The Quatermass Perpetual Book-Reading Blog

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 154

Delicious in Dungeon volume 1, by Ryoko Kui.

While I’m not a fan of cooking shows in general, I have to admit to enjoying those by Heston Blumenthal. And I wonder what he’d make of a fantasy setting and its strange foodstuffs, including monsters? Well, in a perverse way, that question is answered by the manga series Delicious in Dungeon

Deep beneath a once-sleepy village rests a vast underground dungeon, one that, supposedly, was once a castle that was enchanted by a malevolent sorcerer. Laios and his group of adventurers end up being sent out of the dungeon by his sister Falin to save them from a vicious dragon, a dragon that has also eaten her. Now, Laios’ group lacks equipment, supplies, and money to head down to the dungeon to try and resurrect her before her body is digested, and two of his comrades have abandoned his group. But he has a plan, one that seems insane to his remaining comrades, elven mage Marcille and half-foot rogue Chilchuck: save expenses on food supplies by eating monsters in the dungeon. But it’s not as insane as it seems, and accompanied by eccentric dwarf Senshi, the quartet delve into the dungeon once more…

Okay, bad stuff first. There isn’t really a plot in the first place, beyond ‘save the girl and eat monsters along the way’. Plus, some of the humour falls flat, and the art style takes some getting used to for a manga. And the character of Marcille seems a bit too shrill and contrarian most of the time.

That being said, this manga already scores highly just on the sheer novelty and hilarity of the premise alone. And most of the comedy is well done, as is the thought that went into how one would cook certain monsters, or even the biology of certain monsters, like animated armour. And save for Marcille, the various characters are enjoyable.

The first volume of Delicious in Dungeon was an entertaining romp. Novel and entertaining and funny, most of the time, but somewhat thin on plot…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 155

Final Fantasy Ultimania Archive: Volume 2, by Akira Yamashita et al.

It seems to be the time where I’m reading making-of books for video games. Having read one such book for Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I now come to the second volume of the Final Fantasy Ultimania books. But how would I enjoy this?

The second volume of the Final Fantasy Ultimania Guide is a compendium detailing the story, characters, and creation of the Playstation era Final Fantasy games. From the quest to stop Sephiroth from the seventh game to Zidane and companies’ travels in the ninth, this book has a vast array of information presented here. Not to mention interviews with the creators, as well as behind the scenes material offering an insight into the series…

Okay, I admittedly copied and pasted a lot of the above from the review of the original to save time and effort. To be honest, a lot of this book is like the previous volume, being more of the same, including the emphasis on style over substance. The game-to-page ratio doesn’t improve things that much. There’s probably little new here to satisfy the long-term Final Fantasy fan.

And yet, surprisingly, there is some new stuff. Some surprising insight into how different the development of the seventh game could have been is one example, as is some insight into some character interactions that I personally missed while playing the games. The book itself is very well-presented, and there is quite a bit of information packed into these pages.

Overall, while not really as much of an improvement as I had hoped, this volume of the Final Fantasy Ultimania was enjoyable.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Okay, so, due to the old forums being locked, I was unable to post the next three reviews. So, I'm posting these three to catch up...

BOOK 156

Homestuck Book 2: Act 3 & Intermission, by Andrew Hussie.

So, once more, I come to the print volumes of Homestuck. I’ve been making my way through the hardcopy versions of the famous webcomic. But how would this continuation hold up?

As Jon, Dave and Rose deal with their trials and travails while playing SBURB, the fourth member of their group, Jade Harley, is involved in shenanigans of her own, shenanigans that seem playful, but due to her visions of the future, have more relevance than on first glance. But all four are also being harassed by online trolls, trolls that may be more than just internet bullies. And far in the future, the mysterious Exiles go through trials of their own…

Sadly, the plot, while thickening, remains as obscure and thin as it was previously, and also doesn’t seem to be going anywhere much, save for planting seeds of foreshadowing that won’t pay off until much later. The humour, much of which does miss the mark, dominates the story over any real plot. In addition, something is indeed still lost from this story in print format, given how far Andrew Hussie pushed the medium of the webcomic with animations and Flash games.

