The Quatermass Perpetual Book-Reading Blog

Welcome to the Sir Terry Pratchett Forums
Register here for the Sir Terry Pratchett forum and message boards.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 135

How to Manage Your Slaves, by Jerry Toner.

I have to admit, Roman history does somewhat fascinate me. Even the more morbid parts of it interest me. So, I decided to read this quirky book written by Jerry Toner, with much of it being Toner pretending to be a Roman writer…

Marcus Sidonius Falx’s family has owned slaves for generations, and he considers himself an authority on their management. To this end, he has written a book giving advice on how to treat them, how to buy, employ, punish and free them. Throughout, there is commentary by historian Jerry Toner…

I think one of the main faults of the book is partly the tone with which it is written. Toner, in writing from the point of view of a Roman, does make the Roman sound too pompous and with somewhat too different a moral system to us. It feels a little more like a satire than a serious, if engaging, history book, and I feel that some of the chapters do wax on for a little too long for my liking.

But for all that, it’s still a fairly engaging book, with Toner’s conceit of writing as Falx well done, with the historical elements and the anecdotes, true or not, presented well more often than not. Not only that, but he provides references for the history and anecdotes at the end of the commentary at the end of each chapter. Plus, it’s intriguing to see how some people’s preconceptions about slavery during Roman times (especially where freeing slaves or how early Christians treated them were concerned) were wrong.

Overall, How to Manage Your Slaves was an interesting enough history book. Certainly well worth a read…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
I'd finished this review last night, but due to problems with this BBS, well...

BOOK 136

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Part 2: Battle Tendency volume 2, by Hirohiko Araki.

It’s past time that I continued with the Battle Tendency arc of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. But how would it fare after an absence from it? Let’s find out…

Joseph Joestar and Caesar Zeppeli aren’t getting along, but they need to cooperate in order to deal with a trio of Pillar Men found beneath Rome. Unfortunately, the Pillar Men, Kars, Wamuu, and Esidisi, soon wake up, and Joseph and Caesar are no match for them. A desperate bluff from Joseph has the Pillar Men give him 33 days to train to become better, or die of poison. So, Joseph and Caesar must head to Venice, to train under Hamon master Lisa Lisa, who has a training regime that may just kill them before the Pillar Men do…

Once more, I feel that the art style does take some getting used to, and some of the concepts presented are ridiculously over the top. And I have to confess, for all Joseph’s brashness and conceit, Caesar Zeppeli is an arrogant character who makes me have mixed feelings about him, compared to his grandfather William from the Phantom Blood arc. Plus, the concept of allying with the Nazis, even if to prevent a world-ending threat, is a little discomforting.

Still, the fights are pretty damned creative, I have to say, as is the training regime presented. What’s more, the character of Lisa Lisa manages to carry off the right combination of stoicism, harshness and yet humanity needed for a mentor character. Plus, the characters of the Pillar Men themselves are actually quite interesting, particularly the strangely honourable Wamuu, and the arrogant and volatile Esidisi.

Overall, this was an enjoyable volume of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. Here’s hoping the next ones are as good…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 137

The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia, by Kazuya Sakai et al.

I have to confess, one of my favourite game-related books was the Legend of Zelda: Hyrule Historia. In a way, it was a part-history of the Legend of Zelda games, part-making of, and certainly it offered quite a lot of depth to the series. Still, I wondered if buying a later book in the same series, an official encyclopaedia of the games, would be worth my time and money…

The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia takes an in-depth look at the lore, characters and history of the Legend of Zelda video games. From the very first game released for the NES in the 80s, all the way up to Tri-Force Heroes, this work knits the stories together into a fairly cohesive whole. And rare insight is given into the various characters and timelines shown.

To be honest, a lot of this stuff was covered already in Hyrule Historia. In addition, there’s actually quite a lack of making-of material in this work, and I feel that’s really to the detriment of this book. I felt more insight could have been given into the development of the games.

