues from now on…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 56

Fox Tossing, Octopus Wrestling, and Other Forgotten Sports: The Most Dangerous and Bizarre Sports in History by Edward Brooke-Hitching.

Edward Brooke-Hitching has written a number of books on various esoteric matters, befitting someone who has worked as one of QI’s researchers or ‘Elves’. So when I heard about this book, I thought it’d be worth my while. But would that be the case?

Many sports have come and gone over the millennia, waxing and waning in popularity. Some have stood the test of time, while others, for obvious and not-so-obvious reasons, have fallen into obscurity or infamy. This book, then, tells the tale of these sports, forgotten or banned, and why people played them, and why they stopped.

I have to admit, this book has the opposite problem to Brooke-Hitching’s previous books that I have read. I feel it could have been presented in a similar manner to The Phantom Atlas and its ilk. In addition, it’s rather depressing how many of the so-called sports are blood sports involving animal cruelty, and I also feel some other interesting entries could have been elaborated on a little more.

Yet for all this, these are enjoyable anecdotes related well for the most part. Some of the sports are fascinating, either in a historical, comedic (often darkly so), or macabre context. This feels almost like a companion book to QI, more so than many of Brooke-Hitching’s prior works, and this is definitely a good thing.

Overall, this was an enjoyable, if a bit uneven and at times grotesque, look at sports of yesteryear. I just wish it was a little more than it turned out to be…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 57

One Piece East Blue 10-11-12 by Eiichiro Oda.

Once more, I’ve come back to One Piece. The previous omnibus volume actually marked a high mark for the series. Would this volume continue that trend?

Luffy and his crew have vowed to defeat the vicious Fishman Pirate Arlong and end his reign of terror over Nami’s hometown. But Arlong is not one of the most feared pirates for nothing. And even if Luffy wins the battle for Nami’s soul, Roguetown, the town where Gold Roger was executed, awaits, as do the terrors of the Grand Line, the bizarre ocean Luffy intends to sail in search of the One Piece…

As stated before, this series is quite flawed. It’s got a rather bizarre and comic bent, and its main character Luffy is abysmally stupid, a distillation of the worst traits wrongly valued in a shounen manga character. And the fight with Arlong seems too drawn-out, even for such a plot-vital battle.

And yet, many of the emotional points are spot-on, like Luffy, upon realising what Nami truly went through, demolishing the cartography room she was forced to slave away in by Arlong, or Luffy’s near-execution by Buggy at Roguetown. The departure of Luffy and his crew from the same promises much too, as does the introduction of the ruthless Baroque Works organisation.

Overall, this was a pretty good omnibus volume, and one that has rekindled my interest in One Piece. Time will tell if that interest is sustained…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 58

Doctor Who: Warriors’ Gate and Beyond by Stephen Gallagher.

One of the very first Doctor Who novelisations I had read was Warriors’ Gate by John Lydecker, the pseudonym of the original writer, Stephen Gallagher. The surreal story did me no favours, even if the original televised story was even harder to follow in some regards. Yet when I heard a revised and expanded novelisation was being published (based on an audiobook take on his original intention for the novelisation), accompanied by a pair of related stories, I thought, why not?

Trying to exit E-Space, the Doctor, Romana, Adric and K9 are desperate to try anything. So is the crew of a stranded slave-smuggling vessel, whose shackled navigator, the Tharil Biroc, flees and hijacks the TARDIS. Both craft are stranded in a mysterious featureless void, the only features being an ancient stone gateway. This adventure marks the turning point in Romana’s life, one that will continue to echo through time and space, and it all starts here…

I’ll be perfectly honest, in many regards, the expanded novelisation doesn’t seem to hold a candle to the original. One part, for example, was elucidating more on the Tharils’ own status as slavers themselves before they became enslaved, and Biroc seems to be more apathetic than he does in the original show and novel. I also feel it takes too long for Romana to get involved, and the two stories appended after the main novel, The Kairos Ring and The Little Book of Fate, while not actually bad, don’t add that much in my opinion.

That being said, there’s still much to commend the book. The story is far less surreal and seems to have a far more coherent plot now, and that helps improve the experience. Lazlo even has some more characterisation, whereas he had less in the novel, and almost none in the TV story. There’s even a fitting little coda to the fates of the slaver crew that, while a touch nonsensical, works thematically well. And the concept of the Sluagh in The Kairos Ring is a suitably chilling one, as is their leader.

Overall, this was a fairly fresh take on a familiar story, with enough differences in it for it to appeal to any Whovian…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 59

One Piece Baroque Works 13-14-15 by Eiichiro Oda.

So, I’ve begun to read One Piece again, after a long hiatus. The previous two omnibus volumes were quite excellent. But would the continuation be as good?

On Whiskey Peak, most of the Straw Hat pirates are insensate from drugs given to them by the vicious bounty hunters of Baroque Works, leaving Zolo to fight alone. But even as the clash draws to a close, a shocking new revelation is made: that the mysterious Miss Wednesday is not only Princess Vivi of the distant nation of Alabasta, but she has been targeted for death by Baroque Works’ ruthless leader. Her crime? Knowing that Baroque Works is led by Crocodile, one of the few pirate leaders sanctioned by the World Government…and that he is responsible for the civil war embroiling her country. To save her country, Luffy and his allies will set sail to Alabasta, but with Baroque Works’ elite hitmen targeting them, can they survive?

I have to admit, despite the highs of the past two omnibus volumes, this set was something of a letdown. Luffy’s sheer stupidity rears its head more than once, with his picking a fight with Zolo being the peak of his idiocy so far. And the plot has started to go downhill, even with a promising arc of dealing with Crocodile, with Vivi’s heel-face turn feeling a touch sudden.

Yet the series still retains enough entertainment value to retain my interest. Eiichiro Oda is to be commended for thinking up a variety of weird and wonderful powers, and powers that are used in creative ways. What’s more, the beginning of the Drum Island arc is promising enough. Vivi, once you get over the sudden nature of her heel-face turn, is an interesting, if temporary, addition to the crew, and we have an unnerving but intriguing debut of future regular Nico Robin under the title of Miss All Sunday.

Overall, while declining in quality compared to the last two omnibus volumes, this volume nonetheless kept my interest enough. I just hope it picks up again…

***½

User Menu

Newsletter