And yet, for all that, it’s still an enjoyable comic. Andrew Hussie’s annotations show the ridiculous amount of work he put in, as well as foreshadowing future events (and sometimes lamenting what he messed up). The story is still engrossing despite the lack of plot, and the foreshadowing helps with that. Even the Interlude, Don’t Bleed on the Suits, is funny and despite its apparently tangential relation to the plot, also foreshadows much.

While not stellar or as good as it could be, this volume of the Homestuck print editions was enjoyable. Here’s hoping the next volume takes it up a notch…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 157

Tokyo Ghoul: Past, by Shin Towada, based on the manga by Sui Ishida.

Tokyo Ghoul was one of those manga series that proved to be a very pleasant surprise for me. Although a horror manga and thus not my usual cup of tea, the memorable characters and deep themes helped hook me in. So, I decided to look into Tokyo Ghoul: Past, a short story anthology that examines the past of the various characters in the series…

Tokyo may be infested by Ghouls, a human subspecies that feeds on the flesh of humans, but it’s still filled with life and incidents. And there are many interesting things in the pasts of the various characters, Ghouls or human. There’s the moment Ken and Hide’s friendship was solidified when Ken’s callous aunt does him harm, Akira Mado’s first proper case working alongside her father, and the moment Touka became more interested in pretending to be human, much to her younger brother’s chagrin…

Sadly, I think the anthology aspect of this work works against it. The stories are fairly short, and many, I feel, could have been developed more. Many also seem to be rather irrelevant in terms of character development, especially Touka and Koma’s respective chapters. It just feels insubstantial, like there’s a lot of wasted potential.

However, there’s some enjoyable stories. Akira Mado’s story is particularly enjoyable as it offers insight into both her character and that of her father, the deranged Kureo. Ken’s chapter, while distressing given his aunt’s callous nature, shows just why he is such great friends with Hide, while Kimi’s chapter is a nice, heartwarming one showing how her relationship with Nishiki Nishio saved her from herself.

While not as great as I had hoped, Tokyo Ghoul: Past was enjoyable enough. But then again, I much prefer the manga series proper…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 158

Fate/Zero volume 6, by Shinjiro, based on the novels by Gen Urobochi and the Fate/Stay Night franchise by Type-Moon.

After quite a bit of delay, I’ve finally gotten around to reading the sixth volume of the manga adaptation of Fate/Zero. This adaptation has thrilled me with its brilliance, but disgusted me with some of the extremes of violence that it puts into it. So, how would this volume fare?

Waver and Iskandar discover the grotesque lair of Caster, only to discover another secret: that Assassin still lives. Leaving, and putting paid to Caster’s lair in the process, Iskandar decides to hold a battle of sorts with his fellow kings amongst the Servants: Archer and Arturia. But not a battle of swords and weapons, but of words and wine, a clash of ideologies in which Arturia will find herself coming up short. But even as she struggles with a wounded ideal, Arturia and the others have to contend with Assassin…

Once more, there’s quite a bit that will put off the average reader, as we’re treated rather graphically to Caster and Ryuunosuke’s ‘artwork’ once more. And while I have seen Iskandar’s tirade against Arturia’s form of kingship before, this version is even harsher, and frankly does not endear me to his character at all. And the Reality Marble lacks some of the visual splendour it had in the anime, as is Rin’s adventure in tracking down Ryuunosuke.

That being said, the story is still very enjoyable, with some very good themes explored, and some better insight into Kariya, Aoi and Tokiomi’s characters, to say little of Waver and Iskandar. And the battle between Iskandar’s forces and the multiple Assassins is enjoyable, though not as spectacular as in the anime, bluntly. The story’s gone back to somewhat deeper themes, which is always welcome for the most part, even with the spectacular battles between Servants.

Overall, this volume of Fate/Zero was enjoyable, some parts marring it notwithstanding.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 159

Overlord volume 9: The Caster of Destruction, by Kugane Maruyama.

At last, I get the ninth volume of Overlord, which ends something of a story arc for this light novel series, as well as being the latest novel adapted into the anime, as of writing. But having been a little disappointed by some of the previous volumes, would this one be a return to form for this dark isekai series? Let’s find out…

In the wake of the Baharuth Empire’s attempt to gauge the threat of Ainz Ooal Gown, Emperor Jircniv Rune Farlord El Nix is coerced into backing Ainz in an audacious bid for power. Ainz’s subordinate Demiurge has concocted a scheme to make Ainz ruler of his own kingdom, one that Ainz is going along with, even if it means the deaths of hundreds, if not thousands. As armies gather on the Katze Plains, a brutal massacre seems inevitable, but is anyone capable of stopping Ainz Ooal Gown?

Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. It doesn’t really have that complex a plot per se, just feeling like one big climax to everything that has gone before. In addition, Ainz’s actions during the battle show how far he has fallen, and while it’s a logical progression of the character after everything that has happened, it’s also distressing to read, especially as it ends with Ainz killing off one of the best characters in the series, and someone who could have, nay, should have been his friend.

That being said, it feels like the satisfying conclusion to a number of story arcs, even though a few potential future ones have been laid down previously. The characters are all interesting, with Emperor Jircniv’s mindset being looked into in an intriguing manner. And the battles are suitably awe-inspiring, even if they are somewhat curbstomps, and Barbro’s end is certainly satisfying, given what he manages to do during his time.

Overall, while not perfect, this volume of Overlord is a fitting end to the story arc of the novels preceding it. I’m still intrigued at what the future may hold, though…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 160

My Hero Academia volume 2: Rage, You Damned Nerd, by Kohei Horikoshi.

So, after something of a long hiatus, I’ve come back to My Hero Academia. This shounen manga series revolves around a world filled with superheroes, and an unpowered teen gaining the power he sought all his life from his hero. But would this improve after an average beginning?

All Might’s first class is throwing his students in the deep end, having them fight each other in a Heroes vs Villains simulation, but the quite literally explosive Katsuki Bakugou’s vicious grudge against Izuku has come to the boil. Even if Izuku can survive his former friend’s wrath, there’s other trials and travails to deal with. There’s selecting a class president, dealing with intrusive press, and undergoing rescue training. Unfortunately, a group of supervillains have set their eyes on the students of UA High School, and if they can’t kill All Might, then killing his charges is a good consolation prize…

Okay, so, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. This early on in a shounen manga’s plot, there’s, well, not much plot to speak of, with only the beginning of it truly happening about halfway through, with the introduction of a group of supervillains. Plus, Bakugou’s obnoxious attitude and cavalier attitude towards others’ lives does not endear me to him one jot.

For what it is, though, this volume does see an improvement. The introduction of the villains is a welcome development, raising the stakes significantly, and the fight between Izuku and Bakugou is done well. We also get proper introductions to a lot of the other characters in Izuku’s class, as well as their powers.

Overall, this volume of My Hero Academia was an improvement on the first. Time will tell if it remains that way…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 161

Introducing Shakespeare: A Graphic Guide, by Nick Groom and Piero.

One of my personal favourite book series, years ago, was Icon Books’ ‘Introducing’ series. Admittedly, they dumbed down some rather serious issues or lives of influential people for predigested reading, but I still found them enjoyable. But would Introducing Shakespeare do it for me?

Introducing Shakespeare is a look at the life and works of William Shakespeare. From his early years to his later career and death, it looks at his plays, and how their fame spread. Not only that, but how criticism of his works changed over the centuries, and had been exploited by different political elements and philosophies…

Okay, I’ll be honest. I think a glaring fault of this book is that it pays WAY too much attention to how Shakespeare’s works have been critiqued, evaluated and exploited over the later centuries than it does on the works themselves, to say little of Shakespeare. Plus, the format of this series does make this information thin on the ground already, being predigested information.

That being said, it was enjoyable enough to read, with the illustrations being charming and facetious. Not to mention that much of the information about Shakespeare’s life and plays is interesting, such as the constant revisions made to the plays. And the concept of various factions taking Shakespeare’s words to support their own dogmas is still an interesting one. I just wish it had less emphasis in this book.

Overall, this book, while it fell below expectations, nonetheless managed to sustain my interest enough. A shame it wasn’t much more…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 162

The Ancient Magus’ Bride volume 1, by Kore Yamazaki.