Which is a shame, really, as the rest of it is really, really good. For all that this is treading similar ground to Hyrule Historia, it feels a little better organised and polished in some ways, and while not quite an encyclopaedia in the strictest sense of the term, nonetheless is organised in a good manner, and the information presented is, frankly, fairly exhaustive. What little making-of material that is presented is presented well, and indeed, the overall presentation in general is beautiful and enjoyable.

In short, The Legend of Zelda Encyclopedia, while not perfect by any means, is nonetheless one of the most comprehensive and enjoyable works of its kind that I have ever read. If you’re a fan of the series, get it.

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 138

The Seven Deadly Sins volume 1, by Nakaba Suzuki.

One shounen manga series that I have been considering dipping my toes into was The Seven Deadly Sins. I’d heard some things about it quite by chance, so I decided to read it, in case it grabbed my interest. But whether it would do so was another matter entirely…

Ten years ago, the Seven Deadly Sins, a group of the strongest knights of Britannia, were declared traitors, and have scattered across the land. Now, King Liones has been deposed by the Holy Knights who were supposed to serve him, and they have begun brutally conscripting the people into a war. Princess Elizabeth, adopted daughter of the king, is seeking out the Seven Deadly Sins to ask for their help. She finds the Sin of Wrath, the childish and perverted Meliodias, who nonetheless has the strength to help her reclaim the kingdom in his short frame…

Okay, like many shounen manga, the story is very thin at this stage of development. In addition, the perversity of Meliodias does get old real fast, Elizabeth doesn’t seem to have much meat to her character yet, and the villains so far seem very generic. So too is the medieval fantasy setting, despite its relative novelty in a shounen series.

Still, unlike the usual ‘monster of the week’ stories that usually open a manga series of this type, the overarching storyline seems to already be hinted at throughout. I have to admit, I’m already impressed with the character of Diane, a giantess who is also one of the Seven Deadly Sins. The artwork is good, as is the action, and the characters in general, despite their faults, are promising enough.

Overall, while somewhat average, the first volume of The Seven Deadly Sins was enjoyable. Maybe it’ll pick up with the next volume…

***½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 139

Doctor Who: Twice Upon a Time, by Paul Cornell, from the screenplay by Steven Moffat.

So, here I am, about to embark on the final novelisation of the new series of Doctor Who released so far. But how would I enjoy it? Let’s find out…

The Twelfth Doctor has had enough. He is dying, but he refuses to regenerate, due to the losses and sorrow he has gone through. But in the snows of the South Pole, he finds himself confronted by his first incarnation, who has apparently decided on the same course of action. And they soon find themselves meeting an officer from the First World War as time grinds to a halt. Confronted by a mysterious Glass Woman and what appears to be Bill Potts, the two Doctors must unravel a mystery…and perhaps find the will to continue…

The storyline of the original serial was thin and, frankly, disappointing in some regards already, and the novelisation does little to improve this. I’m actually disappointed that no real attempt was made to expand the story to any great degree. Instead, the original was, well, polished.

Still, the story is a good celebration of what makes the Doctor the Doctor. Paul Cornell’s prose is, as always, a delight, and some dialogue changes are made to clarify plot points or to enhance the overall experience. It certainly feels a little deeper and more meaningful than the original TV version.

Overall, while not as good as it could have been, the novelisation of Twice Upon a Time was nonetheless an enjoyable story.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 140

Tokyo Ghoul volume 1, by Sui Ishija.

Tokyo Ghoul is one of those manga series I’ve been meaning to try out for a while now. One of the more popular horror manga series, it got my attention. Time would tell whether it was worth that attention, though…

Ken Kaneki is a young university student, one who has something of an introverted nature and a fascination with morbid subjects. But even he is unprepared for a date that goes horribly wrong when his date, Rize Kamishiro, attacks him. For Rize is a Ghoul, a human offshoot that eats human flesh instead of normal food. But she dies, and to save him from his injuries, the surgeon transplants her kidney into Kaneki. But that means Kaneki has become part-Ghoul, and must contend with an ever-growing hunger for human flesh…and the customs and mores of Ghoul society…

In reading this, I am reminded of the recent binge I did of the anime adaptation of Elfen Lied. Certainly, there’s the same morbid and dark atmosphere and subject matter that would be offputting to more than a few. Plus, the plot so far is still finding its feet at this early stage, and I have to admit, Tohka’s rather unlikeable for the most part, at least at this stage.