One of the stranger manga series I have heard of is The Ancient Magus’ Bride. A fantasy series set in modern times, I was told of how enjoyable it was by others, and heard of its following. So I decided to give it a go…

Chise Hatori is a teenaged girl whose mother died when she was young, and her father abandoned her. Passed around between uncaring relatives, tormented by her peers, and seeing things normal people couldn’t, she soon attempted suicide, only to be enticed into being sold at a human auction. But her buyer was unusual, and it wasn’t just because he didn’t want her to be his slave. No, her buyer is an ancient and inhuman mage, with an animalistic skull for a head. Elias Ainsworth intends to make Chise not only his bride, but his apprentice. And thus, Chise is introduced to a new world of magic, of strange and wonderful creatures, and deadly dangers…

Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. There is something more than a little disturbing about an ancient entity purchasing a teenager to make his bride. And the fact is, there seems to be precious little plot at the moment, almost like a shounen series, with a monster of the week (or rather, incident of the week) format, with a touch of slice of life.

That being said, the author clearly went into a lot of detail with their worldbuilding and the magic systems involved. Not only that, but the characters are all delightful and/or interesting. It feels almost like something Neil Gaiman might have written in an odd moment.

Overall, The Ancient Magus’ Bride was a pleasant surprise. Not without flaws, but certainly enjoyable for what it is…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 163

Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen, by James Goss, based on the story by Douglas Adams.

Douglas Adams’ third book in The Hitch-Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series, Life, The Universe, and Everything, has an interesting genesis, in that it originally began as a Doctor Who script. Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen never made it off the ground as either a TV script or a film script…but now, it has been novelised. But would this unearthed story that never was be a classic or something that should have remained buried?

The Doctor and Romana have to save the universe once more. Romana is appalled that it starts at a cricket match, with humanity unaware that their seemingly innocuous game is a tasteless recreation of a race memory of a genocidal war, a war that seems about to start up again. For the Krikkitmen, the genocidal war machines of the xenophobic Krikkita, have emerged once more, seeking the pieces of the Wicket Gate, the key to unlocking their masters. The fate of the universe is at stake once more, and the Doctor, Romana and K9 will be hardpressed to stop their foes…

Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. Those familiar with Life, the Universe and Everything will see a lot of old ground being trodden over once more. Not only that, but quite frankly, the quest segment in the middle does drag the story down considerably, with much of the humour being rather unfunny. It also feels awkward to have Romana be hypnotised by the Krikkitmen, as she is rarely taken over like this in the show, and the joke of the Krikkitas, even the resistance members, being sickened and repulsed to the point of nausea by aliens gets old quickly.

That being said, it does feel a bit of a fresher take at times than Life, the Universe, and Everything. What’s more, many elements of the plot added for this iteration of the story (like the War TARDISes, and the parts involving Borusa and the Matrix) are actually quite welcome. The dialogue, when it isn’t being awkward, is actually quite enjoyably Adams-like.

Overall, while dragged down rather badly by an awkward quest segment in the middle and hampered by the fact that it’s an also-ran of an already-published work, Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen is not a bad book at all, and certainly would be of interest to Whovians…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 164

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Part 3: Stardust Crusaders volume 3, by Hirohiko Araki.

Once more, I’ve come back to JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure, the famous manga series by Hirohiko Araki, and well named. Still, I decided to continue the Stardust Crusaders arc, one of the most famous arcs in the series due to the introduction of Stands. But would it be any good?

The motley group have made their way to Calcutta in India, knowing they will face further opposition from Dio’s Stand-using assassins. Their first encounter with Hol Horse and Centerfold, however, goes off to a bad start, when Polnareff, realising that Centerfold was the one who murdred his beloved sister, goes off on his own, causing the death of Avdol. But even when Polnareff avenges his sister’s death and Avdol’s, they still have to contend with other Stand users, like the Empress and the Wheel of Fortune…

Okay. I have to admit, I’m starting to get tired of the ‘Stand user of the week’ format this series is going for. There’s precious little plot and only a little more character development, to say nothing of some irritating racial stereotypes. It’s mostly one extended action scene after another with little substance beyond this.

The fights, however, are ingenious, with Polnareff’s solution to dealing with Centerfold and his Hanged Man Stand ingenious, as is Joseph’s battle against the Empress. The dialogue is fairly snappy and well-written. And the artwork is good, and even suitably grotesque when needed.