Still, the story is actually very well-written, with rather highbrow references that feel integrated with the piece rather than dropped in just for the sake of pseudo-intellectual discourse. Ken Kaneki is a brilliant protagonist, filled with horror at his transformation, while I have to confess to liking Yoshimura already. Plus, for all my dislike of much of what Tohka does in the story in this volume, there are hints to a deeper trauma and a reason for her unpleasantness, rather than being rather two-dimensional.

While doubtlessly not for everyone, the first Tokyo Ghoul volume was intriguing enough for me to want to continue.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 141

Spice & Wolf volume 1, by Isuna Hasekura.

So, here I am trying out another light novel series. This one is the fairly famous Spice & Wolf, a most unusual fantasy series that doesn’t involve a fight to save the world or a kingdom. No, it’s about economics and trade…

Kraft Lawrence is a travelling merchant, and his stop in Pasloe during an annual harvest festival involving a local wolf deity seemed like an ordinary one. And yet, as he leaves the village, he finds himself with a stowaway nestled amongst the wheat: a girl with wolf ears and a tail to match. He soon learns that this is Holo, the wolf deity, who is tired of the villagers believing her to be capricious, and with the Church beginning to take a dim view of pagan rituals, she believes it’s time to move on. Travelling together, Lawrence and Holo soon learn of a business scheme involving silver coins that sounds too good to be true…except maybe there may be something to it. Unfortunately, that may mean that both Lawrence and Holo are targeted, and their burgeoning partnership may be torn asunder…

To be honest, the economics and trading concepts in this story went over my head. This made the particulars of the story all the more harder to handle for me, and I think other readers might have a similar problem. I also have some issues with how the ups and downs in Lawrence and Holo’s partnership are handled, not to mention that the plot is rather too simple, with a plot hole involved with one of the key players in the climax.

Still, the concept alone is novel. There’s no high stakes, just a gentle story, not an adventure. Lawrence and Holo’s relationship is also rather sweet in that there’s no real romance, just a gently growing friendship, which makes it all the more refreshing. In addition, some of the concepts portrayed here, while a bit over my head, are still somewhat fascinating, and it’s clear that the author put a lot of work into it.

Overall, I have to confess to enjoying Spice & Wolf’s first volume. Some parts of it went right over my head, but other parts did very well…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 142

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Part 2: Battle Tendency volume 3, by Hirohiko Araki.

Now it’s time for me to return to the Battle Tendency arc of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. It’s past time that I re-embarked on this manga series. Hopefully, I will be able to follow it to its conclusion…

Joseph believes that Esidisi is dead, but the disembodied brain of the Pillar Man takes over Lisa Lisa’s assistant Suzi Q, and only a cooperative attack from Joseph and Caesar manages to put the vicious Pillar Man down for good. Unfortunately, through Esidisi’s influence, Suzi Q has sent the Red Stone of Aja to Switzerland…and the surviving Pillar Men are not the only ones looking for it. Von Stroheim has survived, his body rebuilt to be able to take on the Pillar Men, but even with a new ally of convenience, Joseph, Caesar and Lisa Lisa cannot rest easy. A difficult confrontation is approaching, and not everyone will survive…

At this point, the plot proper has most devolved into chasing down the Macguffin of the story arc, interspersed with fighting. And to be perfectly honest, Joseph and Suzi Q’s romance is off to an embarrassing start. That does bring the quality of this volume down somewhat, as does Caesar’s rather unnecessary sacrifice, a repeat of what happened to his grandfather.

Still, the story, for what it is, is enjoyable. Caesar’s past is a good one, and the return of von Stroheim is surprisingly welcome. The battles are rather creative and well-drawn, and the stakes are beginning to feel greater and greater.

Overall, this volume of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure maintains the quality for this story arc. I’m hoping it stays that way for the conclusion…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 143

Disney During World War II: How the Walt Disney Studio Contributed to Victory in the War, by John Baxter.

A long time ago, when I was a kid, I remember reading a book on Donald Duck, and found myself puzzled and bemused by the films he appeared in during the Second World War. Now, decades later, I happened to stumble across this book, and decided that I should give it a go. But would I enjoy it?

Disney During World War II is a look at what Walt Disney Studios did during the Second World War, starting just after the attack on Pearl Harbour. It looks at the various films, from training films to propaganda. In addition, it looks at the abortive attempt at The Gremlins, a film based on a story by Roald Dahl…

Reading about propaganda is often disconcerting at the best of times, and this is no different. Certainly reading about some of the stereotypes used in the films that wouldn’t be PC today would be a little off-putting for readers. In addition, I have to say that the author seems to have just a touch too much of a pro-Disney slant, and I get the feeling that there was more material here than was put into the finished book, more historical context as well as looking at some of the disputes that went on.

That being said, the book in itself is very fascinating and informative. It’s also presented very well, and there’s some discussion of, for example, why Mickey Mouse didn’t appear as much in the Second World War cartoons as Donald did, and the fact that an entire chapter is dedicated to an analysis of the abortive The Gremlins project, one of the fabled Disney films that never was, is brilliant. Plus, the fact that Disney revolutionised educational films, or at least made them very palatable, was intriguing.

Overall, while marred by some elements, this book was a surprisingly enjoyable read.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 144

Tokyo Ghoul volume 2, by Sui Ishija.

I’ve decided to venture forth once more into the dark world of Tokyo Ghoul. This intriguing dark horror manga grabbed my interest before. Perhaps it would continue to do so…

Ken Kaneki is learning the ropes of being a Ghoul, under the watchful eye of the kindly Anteiku coffee shop owner Yoshimura. However, he is still struggling to cope with his plight, and the cold attitude of Tohka Kirishima doesn’t help. Ken begins to realise that not all Ghouls are monsters, especially when he learns that Yoshimura gets his meat from suicide victims, as well as harbouring mother and daughter Ghouls Ryouko and Hinami Fueguchi. Unfortunately, the Investigators of the Commission of Counter Ghoul, known to the Ghouls as ‘Doves’, make no distinction between any type of Ghoul, and they are often as vicious as the beings they hunt…

Once more, the darkness of this story would be considerably off-putting for the average reader. The dark themes and disturbing imagery will certainly turn many off. In addition, the story is still trying to find its feet at this early stage, and I find the characters of the Doves, particularly Mado, to be rather cardboard antagonists, something that does the morally ambiguous air of this series no favours.

Still, we have some progression in the story, with some world-building, and we’re finally beginning to see some character development for Tohka, showing her more human side beneath her inhuman façade. In addition, the Fueguchis’ story is both heartwarming and heartbreaking, and we have the debut of the CCG proper in the story, establishing them as nemeses for the story to come. Plus, we have the debut of Ken’s iconic mask.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul was an enjoyable one. I just hope it stays the same…or improves…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 145

Overlord volume 8: The Two Leaders, by Kugane Maruyama.

So, finally, I get to read the next volume of Overlord. This fantasy series has kept my attention, but there have been more than a few ups and downs for the series. The previous volume was certainly a disappointment in many ways, so I hoped this one would be better…

The woods surrounding Carne Village are filled with unease lately, and Enri Emmott, one of those rescued by Ainz Ooal Gown during the attack by the Slane Theocracy, is troubled. But it’s not just leading a group of goblins to defend the village against foes that troubles her, but also her relationship with Nfirea Baleare, as well as a startling proposal from the headman of the village. Meanwhile, Ainz is having what he thinks is a normal day, but unfortunately, Albedo’s twisted obsession with him will come to a head, and his paths and Enri’s may intersect once more…

There’s not really much of a plot here. Rather, it’s two sides of the same story, presented from two points of view, and that’s to the detriment of the plot proper. Plus, a few elements seemed obscure, preventing me from understanding at least one key element of the plot.