Overall, while not bad, I feel I am tiring of the Stardust Crusaders arc of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. I want a proper story before I pick it up again…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 165

The Agatha Raisin Companion, by Alison Maloney.

Recently, there has been a popular TV series called Agatha Raisin. However, this rather darkly comic murder mystery series was based on a series of books by MC Beaton. Having heard of them, I decided on a whim to read a companion to the books…

The Agatha Raisin Companion is a guide to Agatha Raisin, former PR agent, now retired to the sleepy Cotswald village of Carsely…and amateur sleuth. From MC Beaton’s discussion of why she began writing, to a look at the books, from Agatha’s quirks to her various relationships, this book looks at them all. And there’s even some recipes too…

As much as I enjoy the setting of books like the Agatha Raisin books, I have to confess that this book doesn’t really do it for me. It’s a very small book (and considering that it covers a series of 20 books, that’s actually surprising), and lacks substance, despite its compendium nature. And judging by the descriptions of the characters, well, I find myself irritated and repulsed.

This isn’t to say that this book isn’t interesting. In fact, what it lacks in substance, it makes up for in charm and wit. Not only that, but the characters are still interesting sounding, even when they’re being irritating.

That being said, The Agatha Raisin Companion was a disappointment. It has left me with no real desire to read the books or watch the TV show. I’m sure fans of the books or TV series would appreciate it, but while not bad, it just didn’t do it for me…

**½

RathDarkblade

City Watch
Mar 24, 2015
Melbourne, Victoria
BOOK 161

Introducing Shakespeare: A Graphic Guide, by Nick Groom and Piero.

One of my personal favourite book series, years ago, was Icon Books’ ‘Introducing’ series. Admittedly, they dumbed down some rather serious issues or lives of influential people for predigested reading, but I still found them enjoyable. But would Introducing Shakespeare do it for me?

Introducing Shakespeare is a look at the life and works of William Shakespeare. From his early years to his later career and death, it looks at his plays, and how their fame spread. Not only that, but how criticism of his works changed over the centuries, and had been exploited by different political elements and philosophies…

Okay, I’ll be honest. I think a glaring fault of this book is that it pays WAY too much attention to how Shakespeare’s works have been critiqued, evaluated and exploited over the later centuries than it does on the works themselves, to say little of Shakespeare. Plus, the format of this series does make this information thin on the ground already, being predigested information.

That being said, it was enjoyable enough to read, with the illustrations being charming and facetious. Not to mention that much of the information about Shakespeare’s life and plays is interesting, such as the constant revisions made to the plays. And the concept of various factions taking Shakespeare’s words to support their own dogmas is still an interesting one. I just wish it had less emphasis in this book.

Overall, this book, while it fell below expectations, nonetheless managed to sustain my interest enough. A shame it wasn’t much more…

***½
Hmm. I've studied Shakespeare in some details - mostly his tragedies, and some of his life - but although I've watched Twelfth Night at the Globe, and read a little about the histories, much of Shakespeare's work (other than the tragedies) remains a closed - ahem - folio to me.

So, Quartermass, would you say that the "Introducing Shakespeare" book would be something I should look into? Or is it too elementary, dear Watson? (Sorry - that was too easy). ;)

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
Hmm. I've studied Shakespeare in some details - mostly his tragedies, and some of his life - but although I've watched Twelfth Night at the Globe, and read a little about the histories, much of Shakespeare's work (other than the tragedies) remains a closed - ahem - folio to me.

So, Quartermass, would you say that the "Introducing Shakespeare" book would be something I should look into? Or is it too elementary, dear Watson? (Sorry - that was too easy). ;)
Unfortunately, the book itself concentrates more on the history of the criticism of Shakespeare rather than his life and plays. It's not a particularly bad book, but it wasn't what I wanted. In actual fact, I found the Horribly Famous book on his life more interesting and with a more general view, and that's mostly for kids.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 166

Tokyo Ghoul volume 6, by Sui Ishida.