Still, the slice of life story was an enjoyable one, weird though it was in some elements. The humour was on par most of the time, and the character pieces were actually enjoyable and fun. We get some development of Enri, Nfirea, and Lupusregina Beta, along with some interesting looks into Ainz, Aura, Mare and Albedo, with the latter being involved in a darkly hilarious scene.

Overall, while not as great as it could have been, the latest volume of Overlord was enjoyable enough. I look forward to the next one…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 146

Tokyo Ghoul volume 3, by Sui Ishija.

Tokyo Ghoul is one of those series that I was surprised that I enjoyed. Still, would the third time be the charm? Well, let’s find out…

Touka’s crusade against the CCG for killing Ryouko is causing problems, especially when an attempt by Touka and Ken to get information from the CCG draws the deranged Mado’s attention to them. Hinami, disturbed by what Touka has done to avenge her mother, flees the sanctuary of Anteiku…but when Touka catches up with the young Ghoul, Mado is waiting. Meanwhile, Ken must face off against Amon, only to find that Amon has his own reasons to fight…

I’ll be honest, this volume doesn’t really have much progression of plot, beyond continuing the storyline started in the previous volume. In addition, Mado, frankly, isn’t that interesting an antagonist, despite the rather overblown attempts to make him out to be something more than a deranged, one-man Ghoul-killing machine in the last chapter of the volume. He doesn’t really deserve the reader’s sympathy, and Touka needs some more development herself.

Still, there’s a wonderful stark highlighting of the moral ambiguity, especially with Hinami being forced to confront her mother’s killer. It’s rather tragic, and yet, despite being a monstrous Ghoul, Hinami tries to keep her humanity, and Touka seems to be slowly regaining hers. Plus, Ken’s confrontation with Amon shows more of their own humanity, with Amon showing himself to be more of an anti-hero than the deranged lunatic that was Mado.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul was great. Rather dark and sorrowful, but still great…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 147

A History of Video Games in 64 Objects, by the staff of the World Video Game Hall of Fame.

So, I saw this book at my local library, and found myself intrigued. I mean, video game history is often of interest to me. But I have been disappointed before. Maybe I would do so again…

A History of Video Games in 64 Objects is a book by the staff of the World Video Game Hall of Fame at the Strong National Museum of Play in New York. A selection of 64 objects, ranging from the Humpty Dumpty pinball machine to the game That Dragon, Cancer, details the potted history of how video games came to be and how they developed into the medium they’re known for today. With surprising oddities like a Nintendo controller for quadriplegics, to rather more infamous examples like the Atari ET game, we have detailed anecdotes of key events in video game history…

Okay, let’s lay the bad stuff on the table first. I personally think that there were many glaring omissions that this book should not have excluded (like the Final Fantasy or Metal Gear series, for example), and other parts that were just plain underrepresented. I also feel that a couple of the later ones, while sentimental and nice, don’t really add anything to the actual history of video games, and others should have just been excluded, period, in favour of more notable pieces.

That being said, the anecdotes that are given are enjoyable. I have to confess that some of the anecdotes for the more obscure stuff was enjoyable, and despite some anecdotes being familiar from other books I’ve read on the subject, they were still entertaining. In addition, the book is very well-presented, and there’s some interesting sidebars, with a recurring subject being the moral panics caused by video games.

Overall, this book was enjoyable enough. I just find myself wanting more, considering what it left out…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 148

Tokyo Ghoul volume 4, by Sui Ishija.

Once more, I take the plunge into the dark world of Tokyo Ghoul. After all that happened in the third volume, where the quality went up, I was hoping to get more of the same. But would the fourth volume deliver?

Ken Kaneki is still learning much about the Ghoul society he’s been thrust into. Learning more about Touka and Hinami is one thing, and helping a still injured and belligerent Nishiki Nishio is another. But his path will soon cross with Shu Tsukiyama, a charming young man who is also the infamously sadistic and epicurean Ghoul known as the Gourmet. And when Ken learns that Yomo and Uta’s friend Itori has information about Rize, he learns that, in exchange for said information, he will have to get closer to Tsukiyama, and brave the dangers of a Ghoul Restaurant…

After the more heavy emotions of the previous volume, the series goes back to more standard horror, and I have to say, it is to its mild detriment. While showing more elements of Ghoul society is intriguing, it also just feels, well, almost clichéd to have a restaurant of cannibals out of some twisted horror story. In addition, some parts, like what happened to Tsukiyama’s first on-page victim or the character of Ami, feel rather discordant.