So, after something of a hiatus, I’ve come back to the manga Tokyo Ghoul. But would absence make the heart grow fonder for this horror series? Let’s find out…

The CCG have decided to take the battle to the Ghoul group known as Aogiri Tree. Unfortunately, this ruthless group has set its sights on Ken Kaneki, given that he’s got Rize’s organs inside him. Kidnapped by Touka’s brother Ayato, the camp Nico, and the brutal Jason, Ken has been pulled into the darkest of Ghoul organisations, and there may be no rescue for him…

Well, here’s where the dark stuff really begins for Tokyo Ghoul. I have to admit, I felt uncomfortable with some scenes, as they don’t deal with gore as much as abuse. Plus, the escape plot that makes up part of this volume just feels a bit like unnecessary padding, and many of the new characters of Aogiri Tree don’t get enough screen time to show more of their character. Not to mention Banjo feels like a non-entity, while Ayato feels basically like a Xerox of his sister Touka, only with more belligerence and a Y-chromosome.

That being said, Aogiri Tree is an intriguing concept that serves to raise the stakes needed in this story. Jason is chilling, and Tatara steals the scene in his sole appearance in this volume. In addition, the CCG is shown to have some more interesting characters, with Juuzou Suzuya, having made his debut in the previous volume, stealing the scene in his appearances, more being hinted at why Amon hates Ghouls, and an interesting insight into the specifics of the Ghouls’ various weapon organs or kagune.

Overall, I did enjoy this volume of Tokyo Ghoul, its faults and making me uncomfortable aside. Unfortunately, it also seems like dark times are to come…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 167

Introducing Newton: A Graphic Guide, by William Rankin.

I’ve come once more to Icon Books’ Introducing series. This time, I’ve gone for a book on Isaac Newton’s life, times and works. But would I enjoy it?

Introducing Newton is a guide to Isaac Newton’s life and his various discoveries. Looking at his predecessors in looking at how the Solar System works and the nature of scientific inquiry, it serves to lay the bedrock of what is to follow. From his rather rough beginnings, to his disputes with the like of Hooke, Liebniz and Flamsteed, the book showcases his work, and how he got there…

Once more, like the Shakespeare one in this series, there’s a rather nagging problem of balance. While I understand the need to show what Newton’s predecessors did, I think this book lingers too much on the subject. In addition, well, the author clearly lionises Newton, and points the finger of blame, more often than not, at those he disputed with, when Newton himself, from what I have read previously, had a naturally ornery disposition.

Still, for what it is, this book is mostly interesting all the same. It goes into some interesting detail about Newton’s religious and alchemical studies, particularly the former, and is a fairly good biography. Plus, the various illustrations are entertaining, and Newton is definitely put into the context of his times.

Overall, while a little disappointing, especially in sucking up to Newton, this book was a good one.

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 168

Fate/Zero volume 7, by Shinjiro, based on the novels by Gen Urobochi and the Fate/Stay Night franchise by Type-Moon.

So, I have decided to come back to the Fate/Zero manga. But would the next volume be any good? Let’s find out…

The depraved Caster Gilles de Rais and his Master Ryuunosuke have found what Iskandar has done to their dungeon of horrors. After some discussions and affirmations, they decide on a twisted new plan. While Waver learns more about his Servant, and Irisviel and Arturia move bases, Gilgamesh probes into Kirei’s psyche, unearthing a startling revelation: that the disturbed young priest takes pleasure in the suffering of others, despite all his attempts to deny that part of himself. But even that may be nothing compared to what Caster has planned, for he intends to cause a massacre within the city, as a twisted spectacle…

While there’s less gory or grotesque elements to this volume, thankfully, unfortunately, there are still elements that hold it back. There hasn’t been much advancement of plot or action, just a few character pieces. Plus, the omake chapter at the end of the volume is…well, not my cup of tea.

That being said, there’s plenty of nice character moments. Gilles de Rais and Ryuunosuke’s respective monologues about God are fascinating insights into their characters, twisted as they are, as is the look into Iskandar’s psyche. And, of course, there is Gilgamesh finding out about Kirei’s darkest secret, framed very well, with Gilgamesh coupled with imagery of the Biblical Serpent tempting Kirei.

Overall, this volume of the Fate/Zero manga was a good one. I just wish it was better…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 169

Doctor Who: Scratchman, by Tom Baker and James Goss, based on the story by Tom Baker and Ian Marter.

Many abortive projects to make Doctor Who into a movie exist. One of the most infamous was Doctor Who Meets Scratchman. Written by Tom Baker and Ian Marter, the actors for the Fourth Doctor and Harry Sullivan respectively, the story involved the Doctor facing off against the Devil. But the movie never took off, and given the rather surreal and almost non-existent plot I read about in another book, it’s easy to see why. But recently, the story has been turned by Tom Baker and James Goss into a novel. Would it be better than what was intended for the movie?

The Doctor has been put on trial by the Time Lords again, for endangering existence with his latest adventure. In his defence, he relates an account of those events. Drawn to a remote Scottish island with companions Sarah and Harry, he soon finds himself beset by scarecrows, formerly villagers infected by a plague. But even the scarecrows are but the pawns of a higher power, the mysterious entity calling himself Scratchman, claiming to be the Devil. And he wants to know what the Doctor fears…

Sadly, the plot is still rather thin on the ground. In addition, some of the more surreal aspects do make it a bit hard to discern, and I found the framing device of the story, the Doctor’s trial, to be even more intrusive than it was in the TV serial Trial of a Timelord. Those scenes, plus a few others throughout the novel, feel like filler, put there to bump up the wordcount more than anything else.

That being said, the plot of the novel is a marked improvement over the original synopsis I read. It feels more like a Doctor Who story, and less like the surreal science fiction horror film with comedic elements that had the Doctor Who characters in. The main characters are on fine form, though I think Harry Sullivan is bashed a bit much, and Scratchman himself is a delight, with more of his plans actually detailed. The conclusion is more satisfying too, if a bit obscure.

Overall, Doctor Who: Scratchman is a worthy story, better than what had originally been intended.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 170

Tokyo Ghoul volume 7, by Sui Ishida.

So, now I come to the seventh volume of Tokyo Ghoul. In many ways, it’s the pivotal one, showing Ken Kaneki changing quite substantially. But would it be enjoyable?

The CCG have launched their assault on the HQs of Aogiri Tree, while the Ghouls of Anteiku make plans to rescue Ken. Unfortunately, by the time they make it, they may already be too late, for Ken is at the non-existent mercy of ‘Jason’, a psychotic Ghoul who delights in torture. Tormented by Jason physically and mentally, and by an apparition of Rize Kamishiro, the Ghoul used to hybridise Ken, the young part-Ghoul has a dark choice to make. For, in order to survive, he may have to accept that side of himself that he has fought against for so long…

Tokyo Ghoul is most certainly not for everyone. The torture scenes, of course, would be harrowing to most readers. There’s some pretty grotesque and distressing scenes in general, making this an acquired taste.

Of course, what I said above doesn’t detract from the fact that this is actually the best volume in the series so far. The torture is, thankfully, not dwelled upon as much as I feared, and is more discussed than shown. Ken’s breaking point is very well done, and there’s some great action scenes, including Ken and Yamori’s fight, and Juzo Suzuya’s rather spectacular entrance against a group of Ghoul snipers. And the character moments are on point too.

If there ever was a volume of Tokyo Ghoul that could be said to be perfect, despite the horror and violence, it would be this one. A major turning point for the series…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 171

Rescuing Da Vinci, by Robert M Edsel.

Something that has emerged or perhaps re-emerged was the work of the so-called Monuments Men, soldiers for the Allies during the Second World War who dealt with the rescue and repatriation of artwork stolen by the Nazis. I had to admit to being intrigued by this, so when I found a book detailing the background of these events and what happened, I decided to give it a go. But would I enjoy it?

Rescuing Da Vinci is a look at the extraordinary events of the Nazis’ art theft and the return of much of it. From Hitler’s avarice for art to the Nazis’ plans during the Second World War, and then to the actions of the Monuments Men, this book takes a look at these times. It also contains pictures of the artworks rescued, as well as the key players involved and some things lost…

If there’s one thing this book has against it, it’s that it’s more of a picture book. The vast majority of it is dedicated to photos of the various artworks, events and people involved. There’s not as much indepth information as I would have liked from a book like this either.

That being said, the information that is there is quite good, and rather novel for me personally. It was certainly enjoyable getting an insight into the key players and their motivations. What’s more, the photos gave some interesting insight as well.

Overall, this was an interesting book, but not as substantial as I would have liked it to have been…

***½

User Menu

Newsletter