That being said, Tsukiyama is certainly an intriguing character who deserves some more screentime. In addition, we see more humanising of Touka, not to mention a surprising bit of humanising for Nishiki. And there’s the intriguing new addition of Itori of the Helter Skelter bar, and the hints she has given about something deeper to the One-Eyed Ghoul, as well as Rize’s demise.

Overall, while not quite as good as the previous volume, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul was certainly enjoyable enough.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 149

Berserk Official Guidebook, by Kentaro Miura.

Berserk is one of those series that, despite the unrelenting darkness within, I can’t help but be drawn to. Having only read the first volume of the manga, but also having watched a number of the anime adaptations, I decided to take a risk and get a hold of the guidebook. But would I regret that?

The Berserk Official Guidebook examines the story, characters and making of the infamous dark fantasy manga series. From the Golden Age all the way to Guts and his companions arriving at Elf Island, this guide examines them, as well as key links between characters, and secrets revealed. Not to mention an interview with Kentaro Miura himself, and a preview of what’s to come in future volumes…

Okay, let’s get the bad stuff out of the way. Berserk is not for everyone, and even though they thankfully don’t include some graphic parts of the series, others are still shown. In addition, it seems like such an abbreviated overview of the series, though to be fair, this is a common symptom to many guidebooks of its type.

That being said, it’s still rather enjoyable. The lore and mythos of the series is on full display here, and it’s very fascinating, especially how it shows the evolution of the various characters. It certainly goes to show that there’s more to Berserk than gore and violence. In addition, the interview with Kentaro Miura actually gives some intriguing insight into his thought processes for the series.

Overall, while not for everyone, this guidebook was surprisingly good for me. Maybe one day, I will read more of the manga…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 150

Tokyo Ghoul volume 5, by Sui Ishija.

So, here I am, about to embark on reading more of Tokyo Ghoul. This dark horror series has hooked me surprisingly from the get-go. Here’s hoping it continues that way…

Ken Kaneki may have survived the Ghoul Restaurant, but Shu Tsukiyama isn’t done with the skittish half-Ghoul just yet. When Nishiki’s human girlfriend Kimi begs Ken for help, she is soon abducted by Tsukiyama, who wants a unique dish to satisfy his palate: to have Ken feed on her, before Tsukiyama feeds on him. But even if Tsukiyama can be stopped, the CCG are stepping up their activities against the Ghouls of the 20th Ward, and one of their most insane agents may be coming after Ken…

Leaving aside the dark story matter of this series, there is one issue I have with this volume. There’s a mild pacing issue, where flashbacks (albeit informative ones) are inserted explaining stuff about Nishiki’s and Rize’s pasts that breaks the flow somewhat of the story. Also, much of this volume is an extended battle between Tsukiyama and the others, with little actual plot per se.

These are actually fairly minor quibbles, though. Nishiki’s past is still a welcome addition to showing how he became like he was in the present storyline, as is the exploration of Rize’s character prior to this. The fight between Tsukiyama and the others is well done, with a number of touching moments both macabre and not. And we have a further expansion of the CCG agents, including the debut of the intriguingly twisted Suzuya.

Overall, this volume of Tokyo Ghoul was an enjoyable one. Not perfect, but not far from it…

****½

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 151

A Visitor’s Guide to the Ancient Olympics, by Neil Faulkner.

Some books I get based on whims. This book, by archaeologist Neil Faulkner, is one of them. But how well would it grab me?

A Visitor’s Guide to the Ancient Olympics purports to be a guide for a visitor to the Olympic Games in 388 BC, when these famous games were at their height. Presenting the games in the original context as part-ritual and part-display of wealthy aristocratic athletes, this guide also shows what you can do in Olympia, and what to see. And, of course, there are the events, five days of a variety of athletic events…

Okay, if there’s a major fault in this, it’s the fact that the actual Olympic events themselves take up maybe only the final fifth of the book. You’d think Faulkner would be able to write more about the events than he manages to write, and while I admit that what he writes about the context of the Olympics at the time is interesting, it also feels like filler at times. The sort of stuff used to bulk up an already slim book.

Still, for what it is, it’s still quite a fascinating popular history book. The sometimes fairly humorous prose draws you into what can be fairly dry material, and Faulkner also provides context for some things that would be shocking for modern audiences. And even what is fairly blatant filler is still interesting, I have to say.

Overall, this book was enjoyable, though I think there should have been more emphasis on the games themselves. A shame that…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
So, what I'm thinking of doing, instead of reading individual manga volumes from now on, I intend to read multiple volumes at once if they're part of a story arc. I'm wondering whether I should do that as a separate thing, really. You know, instead of a 'Let's Play' or 'Viewer's Reaction', I read a particular manga or graphic novel series and have that as a separate thread.

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 152

JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure: Part 2: Battle Tendency volume 4, by Hirohiko Araki.

So, after a couple of months’ hiatus, I come back to this book-reading thread. And I begin with an ending, the end of Battle Tendency, the second story arc of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure. But how would it turn out?

With Caesar dead, Joseph Joestar and Lisa Lisa set out to track down his killer, the Pillar Man Wamuu, and with him, his leader, Kars. The two opposing sides agree to battle each other to the death, with the Red Stone of Aja on the line, and with it, Kars’ desire for perfection. But even if Joseph can win a brutal contest against Wamuu that is part chariot race and part gladiator bout, Kars may be willing to do anything to gain the Red Stone, and the very fate of the world will depend on whether they can stop him…

Much of this final volume is a prolonged series of battles against Wamuu and Kars, more incident than story. And in truth, I feel that the chariot race does overstay its welcome somewhat, taking place over ten gruelling chapters that feel more like padding than anything else. And the way Kars is dealt with, I feel, is a bit of a deus ex machina that came about when Hirohiko Araki wrote himself into a corner.

That being said, it’s still enjoyable enough. We finally get some revelations about Lisa Lisa and Kars’ pasts that, while I feel were somewhat belated, nonetheless help with the character development. In addition, the action sequences were quite exciting and well thought out, even if some elements felt like padding. And indeed, this volume does manage to make a good ending to this story arc, as well as setting things up for the next, and perhaps most famous, arc of the franchise.

Overall, this volume of JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure was a good ending to an arc that surprised me as to how good it was. Now, when I go back to it, I’ll be concentrating more on the Stardust Crusaders arc…

Quatermass

Sergeant-at-Arms
Dec 7, 2010
BOOK 153

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild- Creating a Champion, by Naoyuki Kayama et al.

Having obtained a Nintendo Switch for Christmas, and the latest Legend of Zelda game, Breath of the Wild, it’s rather fitting that I read a book on the making of the game. Like previous books relating to the famous game series, it is glossy and colourful. But is there any substance to it?

Creating a Champion is a definitive look at the making of and story of Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. From concept art to character designs, and from story analysis to timelines, this book looks into the game’s lore and creation. Not only that, but commentary from the makers of the game offer added insight into what went into the making of this game…

Now, if I had to raise one complaint about this book, it’d be the long section of concept art. True, it’s very beautiful art, but it does sort of feel like it’s interrupting the flow of the book. And these books, generally, are triumphs of style over substance.

And yet, I actually do feel that these are so minor quibbles as to be, well, easily dismissed. There is a lot of information on this one game (surprising, considering there is more here than in earlier Zelda books published by Dark Horse). For once, the hefty price seems, if not absolutely justified, then at least not as onerous. The book manages a perfect balance, for the most part, between presentation and information, the latter being somewhat and surprisingly exhaustive.

Overall, this book was an enjoyable insight into an enjoyable game. Zelda fans should avail themselves of it…

User Menu

Newsletter